Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
Having had a couple of Barium xrays I know the pain. It isn't very funny when it is happening but looking back on it you can only laugh. I think they record it and all sit around laughing and saying I can't believe the guy put up with it!! Later I had to have a scope done where they run it down your esophoguos (spelling) through your stomach and into the intestine. A few days before I had to go in for that my friend had to have the colonoscopy done. I said at that point I hope the heck they wash that thing good!! He razzed me about that for a while!!

Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #16
A week after my wife had her last one, the head of the department at the hospital called to explain that they had lost the biopsies they had taken of her polyps. He asked if she could please schedule another appointment so they could do it again! So, she did it again and they billed me for the second procedure at full price because the insurance wouldn't pay for two procedures scheduled so close together.

I still happened to have the phone number of the department head and he assured me that it would be taken care of. And it was.

bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:52 PM   #17
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And does your wife call that "double dipping?"
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #18
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A couple years ago I had one after we moved to our condo. When I went in I asked why they didn't remove my teeth. He said they don't usually go that hgh. I then asked if he had the one about "The colorectal Surgeon". He knew the whole thing and sang it while I went to sleep. If you haven't seen it go to you tube and try the "Colorectal Surgeon".
1995 Roadtrek 19 Versatile
Dodge 318
1975 GMC Eleganza II
bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #19
If you really want to discuss it, here is my piece I wrote about my first experience with it, with big medical terms and all, back in 2004!

Warning! the following deals with embarrassing, HIGHLY PERSONAL areas of my personal body, and all kinds of medical stuff that the Doctors have invented strictly to go where no person has gone before-at least not with me! The following diatribe contains descriptions and big medical words that may offend faint-hearted wimmins. It is intended to scientifically inform and describe HIGHLY PERSONAL procedures for other good ol boys that may be hesitant to allow medical professionals, with real diplomas and scrub suits, to use highly delicate instruments resembling a roto-rooter to boldly go where no man has allowed them to go before! Then maybe the guys will know what to expect, and see it is not so bad. There is even a contest at the end, which title I won in the local run-off (no pun intended.) If you are easily offended, please skip ahead to the line that says:

Before I know what's happening, they zero in on my age and tell me it's time to take a peek at the ol colon! Accck! So I get scheduled for a sigmoidoscopy. Now I was assured that the procedure is not uncomfortable, and only involves taking a look to be sure that there are no LIFE THREATENING growths growing where the sun don't shine! LIFE THREATENING! Ever notice how all those really embarrassing things that they do to ya are always LIFE THREATENING? Heck, they wouldn't get anyone to let em mess around with HIGHLY PERSONAL areas like they were proposing to do, unless they scare ya with it being something like "LIFE THREATENING!" Of course I told them that all my plumbing was fine and couldn't we get away with something a little more fun like, say, an x-ray or something?? I was even willing to let them draw some blood if they absolutely, positively, thought they could avoid messing around with HIGHLY PERSONAL areas.

The Doc gave me that look. You know, the "I have seen many HIGHLY PERSONAL areas on lots of people, and what's the big deal?" look. So he had me go change in another room.

Now I have to ask myself, if that HIGHLY PERSONAL area is no big deal, then why do I have to go in another room to change? Everyone in the room was going to assist or actually insert things into my HIGHLY PERSONAL area as soon as I change into the "gown" they have sadistically modified to provide a sneak preview of HIGHLY PERSONAL AREAS to everyone in the hallway!

So to avoid a LIFE THREATENING possibility, I decided to look at this as the same as an initiation. You know, even if the "initiation" involved embarrassing or HIGHLY PERSONAL areas, it was all in fun, and wasn't even remotely connected to LIFE THREATENING situations, then it was OK. Right? However there were no "refreshments" (read alcoholic beverages) involved nor offered to temporarily make me feel that others viewing HIGHLY PERSONAL areas a part of the overall "ambiance" of a college night out. (you know, the kind that jolts you about 2 minutes after you wake up, as you dimly remember that the night before involved lampshades, Cap'n Crunch cereal, shaving cream, and someone named Lola! I remember one frat party where they actually rented a . . . . . ummm, never mind! )

ANYWAY . . . .I unenthusiastically cooperated and they scheduled it for the following week.

