Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:59 AM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
My favorite:

First we raise a barn, then 50 years later we raze the same barn.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2016, 02:24 PM   #58

Sometimes "having fun" with the written word can be damaging to your employment. I saw a story a while back about a TV News script-writer who decided to have fun with an on-camera newsreader.

He copied over an AP story about an Oriental carrier's 777 accident at SFO, then edited it to include the "names" of the flight crew. He expected the reader (or the prompter operator) to realize that "Som Ting Wong, Wi Tu Lo, Ho Lee F*c and Ding Bang Ow" weren't real, but she read them out on the air.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:11 PM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ten and tin are not pronounced the same. My wife also has issues with pin and pen. She hears them the same, and so pronounces them the same. Sort of a melding of the i and e sounds.

Oops. Didn't realize this thread had five pages. My comment refers back to page one.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:23 PM   #60
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
Ten and tin are not pronounced the same. My wife also has issues with pin and pen. She hears them the same, and so pronounces them the same. Sort of a melding of the i and e sounds.

Oops. Didn't realize this thread had five pages. My comment refers back to page one.

I'm confused! How can you pronounce ten & tin differently?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:36 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The same way the words pin and pen sound different.

Try this link:

http://youtu.be/0dBxvUmetyk
Old 05-20-2016, 04:38 PM   #62
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4MBG View Post
The same way the words pin and pen sound different.

Try this link:

http://youtu.be/0dBxvUmetyk

Pen and pin don't sound different to me!

Old 05-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
There is a difference...

"Those sure some good lookin' hogs in thet peyan obadiah."

And

"I thank I left a pien in my new shirt, or either they's a scorpin down my back!"

You just have to listen to the nuances and pay attention to the context...
Old 05-20-2016, 05:56 PM   #64
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I listened to the girl in the video say pen and pin. Sounds the same to me! In your example, you're putting in extra letters to make them sound like you think they should be!

Old 05-21-2016, 05:55 AM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's the same issue my wife has. She can't hear the difference either. Until now, I didn't realize that others can't hear the difference.

There really is a substantial difference. I guess people hear things differently.

(Way too many instances of the word "difference". I'll have to try using a different word. )
Old 05-21-2016, 10:32 AM   #66

larry the bear - This reminds me of an old Candid Camera routine (as I remember) where people in the deep South were asked to pronounce and describe a word on a flashcard. ALL and OIL - Well there's the "ALL" dee-terjint and there's "ALL" ya put in yer car. TAR and TIRE - TAR's that black stuff on the road and "TARs" is whut ya put on yer car. Sounded the same to me, and evidently to a lot of the audience. I suppose even though the pronunciation sounds just about the same, the meaning depends on the context of the conversation between the speaker and listener.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:02 PM   #67

While in the Army, in Germany, I was informed that southern Connecticut, where I am from, is considered one of the few places that speaks American English without an accent.

I had several German friends but one in particular was learning conversational English, and we taught each other. I helped her with with her English lessons, and she helped me with my German.

Her German written textbooks, on how to speak English, indicated that southern Connecticut and certain places in the midwest had no American Accent. I believe the premise was that you should try to sound like you came from either of those two places to have non-dialectic American English.

I do not recall any particular place that was said to speak unaccented Queen's English. Perhaps the Germans of that time did not have a particular type of Queen's English they considered non-accented.

Personally, I have never had a problem hearing the difference in the words so far listed. Still, I love the sound of a southern belle. If I get a call or speak with someone with one, I consider it a bonus.

Lastly, I speak without an accent. (I have been told this by several people in several parts of the U.S. and other parts of the globe). My wife sounds to me to have very little accent as well, for the most part. (My guess because her father was a career Army man, so my guess is she did some travel)

My daughter, however, is currently 13, and has lived her whole life in these north Boston suburbs. Sometimes she makes a statement with her wicked cool Bostonian accent. I get such a kick out of it, I have had her repeat the statement more than once.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:28 PM   #68
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
larry the bear - This reminds me of an old Candid Camera routine (as I remember) where people in the deep South were asked to pronounce and describe a word on a flashcard. ALL and OIL - Well there's the "ALL" dee-terjint and there's "ALL" ya put in yer car. TAR and TIRE - TAR's that black stuff on the road and "TARs" is whut ya put on yer car. Sounded the same to me, and evidently to a lot of the audience. I suppose even though the pronunciation sounds just about the same, the meaning depends on the context of the conversation between the speaker and listener.
Also as in....."my son's a FLAR in the Air Force, I have pretty FLARS in the garden, and the best biscuits are made with Martha White FLAR". Sounds right to me

In my observations, I've noticed one thing the British accent and the Southern drawl have in common. They both put emphasis on using vowel sounds in place of consonants depending on dialect. Brits: "where have you beeen?" S drawl: "I caught a big feesh".

I also read somewhere that the only accent in the USA that is purely native to the USA is the Southern drawl, or maybe it was the Cajun accent? Interesting posts peggwn and KSagal. Karl I'm curious, what part of the Midwest is supposed to be without accent?

Regards,
W.D.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:22 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
I also read somewhere that the only accent in the USA that is purely native to the USA is the Southern drawl, or maybe it was the Cajun accent? Interesting posts peggwn and KSagal. Karl I'm curious, what part of the Midwest is supposed to be without accent?

Regards,
W.D.
I must not understand... Cajun has significant amounts of French, and some folks I know from Haiti had a similar timber...

My post was from recalling a 35 year old conversation I had with a girl in my broken German, with her slightly less broken English. I recall the bit about where I grew up, but the midwest thing I do not recall the details. I believe that at the time (70s and 80s) it was fairly commonplace for newscasters to come from the midwest because of their ability to be understood by all.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:01 AM   #70
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I think my first recollection is correct, the Southern drawl is unique to the USA. The French aspect did come to my mind too regarding Cajun, I just wasn't totally sure.

Anyway, very interesting Karl thanks for the reply. I asked about the Midwest because I'm originally from there, and thought too that we really had no accent. However, I've lived in the South for many years and one; they'll tell you right away you have an accent . Two; when I go back to the Midwest, they now think I have an accent, (if I do it's not much). Three; the funny thing is, I've been away for long enough periods of time to now detect...(in my ears)....let's say, an Upper Midwest accent I never realized was there before (when I go back there). I hear things differently than I once did.

It's quite amusing and as I said interesting to study and observe.

Best regards,
W.D.