Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:01 AM   #1

Remember Slow Food?

Remember Slow Food?

'Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'

'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,

I informed him.

'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'

'It was a place called 'at
Home,'' I explained. !

'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it :

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, never wore Levis, never set foot on a golf course, never traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears & Roebuck.
Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer.

I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow)
We didn't have a television in our house until I was 11.

It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God; it came back on the air at about 6 a.m. And there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people.

I was 19 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called 'pizza pie.' When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers--my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which he got to keep 2 cents. He had to get up at 6 AM every morning.

On Saturday, he had to collect the 42 cents from his customers. His favorite customers were the ones who gave him 50 cents and told him to keep the change. His least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren

Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend :

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.

Ignition switches on the dashboard.

Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.

Real ice boxes.*:-h wave

Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.

Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.

Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz :

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about. Ratings at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with table side jukeboxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines on the telephone
8 Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11.. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels...[if you were fortunate)
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15.S&H green stamps
16. Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19. Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22.Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You' re older than dirt!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.

Don't forget to pass this along!!
Especially to all your really good
old friends
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2016, 10:10 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Pa! Is that you!

I'm not older than dirt, but we were both born on the same day.

I remembered 22. How about the Fuller brush man. Ours was almost blind and had a seeing-eye German Shepherd dog.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:16 AM   #3

Thanks for the memories, I guess I'm older than dirt as I remember all those things growing up, and you are right those memories are some of the best parts of my life. Kids today don't know how good they got it, or if it is really that good to begin with. Things were much simpler then and a lot less to worry about.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:26 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
It's sad where this world, this country, is heading. Honor, Integrity, and Honesty have been thrown out the window, all the way up to the highest levels in the country. Won't be long until Sodom and Gomorrah will look like a summer religious retreat.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:33 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Good one. I did remember all 25 and probably could add a few more.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:43 AM   #6

I remember those days too

Marlboro was showing us how to be manly
Virginia Slims shaped our view of a sophisticated woman
No one had ever heard of airbags, collapsible steering columns or energy absorbing cage construction in cars
The air pollution in LA was like Mexico City and China is today
Child predators were given free rein in schools and churches
It was illegal for blacks and whites to marry in many places

Thanks anyway, I'll do without the Butch Wax
Old 01-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #7

Not only do I remember ALL of them, I used/experienced ALL of them.

Mom made lunches for us youngins.....brown paper bag with a dime taped to it for a carton of milk

Thursday's super was 'Must Goes'..........leftovers from the prior week

Sunday..........That is when we went out to restaurant after church for lunch,
Then evening was fend for yourself...Mom's night off
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:36 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Our family lived paycheck to paycheck. My mother would make just enough supper to feed our family of seven. When my mother made fried ground beef patties, she would always end up with one extra patty. The joke around the family was that if the lights went out at dinner, the first one to stab the extra beef patty, got the patty and six forks in the back of their hand.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #9

Talking

. . .Used to have a hand towel from " Mabel's ( Girlyhouse ) " - Double Blue Chip Stamps every Tuesday. . . My Mom gave it to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. . .REALLY!!!!
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:54 PM   #10

strolling down memory lane

I am old as dirt but thats what I came from and that where I will return;however it been a blessed life with a lot of great memories. Our country has gone to the pits used to be dogs but I wouldn't wish our situation on them. I lived all your old memories and would love to do it again. I am a retired military man that doesn't worry about our country anymore too old to change anything but I do pray everyday for my brothers in the military and for this great country.
cmcguire48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:55 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wooden orange crates (also lettuce) given free to kids, by the neighborhood grocer, as building material. We used to build lots of things from those when I was a child. We returned soda bottles to that same grocery store for the two cents deposit we received for each bottle.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:04 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am not as old as dirt, but I remember alot of those. I had to laugh about the ironing bottle...remember my grandmother doing that and if I helped, got to eat fresh baked cinnamon buns. Thanks for the memories as Bob Hope used to sign.

Oh, and remember that if you angered Momma Bear a time out in those days was a "black out", not a time out?
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:55 PM   #13

Well this just proved my daughter was right all along. She always told me I was older than dirt!

At the supper table when we placed a chunk of meat on our plate I would always lick it and say out loud "I licked it" so one of my 6 brothers or sisters would not steel it away from me.

Thanks for the memories
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Mom made lunches for us youngins.....brown paper bag with a dime taped to it for a carton of milk
Dime? Shoot, I used to pay 3 cents for a carton of milk! I was in the eighth grade when it went up to a nickel a carton.