Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think lose and loose come in right at the top with break and brake.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2016, 07:07 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
I think lose and loose come in right at the top with break and brake.
It's hard to chews between them too.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:10 PM   #31

When I worked at Halliburton we had a very international staff. Everyone spoke English but they’d nearly all learned it in a foreign classroom. Occasionally, for fun I’d give a greeting in English slang such as “Hey Mahmood, how you be?” I’d invariably get a confused look as they’d try to restructure the sentence in their head to figure out what I’d just said.

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:00 PM   #32

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
When I worked at Halliburton we had a very international staff. Everyone spoke English but they’d nearly all learned it in a foreign classroom.
On many occasions when calling tech support that has been off shored, you encounter people who can speak English but can't understand it. A perfect example was a post I read a few years ago. A lady stated she called tech support about a problem with her laptop. She talked to a tech support person in India. She told him she was having a problem getting her laptop to work. He replied, "Let me see if I understand your problem correctly. You are having a problem transporting your laptop to your place of employment."
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:05 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Tech helpers in India speak British English with an Indian accent. This half deaf redneck has no idea what they are saying...

Once when I wasn't paying close attention to my 5 yr old son, he said " Are you hearsening me? I guess it made perfectly good sense for him to combine listening and hearing.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:58 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
I'm really, really surprised that no one has mentioned probably the most misused homophone in rv forums (this one included).

Break and Brake

Ron
Disk. Disc.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 03:03 AM   #35

Record a record
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #36
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
When I worked at Halliburton we had a very international staff. Everyone spoke English but they’d nearly all learned it in a foreign classroom. Occasionally, for fun I’d give a greeting in English slang such as “Hey Mahmood, how you be?” I’d invariably get a confused look as they’d try to restructure the sentence in their head to figure out what I’d just said.

Steve

Steve, you're a baaad boy!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:02 PM   #37

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Be bee
see. sea
I eye
straight. strait
leak (curse word). leek (food)
beet beat

How do people learn this language, anyhow?
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Dan Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Wong
I am going back to tell my English teacher its not my fault. it is your English suckks (hehehe)
Dan Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:52 PM   #39

What blew my mind when I started studying German was that they not only had feminine and masculine genders for inanimate objects, they also had neuter genders for animate objects. For example, a male is masculine from birth, but a girl is neuter until she reaches puberty.

Who cares whether a table is feminine or masculine? I'm glad that the developers of the English langauge dropped that kinda crap. Totally unnecessary.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:35 PM   #40

American English evolved from all native languages spoken in Europe. That makes it the hardest to learn, however, it is slowly evolving into a language spoken world-wide. Why aren't words spelled like they sound though? Like craft sounds like kraft.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:16 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
What blew my mind when I started studying German was that they not only had feminine and masculine genders for inanimate objects, they also had neuter genders for animate objects. For example, a male is masculine from birth, but a girl is neuter until she reaches puberty.

Who cares whether a table is feminine or masculine? I'm glad that the developers of the English langauge dropped that kinda crap. Totally unnecessary.
I am so glad someone else besides me feels that way about gender application. THANK YOU!!!

Steve

BTW I was verbally reamed by my high school Spanish teacher 51 years ago when I voiced that exact same complaint. And he never did give a decent answer to my complaint.
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:39 AM   #42

I had a deal with a girlfriend decades ago while in the US Army living in Germany.

She would help me with my German classes that I was taking at night, and I would help her with her English classes that she was taking.

Her German, while something she spoke from birth, apparently was not as good as my German instructor would have liked, which I found amusing. She would tell me how to pronounce a word, or what it meant, and I would get 'corrected' in class the next day.

All was fine till she asked me what a 'lorry' was. Then my own understanding of my language was thrown under the bus.

Anyway, I would offer up these words for considerations:

Principal, Principle
core, corp
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote