Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Stella Awards!

THE STELLA AWARDS

It's time again for the annual 'Stella Awards'!
For those unfamiliar with these awards, they are named after 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled hot coffee on herself and successfully sued the McDonald's in New Mexico, where she purchased coffee. You remember, she took the
lid off the coffee and put it between her knees while she was driving.
Who would ever think one could get burned doing that, right?

That's right; these are awards for the most outlandish lawsuits and verdictsin the US. You know, the kinds of cases that make you scratch your head.

So keep your head scratcher handy.

Here are the Stellas for year -- 2012:

* SEVENTH PLACE *

Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas was awarded $80,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The store owners were understandably surprised by the verdict, considering the running toddler was her own son!

Start scratching!

* SIXTH PLACE *

Carl Truman, 19, of Los Angeles , California won $74,000 plus medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord.
Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.

Scratch some more...

* FIFTH PLACE *

Terrence Dickson, of Bristol , Pennsylvania , who was leaving a house he had just burglarized by way of the garage. Unfortunately for Dickson, the automatic garage door opener malfunctioned and he could not get the garage door to open. Worse, he couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the garage to the house locked when Dickson pulled it shut. Forced to sit for eight, count 'em, EIGHT days
and survive on a case of Pepsi and a large bag of dry dog food, he sued the homeowner's insurance company claiming undue mental anguish.
Amazingly, the jury said the insurance company must pay Dickson $500,000 for his anguish. We should all have this kind of anguish!

Keep scratching your head. There are more...

Double hand scratching after this one..

* FOURTH PLACE *

Jerry Williams, of Little Rock, Arkansas, garnered 4th Place in the
Stella's when he was awarded $14,500 plus medical expenses after being bitten on the butt by his next door neighbor's beagle - even though the beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard.
Williams did not get as much as he asked for because the jury believed the beagle might have been provoked at the time of the butt bite because Williams had climbed over the fence into the yard and repeatedly shot the dog with a pellet gun.

Pick a new spot to scratch, you're getting a bald spot..

* THIRD PLACE *

Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania because a jury ordered a Philadelphia restaurant to pay her $113,500 after she slipped on a spilled soft drink and broke her tailbone. The reason the soft drink was on the floor: Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

Only two more so ease up on the scratching...

*SECOND PLACE*

Kara Walton, of Claymont , Delaware sued the owner of a night club in a nearby city because she fell from the bathroom window to the floor, knocking out her two front teeth. Even though Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the ladies room window to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge, the jury said the night club had to pay her $12,000...oh yeah, plus dental expenses. Go figure.

Ok. Here we go!!

* FIRST PLACE *

This year's runaway First Place Stella Award winner was:
Mrs. Merv Grazinski, of Oklahoma City , Oklahoma , who purchased new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On her first trip home, from an OU football game, having driven on to the freeway, she set the cruise control at 70 mphand calmly left the driver's seat to go to the back of the Winnebago to make herself a sandwich. Not surprisingly, the motor home left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Also not surprisingly, Mrs. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not putting in the owner's manual that
she couldn't actually leave the driver's seat while the cruise control was set. The Oklahoma jury awarded her, are you sitting down?

$1,750,000 PLUS a new motor home. Winnebago actually changed their manuals as a result of this suit, just in case Mrs. Grazinski has any relatives who might also buy a motor home.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #2

*2013 Darwin Awards*

*2013 Darwin Awards*

okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It makes me want to bang my head on a wall rather than scratch it! Too many of these things actually happen!

Winnie has been debunking the cruise control story for a long time and even have a link on the bottom of this page on their web site regarding it:

Contact

... which is good IMO. Glad to know that at least our courts didn't do THIS one... and that nobody is really dumb enough to try it!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I keep seeing the Winnabago Autopilot story, been around for years, Wendy (Darwin of Darwin Awards. Homo sapiens decline; Neo Sapiens rise! February 2013) has researched it and she is very good at that kind of research.

NO police report of the accident anywhere Wendy can find and...
Winnabago has no record of it either, So that one is 100% urban myth.

Another I keep seeing is the jet propelled chevy Darwin Award, Seems Mr, Idiot hooked a couple of JATO (Jet Assist Take off) packs to his chevy and rocketed into the side of a mountain. Likewise, NO evidence exists to suggest this story is true, 100% urban myth.

I do like reading things like the Stella Awards (The real award site is run by a Randy Cassingham by the way, who also hangs electrons at thisistrue.com) and Darwin Awards (Wendy Northcutt if I've spelled it right) but please folks.. DO Check 'em out and make sure you are not posting urban myths like those two.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #5

snopes.com: Urban Legends Reference Pages

is a good site for exposing urban myths and it says most of these listed are urban myths. But, they could be wrong. After all you can't believe everything you see on the internet.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well Maybe

Quote:
After all you can't believe everything you see on the internet.
Actually I read on the net. that's not true.

Thanks for the debunking of these myths. They run rampid on the internet.

I also think the insurance company ad doing a spoof on that very thing was cleaver.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can tell you there are enough true and verified Stella Awards to fill a book .. and I think they do.

Try this URL The True Stella Awards: Exposing Lawsuit Abuse with TRUE Cases For true ones and for some of the ones in the O/P you can read what Randy's crew has to say here. (Same site, different page) http://http://www.stellaawards.com/bogus.html

The lead story on the BOGUS page is the woman tripping over her toddler in the O/P's post.

Another apparent myth.. but the story is good, so I'll present it AS A MYTH.

Man and girl break up so to drown his sorrow he buys a six pack and climbs a tower of power (one of those big super high tension metal towers the power companies like to erect,, Featured in a movie which I think was called OHMS or RESISTANCe, forget which)

Well, after a few cans he needs to ... relive him self, and the nearest bush is... at the base of the tower.. So he looks about and seeing nobody.. Takes care of business...

His stream is strong and true and bullseyes one of the wires.

You can figure out the rest.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #8
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
WHAT? You mean everything on the Internet isn't true?

I guess I'm going to have to research the heck out of everything I post from now on so I share the truth. LOL

Either that or I give my informant hell and tell him to smarten up.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #9

tomtall,

I, too, read on the internet. But, I have seen videos that might not have been true also.

No results found for rampid:

Did you mean rampant?
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes

Quote:
Did you mean rampant?
Yes, I stand corrected. Thanks.

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #11

Ya, I don't believe what I see of read on the internet until I see it on Television. Then it must be true for sure.