Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:45 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Re #9: I didn't have an Atari, but I do remember my first TRS 80 computer. You had to READ the story, use your imagination to visualize the game (or draw up a map - with a pen! - on a piece of notebook paper) & then type commands on the keyboard "go north", "pick up sword" or "hit troll with sword" (multiple times!).

This made me think of something not-quite-so-old, but not that far back either. When I was working in Healthcare in the earlier 80's our company purchased these fancy new "portable" computers from IBM for those of us doing consultant work in our various hospitals spread across the land. We were not allowed to check them as baggage. They had a 4" B&W screen, no hard drive, and 6" floppy disks, the keyboard snapped onto the front when it was closed. The operating system was DOS, and it weighted in at 48 pounds in the canvas case. What joy were those days of running between flights (Is Delta ever on time?) in the airports. Now I can carry an iPad around and do 1000 times more work on a device that darn near fits in my pocket!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2011, 03:09 AM   #16

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Talking

You can keep the "good ole days" I like my electronic toys and gadgets...and I did walk a 1/4 mile just to get to the bus stop because we lived at the end of a dirt road.

Posted from my iPad
Old 04-02-2011, 04:30 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Yeah!
what you all say, I agree! 102%
lazy kids, on Facebook all night with the TV on, till 2AM .
Old 04-02-2011, 05:13 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Funny post but so much truth in it! The old and more simple days were a lot easier on kids though. We all know that mental fatigue is much worse than physical. There is just too much interaction today and not enough quiet time.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:47 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Awesome post!! Makes me recall my mother locking us out of the house on summer days. We'd get thirsty and ask to be let in. She'd just say, "there's a garden hose out there...get a drink!" We actually had to use our imaginations growing up!

My own kids and I have gone round and round about this very stuff when I was raising them. I'd tell them to go outside and use their imagination and they'd look at me like I had grown antlers or something...
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:59 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great post! Makes me miss the good ole' days Here is the irony, we would of had this conversation in the front yard, at the ball park or in front of a camp fire...and oh by the way, I would of never new it took place as i am 6,000 miles away!
Slothsaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:04 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't forget the tree forts. In my case, 4 friends building a completely unsafe structure over the summer. That's good fun you can remember the rest of your life, not your high score on a computer game.
Bert_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #22
IC2

It appears that there are some here posting about some of my current gripes:

- Kids with "nothing to do". I live in the 'burbs, which means that there should be hoardes of kids. There are - but they are never out playing, imagining, doing. I back up to woods - yeah, there are remnants of 'forts' and tree houses, but nothing in the 18 years we've lived here. What do these kids do - hibernate inside if they aren't waiting (with mom and/or dad) for a school bus.

- Cell phones - I wont go too far there as they upset me beyond reason. Kids seem to have a hand stuck to one ear or another - or - a couple thumbs racing across the keys to text the kid 50 feet away. Most can no longer hold a decipherable conversation with someone over 40
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:21 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothsaway View Post
Great post! Makes me miss the good ole' days Here is the irony, we would of had this conversation in the front yard, at the ball park or in front of a camp fire...and oh by the way, I would of never new it took place as i am 6,000 miles away!
HA! Good point!!
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:06 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
just about every thing mention here, I can recall just like yesterday, and yep it includes the bad with the good.
Wonder what these kids would do if you take their electric toys away??
I have three grandchildren, oldest she is gonna be 15, use to fish,atv, etc, now she discovered boys and the cell phone.
the other is just turn 8, can't get him to go fishing, camping, atving, unless he is able to bring his electric games with him, and like his older sister, also has a cell phone.
youngest don't count, as she is 17 months old, but already been on the atv and loves the "WEE" toy, unlike her cousins she loves books and being outdoors, ,,???
So guess I better take advantage of this one while I can.
with some rules to follow by my Mom & Dad, I am glad I grew up in the mid 60's and early 70's.kids today don't know what it means to work around the house, dishes, cut the grass.or go out side and have fun with there bikes, make tree forts,
"THEY HAVE IT MADE" -- LAZY
What Happen ???????
Old 04-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #25

playing outside

Last summer I did see two teenagers outside, playing on a front lawn.
They were sitting side by side, each on a folding chair.
THEY BOTH HAD A LAPTOP COMPUTER IN THEIR LAP!
(I actually drove around the block to look again).
Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #26
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuplich View Post
Last summer I did see two teenagers outside, playing on a front lawn.
They were sitting side by side, each on a folding chair.
THEY BOTH HAD A LAPTOP COMPUTER IN THEIR LAP!
(I actually drove around the block to look again).
Mel
....and most likely sending emails to each other 'cause they seem to have lost the ability to speak coherently
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Who can tell me why all my neighbors in the country did not have lawns in 1938? We moved to the farm from Pine Bluff, Arkansas and no one had one blade of grass around their house. It made it nice to play marbles, washers, horseshoes, tops etc,. If a weed or grass tried to grow it was immediately hoed down. Since we moved out from town and being the newcomers our front yard had a smattering of grass and weeds but not the sides or back yards . I will post the answer later.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I seem to recall buying basic 4-banger (Add-Subtract-Mutliply-Divide) in about 1970 for 16 bucks..

My dad used to do that "you don't know" bit and talk about when he bagged groceries for 10 cents an hour.

I finally ask him the cost of a loaf of bread (5 cents, six for a quarter) and what the income tax rate was (0%)

Well... Turns out I'd have needed 21 dollaras an hour to bring home the same amount of bread his 10 cents did.
This inflation calculator puts it all in perspective....
DollarTimes.com | Inflation Calculator
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote