Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:59 AM   #29

When we ordered our gas coach new, a drivers door was an option for around $1000 that I didn't deem necessary but I let the salesman talk me into adding it. He said that if I owned the MH long enough, one day I would thank him for it. Boy was he right. Our entry door lock is very easy to bump to the lock position if you hold on to the interior latch as you descend the steps and it has been done several times. Luckily the first 3 times the entry door was accidentally locked, the drivers door was unlocked. I now have an entry door key on a small key ring with a spring clip on the other end. I have this key clipped to a wire in the top of the engine compartment. Even if the hood is locked, I can reach through the grill to unclip the key even though it can't be seen from the outside. It's come in handy a few times.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2016, 08:22 AM   #30

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have 2 keys to my Smart Car -- one with the chip that allows me to open doors and start it, the.other without the chip that only allows me to shift it into neutral for towing. I got locked out of my toad when I mistakenly left the driving key in the ignition. I was only going a few miles and assumed I was saving some time. Then I went over an unnoticed dip in the road and something left in the passenger seat flew up and came down on the lock button on the dashboard. Oh, and I had left the parking lights on. Being exhausted I left the problem for the next morning. It took a locksmith and a jump start to fix my "time saver".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:12 AM   #31

Did it at Blue Beacon while they were washing it and had them get a ladder so I could reach in and get the keys from the drivers side. Had left the window unlocked and could slide it open. They laughed at that. ( I wasn't )
robt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:17 AM   #32

I keep a spare hidden on the coach and one on my toad key ring. Never needed it. Yet!!
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:10 AM   #33

The one that worries me is the fact that there is only one door and one user's experience where the lock failed internally (i.e. the turning key was no longer connected to the locking mechanism). Could the average locksmith handle this problem? How do you rig a window so that it is locked but can be unlocked?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
In my propane bay is what is called a "Realator's Box" .. This is offically called a key safe.. IF you know the magic number, which I do know, inside are spare keys to the door.

You know why.
We have the same thing, and has a 16-digit password. Wife got locked out while I was 5 miles away surfing once, and will never happen again.

I came home about 4 hours later, and she and the dog were out, in pajamas (the wife, not the dog) doing morning doggie business, and they had been locked out for 2 hours.

She was a bit upset, because she hadn't had her coffee yet.
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:05 PM   #35

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On the same sorta subject I have engraved metal tags on all of my key rings that read, "Call 987-654-3210 for reward" the phone number is my cell phone so hopefully I could get my keys back before I even notice they are gone. I made the last tag at a machine in Walmart. It was in the front by one of the exits. I haven't lost any yet, but as I get more forgetful it's bound to happen.

My daughter jokingly threatens to make a tag for me to wear with her cell phone on it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:56 AM   #36

Had a traveling companion in a DP who was locked out and only had one door. We took a slim jim, used to unlock car doors , and was able to unlock the emergency exit window. When we stuck a neighbors teen age grand daughter through the window the door still wouldn't unlock. A locksmith had to drill the tumbler out and replace the whole door latch. Upon inspection a small actuator rod had broken and nothing was going to unlatch it. A metal one foot ruler would work the same as the slim jim. He keeps one in a storage bay.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:39 AM   #37

Haven't lost keys but I have had my wallet returned twice, and my phone 3 times now. Last time I lost my phone I got a call from a guy and he offered to bring it to me. When he showed up he handed me a card. He was a Davis county Sherriff and wanted to know why my phone was on his wife's hood in a locked garage😨. I told him I thought I lost it at costco and someone must have set it on her car when they found it. Thankfully he was a smart Leo and a nice guy
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:52 PM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
I keep a spare set of coach keys in my toad and a spare set of toad keys in the Coach. What are the odds of locking myself out of both at the same time?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:32 AM   #39

Well, I noticed yesterday that the entire lock/latch assembly is coming loose on mine, and the key all of a sudden started to catch, and seemed like it was harder to unlock the door, and this thread all of a sudden popped back into my mind.

So, I spent $150 on ebay for one of those Bauer locks with the keypad and keys, and will swap the entire unit out next week when it arrives. Will still keep the spare key in the realtor's box, because you need the key to open the door when the battery dies, but for the most part, will be able to punch in a keycode to get inside. Which will be GREAT for when I am surfing, swimming, etc and don't want to have to hide a key, and really don't want to drag a key-ring around with me, and leave it unattended while I am in the water.
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:05 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We spent the summer of 2012 in Alaska with three friends and their coaches. One couple was so bad with keys, if we all went off with the toads for a trip, no one would move unless we used the radios to call both spouses and ask if they had their keys with them. Only once did they get locked out.. (in the pouring rain... they had an extra key in a realtor box, but couldn't remember the combination). Turns out they met when he stopped by to help her when she was locked out of her car at a shopping center.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #41

I keep a spare trailer key and a spare truck key in the change pocket of my jeans. I refuse to be locked out again.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.
Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote

« Question | The deal »