Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:20 PM   #1

Seriously!?

Last weekend we went on our first trip and spent a couple days at Payne's Prairie State Park just outside of Gainesville, FL. We got up early Wednesday morning to dump the tanks and get to Shands Hosp for my wife's treatment.

Everything went smoothly as we unhooked and made our way to the dump site at about 7:30 A.M. and while this was our first time dumping the black tank it all went very smoothly and while we were waiting for it to quit draining so we could flush with the gray a small van RV pulled up and a guy about my age came up very impatiently and stated: "Hey, w'ere in a hurry as we have an appointment at Gainesville and we're running late...could you hurry it up?".

I looked at my wife, we both looked down at the clear connector at the waste inlet and seeing the waste continue to drain I looked up at him and said...just what would you like me to do? He stated, "we're running late" and I said...well, I guess you should have gotten an earlier start! He copped an attitude and stomped back to his van.

We finished soon after that and got out of his way but even though this was not a big deal it upset us that someone would or could do such a thing? What was he thinking we were doing...just standing there looking at our drain hose? Did he expect us to just stop and get out of his way?

Just a reminder to everyone to use common sense and even more so...common decency which seems to be in short supply sometimes.

Not a great way to start our RV experience but we won't let it spoil it!

BTW: Payne's Prairie State Park is a great place...nice trails, beautiful lake and very nice camping spots and facilities! We're looking forward to going back again and fishing in that lake!
Barrett-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #2

His fault, not your's. I wouldn't sweat it. You find the same rude people are out there no matter what hobby you choose. [emoji12]

Good news, there are way more great people willing to help and be kind to others than the ones that care only about themselves.

Who knows, maybe it was simply a bad day and he normally wouldn't do that to folks.

Happy travels!
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:13 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
There are jerks everywhere. Don't worry about it.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:32 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Is it possible you actually were there for a long, long time since it was your first dump and he had been waiting? Maybe you didn't realize you had been there an hour as I've seen some take for a 10 minute job
or maybe there was a bit of an edge on both sides of the conversation ?!?

Yes, while he should have gotten up earlier,
and it really isn't mandatory you dump every time you break camp, and ....

You COULD have responded that you were almost done and would get out as soon as possible to help him out...

you could have done what I've seen done... pull up, not pull out the stinky slinky and just open the dump valves onto the ground, and wash it down with a hose !!!!
Old 08-08-2017, 11:49 AM   #5

Like it has been said jerks everywhere even in nice parks.

While I haven't stayed there I drove through it to check it out and liked it. I go to Shands often and have been thinking about staying there. Most of the time I just drive it round trip which about 360 miles, not fun.
TDroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gee, I was hoping for the "punch line" that after you finished, he hooked up and started emptying his black tank and the hose got uncoupled and sprayed all over him.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:10 PM   #7

I wouldn't worry about it, I think you handled it just fine. As for how long you took, who cares you were there first and as long as you weren't purposely taking forever to do it, no big deal. We all had a learning curve and the more you do it the faster you will be able to do it. I'm sure anybody who complains didn't do it in a timely manner their first few times.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:20 PM   #8

You did fine.

You could have pointed to the flow and state some snark remark about your rv having IBS and it just has poor bowel movements or sxxt only flows so fast....

You were also in a hurry and doing things in a timely manner.

He could have driven on and dumped later if he was late.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #9

Yea...it's very nice...of course we're new RVers and we've only seen a few. We were down in your neck of the woods to buy a Blue Ox tow bar last week and stopped in at the Myakka State Park and it was pretty flooded from the recent rains but I was not impressed with the RV parking areas. Not sure how the fishing is though.
Barrett-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:10 PM   #10

I would have told him to finish it up for me.... :-) and as soon as he started be like....
Are you done yet? How much longer? What's taking so long? I'm hungry.....
Adamsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:53 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Others are annoying...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Others are annoying...
Sorry could not help it... :-)
Adamsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:52 AM   #13

One of my mantras...
I only have two speeds, if you don't like this one you surely won't like the next.
Ernie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:47 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Seriously

Don't let it bother you......You'll find those kind anywhere you go, whether it's a campground, shopping at Bloomingdale's or at McDonalds. - I'd have just smiled at the person and said something like "I'll be done in a couple of minutes" and that's about it.
FMCA # F26083
fluffyms is offline   Reply With Quote