Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-21-2001, 03:15 PM   #1

Back in 1953 I was living in Piedmont, AL. and was approached by a friend that wanted to know If I would drive him and his mother & dad to Southern GA to visit a relative. He was to buy the gas and any extra's, so I agreed.

We were on our way by late that afternoon. We stopped at a bootleg place on the Georgia/Alabama state line and picked up a case of beer. ($5.00)

I owned a yellow 1948 Pontiac convertable two door sedan and I was doing the driving. It was getting dark as we headed through central GA. My friends folks mentioned that they needed to go to the restroom.

I was in need of gas as well so we stopped at a gas station that was closed but had living quarters on the side. We figured the owner lived there and we would see if he would open up long enough to sell us a tank of gas.

On our way to the door we saw two young teenage boys huddled on the steps of the store/service station. The people living in the attached house said they did not run the store and couldn't sell us anything.

As we were going back to the car the boys asked if we were heading for Florida. We told them we were going close to FL, and they asked if they could hitch a ride with us. We told them yes, and there was a couple in the back seat so one could sit up front and one in the back.

I was getting tired so I told my friend he could drive for a while. As we pulled out of the service station my friend spun out in the gravel as we hit the pavement and headed South again.

All the Pontiac had for back window was one small one in the back so it was dark in the rear. We had gone about five miles when I asked one of my friends folks to hand me up a beer. The boy that had got in the back said: "There isn't anyone else back here." Right away we figured his folks had got out to use an outhouse that was behind the station we had stopped at and we had left them.

We made an immediate turn and headed back. On the way there was only one car that came by us and we noticed he was travelling at a very high rate of speed opposit of us.

We got back to the station and there was no one there. We knocked on the door of the house and there was no answer. We spent about an hour sitting around drinking beer and waiting for his folks to come back.

We finally decided they had got the people living in the house to take them to the next town where they probably caught a bus and finished the trip, so we continued South.

We were still in need of gas. I told my friend we needed to fill up and he said his folks had his money. That changed the complexion of things right away.

We told the boys since we didn't have money for gas we probably would have to stop somewhere and let them out. They asked me if I had a piece of hose and a can. They said they would siphon gas from cars parked in a neighborhood we were in. Only bucket I had was a minnow bucket made of paper mache and a hose.

It was just before daylight when we stopped at a place that had a car in front with a full tank the hose would reach. They siphoned the bucket full of gas, but it ran through the paper mache so fast by the time they got back to the car with it, it was only half full.

This kept on for several minutes when my friend found $5.00 change from the case of beer he had bought. We were in luck so we found a station that was just opening up and finished filling the tank.

We then had enough to get to our destination. We stopped at a highway intersection to let our hitchhikers out.

We arrived at the relatives house, but his folks were not there. We then began to worry about them possibly being kidnapped. We met every bus that came in that day and none had his folks on it.

Near midnight was when the last bus came in and we decided to call the police if they weren't on it.

As the passengers were debarking we saw his mom and dad coming down the aisle. His mother was crying so we figured something bad had happened.

When they got off they were shocked to see us. first thing his dad said was: "How in the world did you manage to escape?" We said: "Escape from what?' They said as they were returning from the restroom stop they saw two guys get in the car with us and we left at a high rate of speed. They thought we had been kidnapped.

They then woke up the guy in the house attached to the store and told him what had happend and they drove into LaGrange, GA and reported to the police we had been kidnapped. They had waited at the police station all that day hoping to hear from the kidnappers or the police catching them.

We laughed it off and the next morning the local newspaper headlines said: "Three State Alarm out for missing car and youths."

We decided we had better head back to Alabama that day. We decided we wouldn't say anything about it thinking it would all blow over. NOT

As we were driving up the highway near LaGrange I heard the siren and saw the red lights in the rear view mirror. I pulled over as two policemen with drawn guns slowly approached the car and yelled for us all to get out of the car slowly and with our hands in the air.

We were taken to the police station in LaGrange and questioned and we explained what had happened. Everyone got a big laugh out of it and we were sent on our way with the promise we would not drink beer in a dry county again.

Dewdo in the other Washington

2000 Dodge Ram 3500 dually with cummins diesel, Automatic, 4:10, BD exhaust brake, Auto Loc, DTT TC/VB, VA Box, Boost module/elbow, 4" exhaust, 14 cm turbo housing + All goodies including leather.
1992 King Of the Road fiver, 2000 11.5 Arctic Fox slide in with all the goodies. (love those goodies)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2001, 03:15 PM   #2

Back in 1953 I was living in Piedmont, AL. and was approached by a friend that wanted to know If I would drive him and his mother & dad to Southern GA to visit a relative. He was to buy the gas and any extra's, so I agreed.

We were on our way by late that afternoon. We stopped at a bootleg place on the Georgia/Alabama state line and picked up a case of beer. ($5.00)

I owned a yellow 1948 Pontiac convertable two door sedan and I was doing the driving. It was getting dark as we headed through central GA. My friends folks mentioned that they needed to go to the restroom.

I was in need of gas as well so we stopped at a gas station that was closed but had living quarters on the side. We figured the owner lived there and we would see if he would open up long enough to sell us a tank of gas.

On our way to the door we saw two young teenage boys huddled on the steps of the store/service station. The people living in the attached house said they did not run the store and couldn't sell us anything.

As we were going back to the car the boys asked if we were heading for Florida. We told them we were going close to FL, and they asked if they could hitch a ride with us. We told them yes, and there was a couple in the back seat so one could sit up front and one in the back.

I was getting tired so I told my friend he could drive for a while. As we pulled out of the service station my friend spun out in the gravel as we hit the pavement and headed South again.

All the Pontiac had for back window was one small one in the back so it was dark in the rear. We had gone about five miles when I asked one of my friends folks to hand me up a beer. The boy that had got in the back said: "There isn't anyone else back here." Right away we figured his folks had got out to use an outhouse that was behind the station we had stopped at and we had left them.

We made an immediate turn and headed back. On the way there was only one car that came by us and we noticed he was travelling at a very high rate of speed opposit of us.

We got back to the station and there was no one there. We knocked on the door of the house and there was no answer. We spent about an hour sitting around drinking beer and waiting for his folks to come back.

We finally decided they had got the people living in the house to take them to the next town where they probably caught a bus and finished the trip, so we continued South.

We were still in need of gas. I told my friend we needed to fill up and he said his folks had his money. That changed the complexion of things right away.

We told the boys since we didn't have money for gas we probably would have to stop somewhere and let them out. They asked me if I had a piece of hose and a can. They said they would siphon gas from cars parked in a neighborhood we were in. Only bucket I had was a minnow bucket made of paper mache and a hose.

It was just before daylight when we stopped at a place that had a car in front with a full tank the hose would reach. They siphoned the bucket full of gas, but it ran through the paper mache so fast by the time they got back to the car with it, it was only half full.

This kept on for several minutes when my friend found $5.00 change from the case of beer he had bought. We were in luck so we found a station that was just opening up and finished filling the tank.

We then had enough to get to our destination. We stopped at a highway intersection to let our hitchhikers out.

We arrived at the relatives house, but his folks were not there. We then began to worry about them possibly being kidnapped. We met every bus that came in that day and none had his folks on it.

Near midnight was when the last bus came in and we decided to call the police if they weren't on it.

As the passengers were debarking we saw his mom and dad coming down the aisle. His mother was crying so we figured something bad had happened.

When they got off they were shocked to see us. first thing his dad said was: "How in the world did you manage to escape?" We said: "Escape from what?' They said as they were returning from the restroom stop they saw two guys get in the car with us and we left at a high rate of speed. They thought we had been kidnapped.

They then woke up the guy in the house attached to the store and told him what had happend and they drove into LaGrange, GA and reported to the police we had been kidnapped. They had waited at the police station all that day hoping to hear from the kidnappers or the police catching them.

We laughed it off and the next morning the local newspaper headlines said: "Three State Alarm out for missing car and youths."

We decided we had better head back to Alabama that day. We decided we wouldn't say anything about it thinking it would all blow over. NOT

As we were driving up the highway near LaGrange I heard the siren and saw the red lights in the rear view mirror. I pulled over as two policemen with drawn guns slowly approached the car and yelled for us all to get out of the car slowly and with our hands in the air.

We were taken to the police station in LaGrange and questioned and we explained what had happened. Everyone got a big laugh out of it and we were sent on our way with the promise we would not drink beer in a dry county again.

Dewdo in the other Washington

2000 Dodge Ram 3500 dually with cummins diesel, Automatic, 4:10, BD exhaust brake, Auto Loc, DTT TC/VB, VA Box, Boost module/elbow, 4" exhaust, 14 cm turbo housing + All goodies including leather.
1992 King Of the Road fiver, 2000 11.5 Arctic Fox slide in with all the goodies. (love those goodies)

Old 10-22-2001, 03:58 PM   #3

You could make a movie out of that one! ROFLMAO

Beautiful Bon Voyage Classic Hi-Lo Tow Vehicle 96 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 5.9 liter engine W/Ext.Cab Flo Master Exaust and Performance Air Filter
Old 11-01-2001, 02:41 PM   #4

Dewdo,

Your killing me! My throat is almost swole shut from laughing so hard! Great, this is all I'm going to think about for the next few hours...I'll be lucky to live.

- JyRO
JyRO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:53 PM   #5

If I saw that om TV I wouldn't believe it!