Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #1

Locked out

Last week was getting ready to head out started rig did my normal check this that ect i decide to walk around coach like i always do prior to take off except this time i started coach with the door open mistake i knew better but i finally did it . get out shut door walk around go to open door yep its locked . i now have a spare attached outside the rig how many of you have done this ??
thankful i was home and not on the road
greg-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-1 View Post
Last week was getting ready to head out started rig did my normal check this that ect i decide to walk around coach like i always do prior to take off except this time i started coach with the door open mistake i knew better but i finally did it . get out shut door walk around go to open door yep its locked . i now have a spare attached outside the rig how many of you have done this ??
thankful i was home and not on the road
I have always had a Full Set of keys on a ring hidden in the Engine Compartment for this very reason. Touch Wood, I have not had to use it yet.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #3

I have a full set. DW has a full set. Neither of us leaves the coach without our set of keys unless we are stationary in campground. So far it's been working.
BillL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:10 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my propane bay is what is called a "Realator's Box" .. This is offically called a key safe.. IF you know the magic number, which I do know, inside are spare keys to the door.

You know why.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:21 PM   #5

My son did the same thing three days ago. He ended up with 3 sets of keys locked inside. It will be a while living that down.......
GPWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:07 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I keep a spare door key hidden outside the coach. Haven't had to use it yet.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #7

I was in Tucumcari NM, someone tried to pry the latch open at the Flying J. My freind , a locksmith says they are nearly impossible to pry open. I arrived at Shamrock TX, 2 hrs with the key no results, went to motel. Next day I drove to Central OK and had my grandson crawl in the under the closet door but he could'nt open it, my grandaughter tried, she's 13, so I drove to OKC, bought a $30.00 latch, had my grandson open the emergency window and my son got in and replace the latch. It's a testimony to locking doors while traveling and to the durability of good latches.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:46 PM   #8

After the DW locking us out of one of our past MH's, I never leave the MH without keys in my pocket! I learned the 'hard way'!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #9

Two years ago the dog locked us out while we were sitting around the campfire! We now have a hidden spare door key.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All my vehicles have spare keys hidden outside. Locked myself out of a car 48 years ago and have always had a spare key hidden since then.

My kids and grand kids have been taught this too.

Our coach cannot be locked without a key and I like that.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:54 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
I have a full set. DW has a full set. Neither of us leaves the coach without our set of keys unless we are stationary in campground. So far it's been working.
Same situation with car keys. I have always insisted that DW carry her car/MH keys when ever we travel together. Just a good back up plan.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:03 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can't say I've experienced that incident yet and hope I don't. Of course there is a spare set of keys in a magnet case. SOMEWHERE????? Oh I remember where now.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:35 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have!! My outside driver door latch is broken. I hopped out one day to do a walk around with the engine running. Wind blew the door closed and house door was locked. Drat!!!

Spare set of keys now hidden in one of the basement bays.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not on the coach, rather my Jeep. I have a Revelco anti theft device. Requires a special gizmo to be plugged into a connector on the dash for the engine to start. Was working 500 miles from home, and the spare gizmo, the other day... Yup, lost the gizmo. Overnight shipping of the spare, UPS flubbed the Saturday delivery so had the rental car expense of four days... Another spare gizmo on order and need to figure out how to have a backup readily available...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote

« Question | The deal »