They gave me a prescription for the "prep." Now it was looking easier as they only gave me three bottles of stuff to drink. One was sodium citrate soda in a glass 12 oz bottle. The other two were Fleets-something that were in cool sports bottles with spouts and everything! OK this was gonna be easy. I got home and showed them to my significant harassment. She gave me the spousal stare as I regaled her with my fearless abilities to face strangers doing procedures in HIGHLY PERSONAL areas.

She kept looking at the sports drinks and shaking her head with that smile . . . you know the one, the look that is always followed by revelations that you didn't need to know?

“OK” she chuckled, and proceeded to read the directions on the "sports drinks" package to herself, checking me out the whole time with the one eye raised big smile.

I of course, being a manly kind of guy, hadn't needed to look at the directions. Darned if I'd read em now (while she was in the room-but as soon as she left, maybe I'd better just peek!) Accck! You don't want to know. I couldn't believe it! The less said the better.

So I had it down. Drink the soda at four the day before. No problem! But the other two, well, suffice it to say that you don't want to make any plans during a "prep" that involves being more than, oh, say, 12" from your friendly local bathroom.

By the time I got to the clinic, at O-Dark-thirty, having slept in a sitting position, all night, (I actually read two Michner novels, and all the shampoo and mouthwash bottles to boot,) I didn't care if they removed my HIGHLY PERSONAL areas!

Lynn woke up long enough to grin and remind me about the "sports drinks." I'm not even going there. They should knock you out, and then take care of all that stuff while you are unconscious and will never remember anything, (except maybe a dream involving someone named Lola!)

I showed up and sure enough they gave me the same kinda gown that I saw this year on the academy awards! Except this was on me, not a female star and it showed just as much but was backwards. I am sure it was not a pretty sight.

They got me in the room and then I saw a four-foot tube that they were preparing to . . . . use on me! Well, before I knew it they had the HIGHLY PERSONAL part over and moved a TV screen so I could see . . . .me!

Hey this was cool! Everything was live and I didn't feel a thing! Then they stopped and pointed out that the "bump" on the screen was a "polyp." I asked if that was good or bad? Hey! There's no pain and it was like watching it happen to a stranger. They said it could be OK or bad. Accccck!

Then they gave me the news . . . .you just bought yourself a full colonoscopy! Seems that when they find a polyp they have to check the whole thing, again! With a bigger roto rooter!

Well they biopsied the polyp and scheduled me for another "procedure." Except this time they would give me some "cocktails" and I would not be fully awake for it. YES!

And no more "sports drinks" either!

OK I could deal. They gave me another scrip for a "prep" they called "Go lightly." I got the scrip filled and there was a gallon jug in this one. Well, you can bet I read the directions before I got home this time! (My significant harassment is still chuckling over the "sports drinks.") Hey! I only had to drink this “Prep”. No problem, 8 oz every fifteen minutes. A beer is 12 oz and I can do that easy!

OK, never assume that 8 oz of a given liquid can be forced down every 15 minutes. This stuff was pineapple flavored and some sadist told me it is easier to down with crystal light added to it. Not! I tried the first one plain and then added the crystal light-not smart! It went from neutral and tasteless, to barely able to scarf it down. (and I have scarfed down some nasty beers and ales in my time!)

My significant harassment caught me pouring the last third of that glass down the drain and gave me the "Aha! Caught ya “look! From that point on she pulled out the egg timer and watched me drink every drop every 15 minutes! Sheesh! Significant harassments have to do all kinds of HIGHLY PERSONAL procedures just because of their membership in the opposite persuasion, and boy do they love it when it's our turn!

I was also on clear liquids and could only have chicken and beef broth for dinner. Didja ever have to have broth for dinner? I drank the first can and then said "hey! That's not bad! I can make it through this easy!” But a few minutes later I was hungry again and drank another can of broth, then, what the hey! I drank all eight of them!

