Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #29

Thed first electronic calculator I used was at my job in the UK (about 1966). It was a desk-top unit about the width of a current computer keyboard and almost the full depth of an office desk.

It had a 4" CRT that displayed the contents of four registers and could calculate square roots. Prior to that, we had electromechanical calculators and people called "computers" ran them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
A 4' 8" boy learning to ride a 26" bike on a dirt driveway with rose bushes on both sides. A floppy seat that had me singing soprano for way too many years.
I remember the first neighborhood color tv, everyone chipped in 25C to watch a Sunday night program. How about the NBC peacock fanning out those breath taking colors.
There was a time I could name every car model and year.... they all seem so cookie cutter now.
We drove from California to Florida and drove the desert a night because we didn't have air conditioning in the car.
And yest I do remember duck and cover.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassalley52 View Post
You can keep the "good ole days" I like my electronic toys and gadgets...and I did walk a 1/4 mile just to get to the bus stop because we lived at the end of a dirt road.

Posted from my iPad

I had to walk almost 1 1/2 miles to school, as the rule was that you had to live more than that for the bus to pick you up.

Now I watch as the mother loads the kids in the car and drives 150 ft to the end of the driveway so the bus can pick the little darlings up. We sure wouldn't want them to have to walk 150 ft.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #32

Ford Super Duty Owner
The answer to the question I posted was really simple. We had moved from the city where we had a lawn. Therefore, we owned a lawnmower. None of the farmers around us had one. This was in 1938 and we did not have running water or electricity. Kerosene kitchen stove and lamps.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #33

I know this is an older post, but seeing as no one has replied to this, I will...

"Adding to the list (and grew up in Florida) - there was a run on bomb shelters in the early sixites...the further South you went, the more shelters. Do you remember WHY? "

That would be Cuba, as in the Bay of Pigs.

I also remember buying cigarettes for 25 cents a pack out of a machine, Hearing William Conrad as Marshall Dillion in Gunsmoke on the radio. Riding a horse to school (4 room school house, 2 grades per room) for the first 8 years, not because we didn't have a bus, there was one, it just took a hour and a half longer than riding the horse, 15 minutes. Rural route, way out in the country.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We got a penny change inside the celephane wrapper on machine purchased cigs.

Glenn
Old 06-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #35

This week my 10 yo son and I are building a set of monkey bars for him to play on. We took down his tree fort, the "pirate ship" to build something he would use more.
Tools he has learned to use that he had never seen before: pipe cutter, pipe threader, draw knife, shop smith set up as a horizontal boring machine. The other tools he has seen or used on many projects we do around the house. We are using materials we can scrounge up around the house, (yes, I am somewhat of a pack rat)
I have many tools, and hope they are his someday. I need to show him how to use them, there won't be as many people around that even know what some of the tools are, let alone how to make something with them. I cherish the time we have together now.

So far, he loves to go camping, whether in the RV or tent.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:37 AM   #36

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallyrver View Post
I remember the calculators in 1977 ,they cost $200.00 and didn't do anything except add and subtract
Nope, mine cost $149.99 at Wards (remember them?), rechargeable battery that lasted 4 hours and I worked 8-10 hours. In sunlight you couldn't read the tiny red numbers either and I worked outdoors.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:46 AM   #37

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post

The best of it was Grannie's cornbread. Hands down!!.
My mother was a home ec teacher for 33 years but her cornbread .....

She baked it in the cast iron corncob molds ..... for too long. We could use them for tent pegs!!

Still laugh about that even though she passed away about 6 years ago and it happened at least 15 years ago!
Old 06-10-2011, 05:08 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post
I know this is an older post, but seeing as no one has replied to this, I will...

"Adding to the list (and grew up in Florida) - there was a run on bomb shelters in the early sixites...the further South you went, the more shelters. Do you remember WHY? "

That would be Cuba, as in the Bay of Pigs.

I also remember buying cigarettes for 25 cents a pack out of a machine, Hearing William Conrad as Marshall Dillion in Gunsmoke on the radio. Riding a horse to school (4 room school house, 2 grades per room) for the first 8 years, not because we didn't have a bus, there was one, it just took a hour and a half longer than riding the horse, 15 minutes. Rural route, way out in the country.
I thought the real answer was the ongoing Testosterone contest between your Mr Kennedy and THE USSR's Mr Khrushchev.

Does anyone else remember the animated commercial like series that was played during the Ed Sullivan shows depicting the possibility of world annihilation which we got to watch and then our parent's expecting us to go to sleep without getting nightmares.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:11 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I finally ask him the cost of a loaf of bread (5 cents, six for a quarter) and what the income tax rate was (0%)
I remember my dad giving the same speech but the cost of the loaf of bread was a penny...I asked him what it was before that....and I got beat.

mike
trouthound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:35 PM   #40

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Ok here's a test: Remember when you had to pay Ma Bell extra for a color phone or touch-tone service.?
And it was a monthly fee!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #41

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let's see what I can do with a couple of URL's both are the same song.
The composer is a man named Frank Hayes.. Now as it happens, He helped me break into public performance so I actually know the man... Same for Steve McDonald.
YouTube - ‪Joe Bethancourt - When I Was A Boy‬‏

Steve Macdonald

The First link is a performance (I do not know the performer, at least I do not THINK I know him) the second is the lyrics as Steve does them.

I know Steve, His wife, His ex wife, His kids. You know the routine.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #42

Did you ever wonder what the kids of today will be saying "I remember when....." 50 years from now?