Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How fast do you drive?

I recently got back from a 2500 mile trip, and had a great time on the road. I was in no hurry to get to my destination and averaged about 60 MPH the whole trip. Part of the fun for me is driving without feeling like I absolutely have to be somewhere at a certain time. During the last part of my trip I was driving in the slow lane, feeling quite relaxed, traffic was light so I was not watching my rear view mirror as often as I normally do. Then all of a sudden I hear a loud ROAR driving past me, it's a 500HP+ diesel rig towing a huge trailer going about 85-90 mph! He literally just about blew me off the road. I bet the traffic going the other direction on the freeway could feel this guys draft. Scared the cr** out of me.
It just makes me wonder, why would anyone feel a need to go that fast, especially while towing a large trailer. Is anyone in this forum really in that big of a hurry to arrive at their destination?

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
how fast

The can do that because of there weight. My 35 foot class A is heavy but about half there weight. I stay steady between 65 and 70 MPH but on average 65 is best for us.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
I recently got back from a 2500 mile trip, and had a great time on the road. I was in no hurry to get to my destination and averaged about 60 MPH the whole trip. Part of the fun for me is driving without feeling like I absolutely have to be somewhere at a certain time. During the last part of my trip I was driving in the slow lane, feeling quite relaxed, traffic was light so I was not watching my rear view mirror as often as I normally do. Then all of a sudden I hear a loud ROAR driving past me, it's a 500HP+ diesel rig towing a huge trailer going about 85-90 mph! He literally just about blew me off the road. I bet the traffic going the other direction on the freeway could feel this guys draft. Scared the cr** out of me.
It just makes me wonder, why would anyone feel a need to go that fast, especially while towing a large trailer. Is anyone in this forum really in that big of a hurry to arrive at their destination?

Did you get a good look at the rig? Was it one of the NASCAR drivers/teams? They are known to travel by MH. Pulling a trailer would also make sense. And that would explain the speed. Just a thought . . .

I was driving my MH to a storage lot when I was accosted (along with eveyone else) by a gang of motorcycles -- at least 50 -- who were stretched out about a mile long and who drove AT LEAST 95 mph and were weaving in and out of the lanes. Scared me to death as they came out of no where.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave and Jaime View Post
Did you get a good look at the rig? Was it one of the NASCAR drivers/teams?
I didn't know they trained new Nascar drivers by letting them race to the next track

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
62 MPH @ 1400RPM in 6th OD on the open road. Slow and steady if there's something I wanna see and traffic is light. If I'm holding up traffic I'll pull over into a wide spot.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I set my cruise control for 60 and watch the crowds go by.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
A word of caution to those who like the fast lane... You're in an RV with tires that have a MAX speed rating of no more than 75mph.
Think about it...

ps... I keep it at about 58mph... she seems to like that speed.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
My RV seems to like 1800 rpms. Which is around 63 mph. Like Mudpuppy, set the cruise and watch the moving on, move on.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #9

About 62/63. On rare occasions when I'm in a hurry I might do 65.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
60 on interstates,,,,,,speed limits or 5 below on secondary roads, depending on traffic and abilitity to move over for others to pass......
Old 09-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mostly on the Interstates I run no faster than 62-65mph. On a long down hill it might creep up a little. 1650rpm at 62 mph. If I'm in a hurry I leave earlier.
Safe travels...
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I drive the posted speed limit and stay to the right. They still pass me. Then you have the nose pickers driving in the left hand lane doing ten mph slower than the posted limit. Except in Florida where the go 20mph slower than the posted limit in the left lane.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wannabe, I travel 62-63 on interstates, except when I get within 100-or so miles from home, then I travel about 65-66 on good interstate.

I just travel along and hope I don't have to stop up ahead and rescue one of these hot shot fast drivers from the wreckage of his big diesel. For those of you who travel 75-80 in your motorhome, have you ever thought what would happen to you if you have a front tire blow out at that speed? It doesn't matter if you have a gas or diesel, $25k motor home or a $2.5million one, it will all end as a pile of junk on the side of the road and you may not survive. If youare lucky, you will not kill anybody but yourself.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:10 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Well in the Land of No Guns and No Drinking and Driving No Cell Phones ,we now have No More Speeding!
New Rules could result in Losing the Vehicle if caught speeding.as well as Your Driver's License.
There will be Zero Tolerance in School Zones and if You are 40 kph over the Speed Limit You automatically Lose Your License, have Your Vehicle Impounded for 7 Days get 3 Penalty Points and Your Insurance cost will go up for 3 Years!
From this moment on I will be joining the ranks of the Doddering Old Farts! I can't afford to lose My License, or My Vehicle!