That wasn't a great idea in hindsight (no pun intended.) See, now I was full of broth when I started trying to drink the gallon in under three hours, under the caring and watchful eye of my significant harassment (who I saw through my fluid bloated haze as “Helga”-in leather, cracking a whip, and insisting-“drink, drink, Ve haff vays to make you drink!”)

That night, I read "War and Peace" (Twice!) as I tried to sleep in the comfort of my friendly local bathroom!

By the time I showed up (driven there by my significant harassment-they said I needed to be driven home because there were “cocktails” involved) they were ready with the “gown” again, but this time I put two on! Hah! One in back too! My significant harassment was too smug and I was sure she had the digital camera hidden somewhere to record my “gown” and pass prints out in the RV Park. (Since the last “procedure”, every time I walked by the laundry room, [where all the members of The WPA - “The Wimmins Pertektive Association” gather in an RV park,] they’d all giggle, point at me, and mention “sports drinks”) Sheesh! Get a life!

They got me on a table and started an IV. Now this was more like it-drugs! The nurse told me that I would only be “lightly sedated” to offset any discomfort from the air they were going to pump in. Air? Pump in? Just as she started the “cocktails” I noticed what looked like 40 feet of telephone cable being unrolled by another nurse who winked at my significant harassment! Accck! The WPA! Then I faded out.

I was dreaming of frogs. I could hear em croaking as I floated back to consciousness. I looked around and there were several other guys on tables in the “recovery” room. But I kept hearing the frogs??? Then a bright and smiling face appeared in front of me saying it was OK, just let it go. Huh? Then he reminded me that I was full of air. WHAT? Was he saying what I thought he was???? Those weren’t frogs! Acccck! Some things are only meant to be shared with your family! And only after someone pulls your finger!

Oh well, I joined the chorus and pretended I was in that scene from “Blazing Saddles.” I won!

My significant harassment was waiting for me as I finally walked out and was back in my real clothes. The Doc came in and told us they had found two more “polyps” and that the tests on em would be back the following week. They had cut out all three. She was more concerned than I was. (I was still grinning from the “cocktails”) Then the Doc got my attention! I couldn’t believe what I thought he just told me! I stared in shock, as he slowly repeated . . . “No Beers for 24 hours!” Acccck!

As we drove home I was regaling my significant harassment with how it was a “piece O’ cake! And boy was I hungry! And could she pull my finger??

The tests came back with no Cancer, but two of the polyps were adenomas. Pre-cancerous, but not cancer. The doc told me that I could possibly have had cancer if I had waited till I was 50, like most do, to have my HIGHLY PERSONAL areas inspected. Wow! Another case of the G.A.s (Guardian Angels) doing their usual last minute save! Now I will have to do it every three years. I’ll have to start getting in shape to defend my recovery room championship title.

(Disclaimer: The preceding highly scientific and technical article, with big medical words and all, was intended to inform guys about HIGHLY PERSONAL procedures, that we only do under duress from the WPA in most cases, and to alleviate any misconceptions they may have about them. The opinions expressed herein are strictly the objective observations and responsibility of three winged monkeys and Bogart The Wonder Dog, who are solely responsible for their content.)

©Derek Gore/RV Roadie 1997-2004 All Rights Reserved. Three rights is left.

Link to it:
USAF Ret. 1971-1998
RV Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #20
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Well Possum, since you brought up the subject, let me tell you a true story (not saying the above is not true mind you) that happened to me.

It was the Houston VA hospital. Yes, I went through the same "post procedures" and voided myself of all "liquids" just as the OP states. Let's move ahead to the actual day.

I'm not their for just the colonoscopy, but also a barium. So here is what they do.

Colonoscopy came first I believe, then this:

"Sir, can you lay back on your left side?"

"Has the mile of snake been removed?" Complied

"This will feel a little strange as the barium goes in."

No kidding. Have you ever seen a bloated frog. The pressure is unbelievable, and there is nothing, absolutely nothing one can do about it. Because, they immediately plug the opening with a butt plug. Now here comes the the flouroscope of whatever it is called. They move it in little circles and lines around your body looking at martian pictures of your internal area.

"Sir, can you walk over to the xray table?"

"I'm not sure of walkin' but I can waddle." Off of the fluoroscope table I get, carefully. I'm still "plugged." And I'm asked politely to get up on the xray table. Then I am told there will be a series of fourteen xrays. (Yes, 14) I'm still plugged and the pressure is unbelievable, trust me, unless you have had this procedure you have never been in this much of a desire to relieve yourself (Remember the butt plug). It's impossible at this time.

So after about 5 minutes of "pressure" and the technician fiddling around with the xray machine, she says, "I'm having a problem with this xray machine, do you think you could walk to the next xray room."

"AAAhhhhhh! OOoohhhh! Yesssss. I think I can." (meekly said) So there I was with nothing but the hospital gown on, designed for a "little person," waddling (not walking) down the hallway of the hospital wanting so badly to get to the next xray room. And the world was my stage, and everyone was watching. (My backside)

This xray machine worked fine, and 14 xrays, and what seemed like 14 hours later, we were finished. I was then asked, "Would you like me to remove the plug here, or back where your clothes are." For some foolish reason that I cannot remember i stated, "Back where my clothes are." After another, what seemed like, 20 miles of me waddling we arrived to where my clothes were. However, this time we did not travel the corridors of the pain institution. We took the back way, and the technician said, "We'll take the short cut back."

WHAT? Shortcut? Please dear Lord, tell me why we did not come this way in the first place? (That was said to myself as I just shook my, by now, bloated head from side to side.)

We arrived. The technician said, "I have to remove the plug now." Oh yes! Oh yes! Oh yes!. "Stand next to the toilet and bend forward." Ummmfff, Umfff! Uhh! Ohh!

Then she exclaimed, "It's stuck!"

"Stuck, what do you mean stuck?" I screamed. She tried again but could not pull the plug out. (Honestly, I am not making this up. These are actual events as they happened to me.)

I said, "Ma'am, you have to get it out. I need relief, and I need it soon."

As I'm bent over at 90 degrees, she tries again and I decide I'm going to help her by "pushing." You do know what "pushing" is, right. So she pulls and I push, and the darn thing really is stuck, but wait, wait, PPPPPPOoooooooPPPPP.

But it isn't a little pop, it's a big pot, and do you know what barium does when it is under pressure and is released quickly. It's like a spray paint gun. Or like a fire hose. Well in this case it was both, and it never made the toilet. And it (for the better lack of a word) painted the back wall.

I said, "Now you have to clean that up."

Technician, "Not me! One of the Candy Stripe's will clean it."

And so it went for my combination colonoscopy and barium "check up."

The above story is true. There are no embellishments contained within. It is what actually happened.

Where's my Pulitzer?

Does that bring back nightmares.......V.A. Hospital la Jolla,Ca.
Try having an Upper GI series on a Monday and the following Friday the Lower GI Series.

The nurse sure had a sadistic laugh, almost like the DI after being shoved in a wall locker Other story for other Time.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
Remember "Without Truck's......America Stops" RVM129
"Take me to the Brig. I want to see the "Real Marines".
Major General Chesty Puller, USMC -
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #21
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
Having had a couple of Barium xrays I know the pain. It isn't very funny when it is happening but looking back on it you can only laugh. I think they record it and all sit around laughing and saying I can't believe the guy put up with it!! Later I had to have a scope done where they run it down your esophoguos (spelling) through your stomach and into the intestine. A few days before I had to go in for that my friend had to have the colonoscopy done. I said at that point I hope the heck they wash that thing good!! He razzed me about that for a while!!

Been there done that too.....
I think they call that an endoscopy or endoscopic

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T

Remember "Without Truck's......America Stops" RVM129
"Take me to the Brig. I want to see the "Real Marines".
Major General Chesty Puller, USMC -
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote