Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:59 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just had to laugh... Now

I have always changed my own oil... For almost 50yrs....BUT... Yesterday I changed the oil in our 2012 bounder classic... V10... Got all the stuff I needed got under the side of the MH and when I removed the plug it was cherry colored... Ooopps transmission.... Quick put the plug back in.. Now I will top it off.... Duh. Then I got my catch pan and put it under the oil pan... Just barely fit under axle... Took the plug out, the oil splattered off the axle and went everywhere... Some drained into the pan... While under there i put my head down... Right in the oil... And the shirt I as wearing too.. I thought only me.. Anyway it's all good and I learned.. Have fun rvn... Hope to see you out there

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Mama said there would days like that!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryshirley View Post
I have always changed my own oil... For almost 50yrs....BUT... Yesterday I changed the oil in our 2012 bounder classic... V10... Got all the stuff I needed got under the side of the MH and when I removed the plug it was cherry colored... Ooopps transmission.... Quick put the plug back in.. Now I will top it off.... Duh. Then I got my catch pan and put it under the oil pan... Just barely fit under axle... Took the plug out, the oil splattered off the axle and went everywhere... Some drained into the pan... While under there i put my head down... Right in the oil... And the shirt I as wearing too.. I thought only me.. Anyway it's all good and I learned.. Have fun rvn... Hope to see you out there
I had oil all over the first time too. I went to Walmart and bought one of those big red high flow funnels and a black three gallon oil jug. If you raise the front end up a few inches with the jacks, the funnel sits right under the drain plug, with the bottom going right into the jug. I remove the drain plug and let the oil drain, put the plug back in, and then move my set up under the oil filter and do the same thing. Not one drop of oil spilt and no mess to clean up, and it takes less than 20 minutes to complete the Oil change.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:30 PM   #4

been there... done that...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:29 PM   #5
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Terry you're not alone in the least! That axle is in a PITA location, (I think they do stuff like that on purpose when designing )

Anyway, below is a recent thread discussing this very issue. Some good info therein, and some humor as well.

I'm such a slob!

Best regards,
W.D.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:02 PM   #6

I think it's just been that kinda day. I had one of those days today where I wanted to just climb back in bed and get back out and try today again.

Go out to jump on the mower and cut the grass today. Notice a little oil spot under the rear of our less than 2 year old mower. Axle seal is bad. Ok.....that was a bummer but nothing I can't handle. I'll just go get a seal tomorrow and throw on it. Started getting a little warm this afternoon so I wanted to fire the AC up in the house for the first time just to get it up and running. Hum came from unit but no start up. I run back in and turn it off. Ok....now we're starting to get a little expensive but just seems how the day is going. This evening I stop for fuel on the way to take my son to drum lessons. Put fuel in and go to close fuel door on truck and hear a slight "pop" and now fuel door won't stay closed. Broke the spring that holds the fuel door closed. This is not a super expensive fix but going to be a pain because I'll have to probably buy a whole new door and paint match it. At that point was when I wanted to just drive back home and go to bed.

Leaving tomorrow with the camper for the weekend. Now there's 2 ways of looking at this. Either I should really be dreading what's going to happen tomorrow or I got all the breakage out of my system today and this weekend will be flawless. I'm an optimist so I'm going to go with the 2nd option.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:23 PM   #7

Use to change the oil out in the desert in EL Paso, open the plug and let er drain. Until you put in the 6 qts and check the oil and nothing in the engine...... Forgot to put the drain plug back in, no cell phone back then so you walk a couple of mile back.... Serves me right for polluting the environment- use to call it dirt pavement back on the farm.