Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #1

Sometimes you need to pay attention

This could happen to any of us…
“$5.37!” is what the kid behind the counter at McDonald’s told me.

I dug into my pocket and pulled out some lint and two dimes and something that used to be a Lifesaver. Having already handed the kid a five-spot, I started to head back out to the truck to grab some change when the kid with the Elmo hairdo said the worst thing anyone has ever said to me, “It’s OK. I’ll just give you the senior citizen discount.”
I turned to see who he was talking to and then heard the sound of change hitting the counter in front of me.

“Only $4.68,” he said cheerfully.

I stood there stupefied. I am 56, not even 60 yet! A mere child! Senior citizen?
I took my food and walked out to the truck wondering what was wrong with Elmo. Was he blind? As I sat in the truck, my blood began to boil. Old? Me?
I’ll show him, I thought. I opened the door and headed back inside. I strode to the counter, and there he was waiting with a smile.

Before I could say a word, he held up something and jingled it in front of me, like I could be that easily distracted! What am I now? A toddler?
“Dude! Can’t get too far without your car keys, eh?”
I stared with utter disdain at the keys. I began to rationalize in my mind, “Leaving keys behind hardly makes a man elderly! It could happen to anyone!”
I turned and headed back to the truck. I slipped the key into the ignition, but it wouldn’t turn. What now? I checked my keys and tried another. Still nothing.

That’s when I noticed the purple beads hanging from the rear-view mirror. Then, a few other objects came into focus on the seat in the back. Happy Meal toys were spread all over the floorboard. A partially eaten doughnut rested on the dashboard.
Faster than you can say, “Ginkgo biloba,” I flew out of that alien vehicle.
Moments later I was speeding out of the parking lot, relieved to finally be leaving this nightmarish stop in my life.

That is when I felt it, deep in the bowels of my stomach: hunger! My stomach growled and churned, and I reached to grab my coffee, only it was nowhere to be found.
I swung the truck around, gathered my courage, and strode back into the restaurant one final time. There Elmo stood, draped in youth and black nail polish. All I could think was, “What is the world coming to?”

All I could say was, “Did I leave my food and drink in here?” At this point I was ready to ask a Boy Scout to help me back to my vehicle, and then go straight home and apply for Social Assistance benefits.
Elmo had no clue. I walked back out to the truck, and suddenly a young lad came up and tugged on my jeans to get my attention. He was holding up a drink and a bag. His mother explained, “I think you left this in my truck by mistake.”

I took the food and drink from the little boy and sheepishly apologized.
She offered these kind words: “It’s OK. My grandfather does stuff like this all the time.”
All of this is to explain how I got a ticket doing 85 in a 40. Yes, I was racing some punk kid in a Prius. And no, I told the officer, I’m not too old to be driving this fast.

As I walked in the front door, my wife met me halfway down the hall. I handed her a bag of cold food and a $300 speeding ticket. I promptly sat in my rocking chair and covered up my legs with a blankey.

The good news was I had successfully found my way home.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
OMG !!!!
too funny !!!
great story telling too ....

Old 12-26-2012, 08:05 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Spartan Chassis

It happens to be best of us!!
Old 12-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #4

Sounds like my day!

Good one
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSherwin View Post
............... at McDonald’s ...........
This was your first mistake.......

Don
Old 12-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As I recall.. McD's gives senior discount starting at ye-old double nickles (55 years old) I've been drinking senior coffee for many years.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Oh, I feel soooo much better.

Dave
Old 12-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So that's where I left my Happy Meal!

I'm so relieved.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:50 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
The first thing to go is your memory. ?????? Damn I forgot the rest.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thanks for the good laugh!
BigTonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
So very funny! Sounds like my everyday life. Sorry to tell you but it only gets worse.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSherwin
This could happen to any of us…
“$5.37!” is what the kid behind the counter at McDonald’s told me.

I dug into my pocket and pulled out some lint and two dimes and something that used to be a Lifesaver. Having already handed the kid a five-spot, I started to head back out to the truck to grab some change when the kid with the Elmo hairdo said the worst thing anyone has ever said to me, “It’s OK. I’ll just give you the senior citizen discount.”
I turned to see who he was talking to and then heard the sound of change hitting the counter in front of me.

“Only $4.68,” he said cheerfully.

I stood there stupefied. I am 56, not even 60 yet! A mere child! Senior citizen?
I took my food and walked out to the truck wondering what was wrong with Elmo. Was he blind? As I sat in the truck, my blood began to boil. Old? Me?
I’ll show him, I thought. I opened the door and headed back inside. I strode to the counter, and there he was waiting with a smile.

Before I could say a word, he held up something and jingled it in front of me, like I could be that easily distracted! What am I now? A toddler?
“Dude! Can’t get too far without your car keys, eh?”
I stared with utter disdain at the keys. I began to rationalize in my mind, “Leaving keys behind hardly makes a man elderly! It could happen to anyone!”
I turned and headed back to the truck. I slipped the key into the ignition, but it wouldn’t turn. What now? I checked my keys and tried another. Still nothing.

That’s when I noticed the purple beads hanging from the rear-view mirror. Then, a few other objects came into focus on the seat in the back. Happy Meal toys were spread all over the floorboard. A partially eaten doughnut rested on the dashboard.
Faster than you can say, “Ginkgo biloba,” I flew out of that alien vehicle.
Moments later I was speeding out of the parking lot, relieved to finally be leaving this nightmarish stop in my life.

That is when I felt it, deep in the bowels of my stomach: hunger! My stomach growled and churned, and I reached to grab my coffee, only it was nowhere to be found.
I swung the truck around, gathered my courage, and strode back into the restaurant one final time. There Elmo stood, draped in youth and black nail polish. All I could think was, “What is the world coming to?”

All I could say was, “Did I leave my food and drink in here?” At this point I was ready to ask a Boy Scout to help me back to my vehicle, and then go straight home and apply for Social Assistance benefits.
Elmo had no clue. I walked back out to the truck, and suddenly a young lad came up and tugged on my jeans to get my attention. He was holding up a drink and a bag. His mother explained, “I think you left this in my truck by mistake.”

I took the food and drink from the little boy and sheepishly apologized.
She offered these kind words: “It’s OK. My grandfather does stuff like this all the time.”
All of this is to explain how I got a ticket doing 85 in a 40. Yes, I was racing some punk kid in a Prius. And no, I told the officer, I’m not too old to be driving this fast.

As I walked in the front door, my wife met me halfway down the hall. I handed her a bag of cold food and a $300 speeding ticket. I promptly sat in my rocking chair and covered up my legs with a blankey.

The good news was I had successfully found my way home.
Thanks!

I needed that. It sounds TOO familiar!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #13

what makes me feel Old is when i take my 9 year old Granddaughter to lunch and when we get up to go she hurrys over to take my arm and help me up. i don't say a thing, i love it, and hope she will take care of me whern i do need it, i'm 68
Old 12-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Ken,
I sit here at 63 thinking at your young age you have a long way to go.I laughed thru the whole thing.The bad thing about it is everything you said is so true.What I tell people is that old age is not for sissies.Take care and I really liked the story

papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote