Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-02-2005, 06:09 PM   #1

We just got back from Cherokee NC... and that was the good part. Around Dec 16th we were ready to take off in our motorhome for Mobile and a family gathering prior to Christmas Day. Backing up the drive to go get propane there was a whine and an engine rev. I let it roll back to the fence and tried again. This time...nothing but the engine rev. I'm guessing the transmission, and hoping I'm wrong.

We tried for the rest of the day to rent a large van around Atlanta for the trip, but were unsuccessful due to the holidays. We transferred as many presents and clothing as we could stuff in a minivan with the 5 little angels, forsaking most of the food we were to carry, and took off the next morning. Just outside Montgomery, and just before dusk, the engine overheated and the battery light came on. Braking and steering were suddenly very hard. Fortunately we were near an exit and only 5 miles from my mother's house. Inspection showed a broken alternator bracket, so the alternator was just hanging there, and the belt was wrapped around the back of the fan.

A single phone call to a random dealer in Montgomery found us a 15 passenger van. Our Good Sam ERS picked up our van and moved it to my mother's driveway for the weekend. We transferred our stuff to the larger van and resumed our trip to Mobile. While we were in Mobile my brother in Montgomery arranged for his mechanic to do the repair and Good Sam came through with another tow.

By Thursday morning I was informed that my van was ready. Thanks to my brother's influence, they had moved it to the top of their service chart. I took the rental van back to Montgomery, picked up my van, and returned to Mobile, thankfully without further incident.

Sunday we traveled with a daughter and her family toward Cherokee. After a minor problem in their Blazer with a nail in the tire at a rest stop south of Montgomery, we finally returned home to pick up our cargo trailer with our three wheelchairs, oxygen and medical supplies, and extra heavy clothes and food for a week in Cherokee. They towed our trailer since they had a tow package on their Blazer.

We had a nice three bedroom house in Cherokee, and used that for a base of operations. A trip to Maggie Valley was enjoyable, although there was no snow except on the tube slide. In fact the whole area experienced a "heat wave" with temps staying mostly in the upper 50's and 60's. And we planned this trip based on cold weather expectations.

A couple of trips into Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge reminded me why I wouldn't want to live in the mountains. They're nice to look at and visit, but I'd sure hate to drive in them all the time.

Anyway, we got home yesterday afternoon with enough light left to unload the van and trailer. Glad to be home. Now I have to find out if a '96 Ford E4OD transmission with about 50k miles is truly shot, or if it's something more minor. Here's hoping... After $2000 in new tires and $8000 in wiring repairs this summer, we're about due for some good news.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2005, 06:09 PM   #2

We just got back from Cherokee NC... and that was the good part. Around Dec 16th we were ready to take off in our motorhome for Mobile and a family gathering prior to Christmas Day. Backing up the drive to go get propane there was a whine and an engine rev. I let it roll back to the fence and tried again. This time...nothing but the engine rev. I'm guessing the transmission, and hoping I'm wrong.

We tried for the rest of the day to rent a large van around Atlanta for the trip, but were unsuccessful due to the holidays. We transferred as many presents and clothing as we could stuff in a minivan with the 5 little angels, forsaking most of the food we were to carry, and took off the next morning. Just outside Montgomery, and just before dusk, the engine overheated and the battery light came on. Braking and steering were suddenly very hard. Fortunately we were near an exit and only 5 miles from my mother's house. Inspection showed a broken alternator bracket, so the alternator was just hanging there, and the belt was wrapped around the back of the fan.

A single phone call to a random dealer in Montgomery found us a 15 passenger van. Our Good Sam ERS picked up our van and moved it to my mother's driveway for the weekend. We transferred our stuff to the larger van and resumed our trip to Mobile. While we were in Mobile my brother in Montgomery arranged for his mechanic to do the repair and Good Sam came through with another tow.

By Thursday morning I was informed that my van was ready. Thanks to my brother's influence, they had moved it to the top of their service chart. I took the rental van back to Montgomery, picked up my van, and returned to Mobile, thankfully without further incident.

Sunday we traveled with a daughter and her family toward Cherokee. After a minor problem in their Blazer with a nail in the tire at a rest stop south of Montgomery, we finally returned home to pick up our cargo trailer with our three wheelchairs, oxygen and medical supplies, and extra heavy clothes and food for a week in Cherokee. They towed our trailer since they had a tow package on their Blazer.

We had a nice three bedroom house in Cherokee, and used that for a base of operations. A trip to Maggie Valley was enjoyable, although there was no snow except on the tube slide. In fact the whole area experienced a "heat wave" with temps staying mostly in the upper 50's and 60's. And we planned this trip based on cold weather expectations.

A couple of trips into Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge reminded me why I wouldn't want to live in the mountains. They're nice to look at and visit, but I'd sure hate to drive in them all the time.

Anyway, we got home yesterday afternoon with enough light left to unload the van and trailer. Glad to be home. Now I have to find out if a '96 Ford E4OD transmission with about 50k miles is truly shot, or if it's something more minor. Here's hoping... After $2000 in new tires and $8000 in wiring repairs this summer, we're about due for some good news.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:32 AM   #3

I think You do need a little good news and also a new rig.Best of luck to You.If You keep the old rig stay close to home.And keep the tow insurance paid up.It's no fun broke down been there done that! John
Old 01-27-2005, 04:48 AM   #4

1996 is old? Uhh, OK...

(Then I guess I shouldn't have gone on 1000+ mile trips in a 33-year-old RV?)

1993 International Genesis conversion
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 09:22 AM   #5

Johnny Uhh O.K.

« OWLS | A clean joke »