Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:50 PM   #1

Speeding

A friend was running late for work (night shift) about 40 miles away from his home. A state trooper spotted him while driving the opposite direction. My friend watched in the rear view mirror and saw the trooper make a U-turn and turn on his red lights+siren. Friend just pulled to the side of the highway and waited until the trooper caught up and stopped behind him.
The trooper approached friends open window and asked "Sir, do you know how fast you were driving?"(3 mile long straight-away)

Friend replied, "Yes I do, you don't think I drive like this all the time do you?"

The trooper was so surprised he didn't even give a warning ticket, just said "Well, slow down" returned to his squad car and drove away.

A different story.
I have 2 cousins in the state patrol. One is a practical joker; one time he was listening to his CB radio when a woman asked for a "smoky report". Her question was answered with "haven't seen one for at least 10 miles". This happened just as cousin was approaching an on-ramp to an interstate, he spotted the speeding car on the interstate and sneaked up behind the woman a few miles later- just as she repeated her question.
He keyed the mike and replied "I see one now, look in your rear-view mirror". He said the woman nearly wrecked when he turned on the red-lights. She was shaking so badly when he arrived at her window he just said " have a nice day" and sent her on her way.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2017, 10:10 PM   #2

Son and I were road tripping when he was about 10 yrs old......going form CA to WY to visit grandparents

About 30 miles from my parents home we were sickling along about 10 miles OVER the speed limit. 2 lane hwy out in the wide open spaces. Crested a slight rise just as Hwy Patrol did going opposite direction. Show his lights come on just as he disappeared below the rise.

Slowed down and pulled over on shoulder.
Son ask me WHY and I told him the Hwy Patrol would be coming back SOON.
Just then the HWY Patrol came flying by..........had to turn around and come back.

Walked up to window and said " Dang, didn't expect that! Where you headed?"
"To HIS grandparents place on east side of Casper"

"Been a while?"......"yes sir, about 4 years since last time"
"Well when you just get into town limits take a Right on WY BLVD. It will take you all the way over to eastside w/o having to go thru town. Enjoy your visit-----
Oh by the way SLOW DOWN!"

Son just cracked up laughing and couldn't wait to tell PaPa

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:47 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Person I know was running late for work so he hammered down, Trusted his radar detector to protect him. He's doing about 70 or so in the 55 zone when suddenly the detector goes off FULL BLAST, strong radar signal where a few seconds ago there was nothing.. he looks in his rear view and there it is a State Police car, lights on accelerating hard on the entrance ramp (There is a steel reinforced concrete wall that blocks radar signals between the ramp and the freeway, Troopers know how to take advantage of it).. So he backs it off and prepares.. Troopers flew past him.. Taxi with a wired on license plate in the next lane (Violation)..
FInally he gets it back up to 70 + and.

Same story, Second verse

He driver the rest of the way to work at 55,, Figured they were running out of taxis.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #4

I got stopped once by a Colorado trooper while going 75 in 60 zone. She asked me if I knew how fast I was going. I told her no but I was just keeping up with the traffic. She took my Id an went back to her car. I was trying to figure out how much the ticket was going to be and how many points I had just "earned". When she returned she gave me my papers back and said "only a warning today and sir just so you know the traffic was trying to keep up with you, so please slow down and give the other drivers a break"
momdoc
Old 02-23-2017, 08:31 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Good response from her, momdoc as I'm sure they've heard them all

I got more tickets when I used my detectors so I got rid them !
Old 02-23-2017, 09:30 AM   #6

I never get out of them, tried talking, tried not talking.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:57 PM   #7

A few years ago coming home from a wedding in Denver, driving US 36 in Eastern Colorado, a pretty open, empty highway, doing about 30 mph over the limit, when I noticed I was really gaining on a car about a mile ahead of me, slowed down to 75, to finish the drive into Kansas , about 2 miles later as I passed a road coming out of a hill to my right I could see a County Mountie coming down thru the cut, I just pulled over immediately. He barely got his lights on and on the road, just gave me a warning, but I was sure glad I slowed down a couple of miles back!
Old 04-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #8

I didn't speed but had a license plate lights out. Saw him whiz by then few seconds later he turned around. Caught up pretty fast. I rolled down the window to greet the officer. He asked me what was I up to around 2 am in the morning. I told him I am a designated driver for two of my drunk friends. So he had me step out and do sobriety test and I passed. After having conversations and I was a out to enter back into my car, my buddy said he just asked something. I looked at the officer in blinding lights and couldn't understand him. I said sorry sir, I am deaf. what was that again? His face was priceless. He walked right up and asked me, how were you able to talk to me? I said sir, if I had a beer or two, you wouldn't be able to talk to me but screaming at me. He laughed and let me go with a warning, "just get the new bulbs in buddy"
Old 04-26-2017, 04:21 PM   #9

When I was a young man back in the '70s I had a '69 Z-28 Camaro that I had, er, 'souped up' (motor and suspension). Late one night I was headed home in San Diego with zero traffic on the freeway transitioning from one freeway to another.

Decided to 'push her' a little and did the transition at 90+ mph and shut back down once on the second freeway. Little did I know, a CHP unit with a pair of officer's watched me and lit up their lights to pull me over.

Once pulled over, officer #1 stated "we wouldn't have caught you if you didn't slow down -- but the unit a couple mile up the road would've...

Never did get a ticket or warning (other than verbal); they were more interested in what I had done to the car to make it handle as well as it did. We stood on the side of the road talking cars for awhile before they sent me on my way.
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:46 PM   #10

New digital sign on I10 between Tucson and Phoenix: It's the temperature not the speed limit...
Old 04-27-2017, 07:46 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Back when the national speed limit was changing back from 55 to 65 on most interstates I was driving mother in law (MIL) back to the airport to catch her plane home. On most of I-77 the speed limit signs still said 55, but everyone knew it would soon be 65. The law was however whatever the sign said.

A State trooper pulled me over and asked me to step out of the car. He asked me how fast was I going. I said about 65. He said 68 to be exact. He then asked me what my hurry was. I pointed to MIL in back seat and told him I was taking my MIL back to the airport to go home, so you can understand my hurry! We both had a hearty laugh and I got a warning ticket.

DW and MIL did not laugh as much.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:07 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Another similar true story comes to mind. Years ago, DW and I were running late. On a clear country road I passed the car ahead crossing a double yellow line. Sure enough, the car behind me a was an unmarked patrol car.

His lights immediately came on and I pulled over. He told me to get out of the car and then told me I had just crossed a double line while passing. I said "you and my wife agree on one thing"

A laugh and a warning and we were on our way.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:33 AM   #13

Sitting anxiously at a stop-lighted intersection at five minutes to midnight in my hot-engined 1957 Chev convertible, watching for the main lights at an Open Pantries convenience store three blocks away. Needed dog food.
Lights started to change on N Second boulevard. Saw what I thought was a taxi coming north out of Loves Park, IL. Got the green light, put the foot to the floor while in first gear.
Oh, Oh, cop lights on THAT taxi!! Immediately slowed down & stopped. Cops (2) came flying around the corner and up behind me. Got out and came up to my car and asked how fast was I going. I said 35 (the speed limit). He said I was squealing the tires. I said No, I was way past that. I was smoking the tires!! But I was doing 35--from a dead stop. He said Are you sure? My reply was I didn't have a speedometer hooked up yet to my four speed.
Now, I'm in the back seat of the squad while they are checking local, county, and state for laws regarding no speedometer. No luck on their end. And they said my takeoff & slowdown was so quick they couldn't get the radar gun on me. Just then the Open Pantries street sign went out. So I said, in disgust, why don't you get me for no license plate light? (dumb me).
They did---warning & had to get a non-rotted one.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:40 PM   #14

My wife was driving in the fast lane on I80 in the San Francisco area in her new black Monte Carlo SS with a NASCAR sticker in the back window. Yes she was over the limit and when she got pulled over the CHP officer asked if she seen him in the rear view mirror. She said yes I did. When asked why she was speeding she replied I was trying to get out of your way but the people to my right were going too fast for me to move over.

He just looked at her for a while thinking about that and then just said your are right... have a nice day. I would not have been so lucky!