Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Police Harassment

Police Harassment, Chula Vista, California style -

Recently, the Chula Vista, California Police Department ran an e-mail forum with the local community (a question and answer exchange) with the topic being, "Community Policing." One of the civilian e-mail participants posed the following question:

"I would like to know how it is possible for police officers to continually harass people and get away with it?"

From the "other side" (the law enforcement side) Sgt. Bennett, obviously a cop with a sense of humor replied: "First of all, let me tell you this . . . it's not easy. In Chula Vista, we average one cop for every 600 people.

Only about 60% of those cops are on general duty (or what you might refer to as "patrol") where we do most of our harassing. The rest are in non-harassing departments that do not allow them contact with the day to day innocents.

At any given moment, only one-fifth of the 60% patrollers are on duty and available for harassing people while the rest are off duty. So roughly, one cop is responsible for harassing about 5,000 residents. When you toss in the commercial business, and tourist locations that attract people from other areas, sometimes you have a situation where a single cop is responsible for harassing 10,000 or more people a day.”

Now, your average ten-hour shift runs 36,000 seconds long. This gives a cop one second to harass a person, and then only three-fourths of a second to eat a donut AND then find a new person to harass.

This is not an easy task. To be honest, most cops are not up to this challenge day in and day out. It is just too tiring.

What we do is utilize some tools to help us narrow down those people which we can realistically harass.

The tools available to us are as follow: PHONE: People will call us up and point out things that cause us to focus on a person for special harassment. "My neighbor is beating his wife" is a code phrase used often. This means we'll come out and give somebody some special harassment.

Another popular one: "There's a guy breaking into a house." The harassment team is then put into action.

CARS: We have special cops assigned to harass people who drive. They like to harass the drivers of fast cars, cars with no insurance or no driver's licenses and the like. It's lots of fun when you pick them out of traffic for nothing more obvious than running a red light.

Sometimes you get to really heap the harassment on when you find they have drugs in the car, they are drunk, or have an outstanding warrant on file.

RUNNERS: Some people take off running just at the sight of a police officer. Nothing is quite as satisfying as running after them like a beagle on the scent of a bunny. When you catch them you can harass them for hours to determine why they didn't want to talk to us.

STATUTES: When we don't have PHONES or CARS and have nothing better to do, there are actually books that give us ideas for reasons to harass folks. They are called "Statutes"; Criminal Codes, Motor Vehicle Codes, etc . . . They all spell out all sorts of things for which you can really mess with people.

After you read the statute, you can just drive around for a while until you find someone violating one of these listed offenses and harass them. Just last week I saw a guy trying to steal a car. Well, there's this book we have that says that's not allowed. That meant I got permission to harass this guy. It's a really cool system that we've set up, and it works pretty well.

We seem to have a never-ending supply of folks to harass. And we get away with it. Why? Because for the good citizens who pay the tab, we try to keep the streets safe for them, and they pay us to "harass" some people.

Next time you are in my town, give me the old "single finger wave." That's another one of those codes. It means, "You can't harass me." It's one of our favorites. I wouldn't be surprised if this works in Columbus, too . . .

Hopefully sir, this has clarified to you a little bit better how we harass the good citizens of Chula Vista.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2014, 07:07 AM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Subject: Those mean cops harassed me
Judge: What were you doing at the time
Subject: Well, I'd just knocked over a little old lady and grabbed her purse, and then for no reason at all those cops started chasing me.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #3
Ford Super Duty Owner

I Don't Care Who You Are, That Right There Is Funny!!!
Thanks So Much For A Great Morning Laugh...
Bilgerat: Chuck, Kassie, Freddie, Lady, Prince, Smokey, Merlin
2000 Pace Arrow Vision 36', V-10, Banks, Onan 5500, Blue Ox, 2014 Forester, SKP 130599, FT'ing 2+Yrs.
Bilgerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It wasn't so bad! I grew up in Chula Vista, graduated with the 1st class of Hilltop High a long time ago.
04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brake-Pro, ,, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
Anyone who wants to gripe about a policeman's job should try it themselves. If you run red lights, quit bitching and pay the ticket, you go over speed limit, pay the ticket.

Al, Michigan.
Al, Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #7
One day, when certain areas of certain cities call for help, nobody will come.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Passed it on to all my email friends. Very funny!
Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:18 PM   #9

As a retired LEO my favorite one and I heard it alot was when you asked a suspect why he or she was running from you, wait for it "BECAUSE YOU WERE CHASING ME"!

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #10

On foot, on ATVs, in boats, cars and trucks, the answer was always the same, "Because you were chasing me"

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote