Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:23 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
I am convinced you don't earn ˜fame', someone grants it to you. And like the guy on TV describing the "tornada that wuz out behin' the barn", fame is fleeting.

Our 15 minutes of fame came back in 2003 when, in a period of poor judgment, I decided to take my family and two of my nephews on a cross-country, 3.5 week vacation in our new Itasca Suncruiser. We also brought our new dog at the time. Since I did not necessarily consult my wife on any of the planning or the fact that I was including the two nephews, she was not a ˜happy camper'.

One of our stops was Reno, Nevada where ESPN was holding their Great Outdoor Games. Three days of axes, jumping dogs, souped up chain saws, archery, skeet – a real ˜guy' event! Son Matt had been watching these Games on TV for a few years and they were always held in Lake Placid, NY. Unfortunately, after I promised to take him, we found out that ESPN, in its infinite wisdom, decided to move the Games to Reno... Hence, a cross country vacation was born.

While watching the preliminary shooting competition, I struck up a conversion with the lady behind me. After telling her our 6,000 plus mile itinerary and the vast amounts of human cargo I was transporting, she invited my family to be interviewed on her Arizona radio show and brought over an ESPN producer that she knew. Boy, all this over a crazy Dad...

So our next day starts with a 6AM (!!!!) interview on the radio. Do you know how hard it is to get 5 boys and wife up at 4:30AM so that everyone can get washed up, fed and dressed (one bathroom, thank GOD I do not have girls!)? The dog was no problem... I pack everyone up in the toad, haul butt to the interview, and they only want to talk to me!!! ˜Grumble' is an understatement.

Later that morning, I get THE CALL from ESPN. Meet at the Games at 1PM in the blistering heat for a ˜shoot' (I guess that is TV lingo). We get there and boom, we see camera guys, lighting guys, produces, ˜on air' talent (Jamie Little who was relatively unknown at the time but is now a NASCAR trackside correspondent and appeared in FHM magazine with VERY little clothing on, ahh but I digress...). All this commotion for a bunch of RVers?

They ask us questions, they line us up, they do ˜retakes' (I'm getting good at this TV lingo), more questions to the kids, we sign papers, and then they decide to do a ˜remote shoot' at the motor home.

My wife's face goes WHITE! The motor home CAN'T be on TV, it isn't CLEAN.

She bolts to the toad, speeds to the campground, and has that camper as clean as a whistle in no time (we should be on TV more often...).

The rest of us are loaded into indiscrete vans (probably so the fans won't attack us) and trucked to the campsite.

Here it goes again. Questions, retakes, shoot inside the motor home, shoot outside, retakes, lighting, props,... And then like that, here are some T-shirts for the kids and everyone is GONE!

Is our fame over? Are we going back to being a normal family?

We go back to the Games and to watch dogs run fast while middle-aged women who can't run fast chase after them. I think they call it ˜Agility'...

Once again my phone rings. A reporter from a San Diego newspaper wants to interview us NOW. As my ˜now famous' son Matt coolly leans back against the bleachers, he says ˜Dad, after this one, I'm not granting any more interviews'!

Click below to see our family's 15 minutes of fame:

RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2008, 01:23 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I am convinced you don't earn ˜fame', someone grants it to you. And like the guy on TV describing the "tornada that wuz out behin' the barn", fame is fleeting.

Our 15 minutes of fame came back in 2003 when, in a period of poor judgment, I decided to take my family and two of my nephews on a cross-country, 3.5 week vacation in our new Itasca Suncruiser. We also brought our new dog at the time. Since I did not necessarily consult my wife on any of the planning or the fact that I was including the two nephews, she was not a ˜happy camper'.

One of our stops was Reno, Nevada where ESPN was holding their Great Outdoor Games. Three days of axes, jumping dogs, souped up chain saws, archery, skeet – a real ˜guy' event! Son Matt had been watching these Games on TV for a few years and they were always held in Lake Placid, NY. Unfortunately, after I promised to take him, we found out that ESPN, in its infinite wisdom, decided to move the Games to Reno... Hence, a cross country vacation was born.

While watching the preliminary shooting competition, I struck up a conversion with the lady behind me. After telling her our 6,000 plus mile itinerary and the vast amounts of human cargo I was transporting, she invited my family to be interviewed on her Arizona radio show and brought over an ESPN producer that she knew. Boy, all this over a crazy Dad...

So our next day starts with a 6AM (!!!!) interview on the radio. Do you know how hard it is to get 5 boys and wife up at 4:30AM so that everyone can get washed up, fed and dressed (one bathroom, thank GOD I do not have girls!)? The dog was no problem... I pack everyone up in the toad, haul butt to the interview, and they only want to talk to me!!! ˜Grumble' is an understatement.

Later that morning, I get THE CALL from ESPN. Meet at the Games at 1PM in the blistering heat for a ˜shoot' (I guess that is TV lingo). We get there and boom, we see camera guys, lighting guys, produces, ˜on air' talent (Jamie Little who was relatively unknown at the time but is now a NASCAR trackside correspondent and appeared in FHM magazine with VERY little clothing on, ahh but I digress...). All this commotion for a bunch of RVers?

They ask us questions, they line us up, they do ˜retakes' (I'm getting good at this TV lingo), more questions to the kids, we sign papers, and then they decide to do a ˜remote shoot' at the motor home.

My wife's face goes WHITE! The motor home CAN'T be on TV, it isn't CLEAN.

She bolts to the toad, speeds to the campground, and has that camper as clean as a whistle in no time (we should be on TV more often...).

The rest of us are loaded into indiscrete vans (probably so the fans won't attack us) and trucked to the campsite.

Here it goes again. Questions, retakes, shoot inside the motor home, shoot outside, retakes, lighting, props,... And then like that, here are some T-shirts for the kids and everyone is GONE!

Is our fame over? Are we going back to being a normal family?

We go back to the Games and to watch dogs run fast while middle-aged women who can't run fast chase after them. I think they call it ˜Agility'...

Once again my phone rings. A reporter from a San Diego newspaper wants to interview us NOW. As my ˜now famous' son Matt coolly leans back against the bleachers, he says ˜Dad, after this one, I'm not granting any more interviews'!

Click below to see our family's 15 minutes of fame:

Old 10-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Tom...I had to laugh...You know how it seems like a day of TV and radio interviews? Well I hate to be the bearer of "bad news" .. but that was less than 2 minutes!

What a great story! I do have a couple of questions though...
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Did your son do Agility with your dog? <LI>Did Katherine forgive you for getting the family into that? <LI>Does she read this forum - cuz you may be dead if she does! <LI>and finally - How much are you willing to pay so she doesn't read this? [/list]OK.. all kidding aside - what a great heart-warming, family filled story. You must be a very proud Dad..and if you aren't...you should be!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:38 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
1. No agility. Dog got spoiled. Son discovered girls and football (but also made Eagle Scout)

2. Katharine has forgiven me for that and MANY other vacation episodes over the last 21 years...

3. Katharine ONLY reads about quilting (we have had MANY RV trips to Paducah, KY - the Mecca of quilting) so I'm safe on this forum. But I do have her approve the content of all my stories. You should see the good stuff she rejected!

4. Pay you so she doesn't read this??? Remember I'm from Jersey and our state government trains us to tender payoffs as a normal way of conducting business...
Old 10-20-2008, 05:42 AM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">4. Pay you so she doesn't read this??? Remember I'm from Jersey and our state government trains us to tender payoffs as a normal way of conducting business... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That seems to be a way of life in more places than just New Jersey!
Great experience for your family and something they will remember for the rest of their lives.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:04 AM   #6

I enjoyed your interview. I truly had fun watching it.
Thanks
Happymi
Old 10-21-2008, 05:42 AM   #7

What a great experience! It will be one of those "remember when we" moments at family gatherings in the future! I enjoyed your 15 minutes of fame!

Vicky (Captdonswife)
Captdonswife is offline   Reply With Quote