Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:23 PM   #29

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I guess I have been guilty of doing some tailgating from time to time.

Why would someone drive about 10 over the speed limit when the road is open and about 10 under the speed limit when there is oncoming traffic?
Because they are chicken. What bites me are the yahoos that start to pass a semi, then slow down while passing.

Back when I drove vehicles with stick shifts and carburetors, I used to make tailgaters back off by switching the engine off for a few seconds, then switching it back on. That usually would create a nice flame out the tailpipe with the sound of a gunshot and the idiot would quickly back off. It's a wonder I never blew up a muffler.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #30

You were lucky or you could afford better mufflers. I destroyed two mufflers that way!
Old 05-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #31

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Back in those days I was never bothered by tailgaters.. Other than one cop (And no he did nto give me a ticket).

But POKE-ALONG-Cassady did bother me one day.. When he turned off I had finally gotten up to the 1st car behind hin and I hit the gas on that old chevy.. Muffler was basically gone (I got a new one the next day) and when that baby kicked down into "Passing gear" The engine sounded off like you'd not believe... RIGHT BESIDE Mr and Mrs Slow Poke... That was sweet.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:00 PM   #32

8 potential tailgaters are born in the US every minute.
Best of luck.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:11 PM   #33

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSherwin View Post
You were lucky or you could afford better mufflers. I destroyed two mufflers that way!
Keep in mind this was over 40 years ago.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #34

Glass packs were great for that!

Lots of flames with side pipes.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Because they are chicken. What bites me are the yahoos that start to pass a semi, then slow down while passing.

Back when I drove vehicles with stick shifts and carburetors, I used to make tailgaters back off by switching the engine off for a few seconds, then switching it back on. That usually would create a nice flame out the tailpipe with the sound of a gunshot and the idiot would quickly back off. It's a wonder I never blew up a muffler.
Gordon DeWald
They feel they have the right and duty to control the speed, speed limit be damned.

LadyFitz
My brother set the back seat floor mats afire doing that with his 39
dodge. Oh yea, did I mention, I was riding in the back seat!

Glenn
Old 05-29-2015, 03:55 PM   #36

Tail Gaiters

I have been reading every ones Post on this subject, I can see the frustration of those behind not going as fast as they like and even been unable ble to pass.
the tail Gaiters that I really dislike are the ones that Get so close I cant see the front of there car/truck in my rear view mirror, only see the wind shield. not these a*% could go around but wont, this driving on a 3 lane road, I drive the speed limit and stay in the center lane so anyone can go around. these folks for some reason Tailgate me with both left and right lanes fully open. I will turn on my Emergency Flashers and back off, but some come right up, I will try again with the Flashes and if all else fails slow down till they pass or stop. If they are that stupid a driver with Road Rage then there mine. PTSD on a Mean Streak.
kekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:07 PM   #37

The problem with arguing with stupid people is they bring you down to their level, and they've got more practice at being stupid. Over the years, I've learned the only solution to tailgaters is to ignore them. Speed up, and it rewards bad behave. Slow down, and they get closer and might be enraged enough to do something really stupid.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 04:19 PM   #38
SLK

I like to tap my brake peddle just enough to light up my brake lights, but not slow down. This usually works, except for the very dense. Here in California we see quite a bit of this. Drivers have changed a lot. California drivers use to be some of the best, but not so much any more.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:21 PM   #39

windshield washer with brake fliud and a LONG wand out of the slip stream of the motorhome ,cant wash it off and it ruins the paint , and if your going to go crazy long cable to a jar of ballbearings at the tail end of motorhome ,let 2-6 out at a time ,always get even +1
bulldog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:22 PM   #40

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
How well I remember those days....dual exhaust
was a hoot. Cops not so much!
Cops are hoot. When I was a kid I threw a pack of fire crackers under a patrol car scared the crap out of the cop.when I took off he chased me behind an old country hotel. He didn't know the owner kept pigeons. But I did he was some surprised when running flat out at night chasing this snot nosed kid he went smack into the chicken wire coop.
All I heard was ouch ouch ouch. But it started with different letter.
He used to hang around the hotel and harass the farmers as they stopped for a cool one.
I was a pretty big man at twelve years old. Everybody knew it was me.
I shouldn't really say this but I love cops they are a real hoot but not too bright
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:39 PM   #41

Another trick that a trucker friend in the UK used, particularly when the tailgater was a cop trying to give him a ticket, was to slam the brakes on hard, then say afterwards "But didn't you see that big black dog run across the road? You must've been following to closely". Usually, his truck had no damage, but the front of the police cruiser sure did!
Old 05-29-2015, 09:09 PM   #42

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Come on fellas, you can get more creative than this. You just know that if you use blackwater somehow the draft is going to get it on your coach and you will have to clean it off. Punish the tailgator, not yourself.

Rig up two paintball guns inside the engine bay. They make some great full auto models that fire 15+ rounds per second. Hopper will hold about 150 rounds each. Wire them up with remote trigger. No muss, no fuss. It will take them at least 30 min to get the windshield clean enough to be underway again. Colored fish oil.

WARNING: This was all in fun, and while it may amuse us to think of such things, doing so in reality is very dangerous. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote