Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #1

My wife Vicki and I left California on Sept 28th 2006 headed to Maine to see the fall colors of the trees. The first day we made it as far as Elko Nevada, and Vicki checked the computer to see what was available in the way of RV parks. There were two. One park was $30 per night while the other was $15. Of course I deceided on the cheaper one. We pulled in just as the office was about to close, but was able to secure a space.

I was upset to find that the sites were side by side-- meaning that I would have to run my hoses and electrical connection under my motor home to hook up. Any how, I got out and started hooking up... electrical first. My wife informed me through the window that the electric was not on, even after several trys at reseting the breakers. Finally, I had had enough and cursed loudly at the electrical box and put everything away and started my motor home. I told Vicki that it was obvious why this park was only $15 .. the electric doesn't work.

We went back to the $30 park, and I started to hook up... electric first, and once again was told that it wasn't making the trip. I finally decided to check my connection to the motor home its self. I pushed in on the connector and wala. By this time I was frustrated that I had wasted $15 at the other park, and could only blame myself. I hooked up the water hose, turned on the spigot and started hooking to the sewer. Once again my lovely wife announced through the window that the water pressure was not there, and apparently there was no water coming to the motorhome. I told her that it was on, and I would check everything once again after I was totally hooked up.

Just about that time I heard what sounded like falling water, and smelled the awful smell of sewer! You guessed it! I had hooked the water hose to the black tank clean out. I had not opened the valve and the water had filled the black tank and up the vent pipe spilling out over the top of the coach. It was awful.

I quickly corrected the problem and hurried into the coach for an immediate shower. My wife laughed most of the evening.
Free2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #2

My wife Vicki and I left California on Sept 28th 2006 headed to Maine to see the fall colors of the trees. The first day we made it as far as Elko Nevada, and Vicki checked the computer to see what was available in the way of RV parks. There were two. One park was $30 per night while the other was $15. Of course I deceided on the cheaper one. We pulled in just as the office was about to close, but was able to secure a space.

I was upset to find that the sites were side by side-- meaning that I would have to run my hoses and electrical connection under my motor home to hook up. Any how, I got out and started hooking up... electrical first. My wife informed me through the window that the electric was not on, even after several trys at reseting the breakers. Finally, I had had enough and cursed loudly at the electrical box and put everything away and started my motor home. I told Vicki that it was obvious why this park was only $15 .. the electric doesn't work.

We went back to the $30 park, and I started to hook up... electric first, and once again was told that it wasn't making the trip. I finally decided to check my connection to the motor home its self. I pushed in on the connector and wala. By this time I was frustrated that I had wasted $15 at the other park, and could only blame myself. I hooked up the water hose, turned on the spigot and started hooking to the sewer. Once again my lovely wife announced through the window that the water pressure was not there, and apparently there was no water coming to the motorhome. I told her that it was on, and I would check everything once again after I was totally hooked up.

Just about that time I heard what sounded like falling water, and smelled the awful smell of sewer! You guessed it! I had hooked the water hose to the black tank clean out. I had not opened the valve and the water had filled the black tank and up the vent pipe spilling out over the top of the coach. It was awful.

I quickly corrected the problem and hurried into the coach for an immediate shower. My wife laughed most of the evening.
Free2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:25 PM   #3

Thanks for sharing your experience... we've all have some "dumb" story to tell on ourselves. All I will suggest is that you slow down enough to consentrate on what you are doing as you hook up each source to your rig, so you don't repeat this mistake.

Fortunately, for me, the connection for putting fresh water into the trailer's systems is located a long ways away from the black tank clean out. By the way, when you are adding fresh water to the clean out, don't walk away to do another task... just stand there for the 2-3 minutes it takes to fill the tank to the level you want to clean it, then dump... or you'll have a another experience similar to the one you shared here.

Happy travels,

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:12 AM   #4
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Free2RV:

I quickly corrected the problem and hurried into the coach for an immediate shower. My wife laughed most of the evening. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, with all that water, at least your black tank got a thorough cleaning. Thanks for sharing your humorous story, although you probably weren't laughing at the time. I've had my share of things hooked up incorrectly (or not disconnected when leaving) myself.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:16 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
The person that hasn't had a mini-disaster is the one that hasn't traveled in an RV, yet.

And two basic laws: 1) Disaster never strikes unless you have an audience... 2) That is the reason why RVers don't want help setting up; we have a routine down, and help only messes up that set routine.
J.S.Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:37 AM   #6

No, I think the reason they don't want help is because then they will have the aforementioned audience and that would mean the disaster would strike.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:27 AM   #7

Was your black tank all the way full when you started? Mine holds 40 gallons and takes some time before it fills. Something like 20 minutes with a regulator on the hose. How long did you stand there wondering what was up with the water?
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote