Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
No, they wouldn't. Wages would seek a 'natural' level, on their own. Those with less experience (my first job, as a 14 year old, I made less than $1 per hour) would accept less to get that experience and would expect something more as their skill and experience level rose. The minimum wage, IMHO, does nothing but limit opportunity for those with limited cognitive or experience/skill levels. As minimum wage goes up, the employment rate among the unskilled will fall. Locking the unskilled out of the job market will only serve to sentence some of them to a life of total dependency.

I doubt that first job would have been available to me if they'd had to pay me $5, $6 or more per hour.
Well said. I refrained from replying to Francesca because of moderator admonition about the thread devolving to political banter. Glad somebody answered anyway.

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2011, 02:04 PM   #30

Most people don't recognise that we live in a GLOBAL economy.

I was with Boeing for many years. With a large number of our overseas customeres there was almost always some "offset" agreement, where Boeing agreed to have companies in the customers' countries that had good high-tech industries build some components for the model(s) of airplane we'd sold there. Tailplanes for one model are made in Italy, flaps for others are made in Australia, landing gear for one model is made by a German/French/British partnership. There are lots of other examples. In all these cases, Boeing did the engineering and provided the drawings and manufacturing procedure specifications. The system worked well almost every time.

The only glitch I got involved in was when, on one of my 767 deliveries, we didn't find out that one of its engines was made for GE by the French company CFM. It had shipped in through GE. and we'd assumed it was US built. We were delivering on a Monday morning and discovered late Friday that there was no foreign manufacture paperwork for FAA cert. Try getting a French engineer out of bed in the wee hours of his Saturday to get the paperwork sorted and faxed over. We made it, but with only about 2 hours to spare.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Well said. I refrained from replying to Francesca because of moderator admonition about the thread devolving to political banter. Glad somebody answered anyway.

Jim
Me, too!
I thought the Admin Admonition was for me- I guess because it followed my post.
I thought I'd kept away from anything but simple economics.
I'm a dyed in the wool Capitalist, and Capitalism is an economic system, not a political system.
Wages and outsourcing are basic economics, and politically neutral if let to be.
Seems to me that Moderator Jay's post is in that tone, and consistent with Administrator Rjay's stay-away-from-politics warning.

Of course, macroeconomics is stupefyingly boring to most folks.
Since the O.P. posted the Pic for its laugh value, it wouldn't be fair to him to get into a prolonged discussion

Talk about a thread killer!

Francesca
Old 09-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Old 09-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #33

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Don't know if it is still the case, but Italian shoes, USA leather. The only way products will ever be made only in ( insert country here), is if we no longer travel to or communicate with other countries. It is Global Ecinomics and there is no going back to the dark ages.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some TV show compared a Ford product to a competing Honda.. The Honda was "More American" than the Ford, I might add it is of higher quality too. but what can I say, the family who was shopping to replace their wheezing and ailing Ford (Which lasted a good 80,000 miles less than a comparable GM would have) stuck with low millage, early death ford as their vehicle of choice..

I do agree, it is a complex world and figuring out how "American" a vehicle is does indeed require someone with more resourcesthan I have.

Perhaps someone could do a report (How about it Big Network News stations?)
Old 09-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Sorry!
I lost my head- competition's so fierce in the Threadkiller Thread that it's tempting to branch out a little...
Any chance I can earn some points over at Are You A Thread Killer for being
"The Last Poster Here Immediately Before The Mods Stepped In And Told Us To Knock It Off"?

It'd mean a lot if you could put in a bad word for me...
Might give me some props with my homeys!

Thanks!

Francesca
My post wasn't meant to single out anyone or even imply there was a problem. I only meant it as a friendly reminder that subjects such as this involving the government can go over the line quickly.

So no, I can't put in a bad word for you over at the “Are You A Thread Killer” thread because you haven't earned it.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
So no, I can't put in a bad word for you over at the “Are You A Thread Killer” thread because you haven't earned it.

Francesca
Old 09-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #37

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Guess I'd better go to Thread Killer now before it's killed so I can be the last poster.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:11 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Global Economy Baffles Simpletons, cont'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I get your point, but actually......see HERE.

My Acura was built in Marysville, OH using an engine built in Ada, OH. On the other hand, my "good ole American" Dodge Ram was built in Saltillo, Mexico.

Things are not always as they appear in a complex, global economy.

Rusty
Right on, Rusty

My Tundra is built in San Antonio, so misinformed are Americans that Toyota put "Born In Texas" stickers on them all.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #39

Thor Owners Club
I personally am glad this thread died on it's own. To me it was a real close walk. Peace..D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #40

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Thread killer!
Old 09-24-2011, 10:45 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Guess I should have specified HUMOR in the title to the original post.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:48 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm laughing, Dennis!

I love this country...and all us lunatics in it!

Francesca

P.S.

Here's another Clueless Car:

And this one's EVEN BETTER!!!: