Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:39 AM   #29
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
Ok newbee, wantabee, I'm sure it made the Jap people laugh.... Truth is you won't see many 20 year old Jap bikes on the road but there are thousands and thousands of 20+ year old Harley s....
I just sold a 1980 Yamaha Maxim 650 to a buddy. I bought it new, and it never stopped running. I rode it over to the new owner, and he rode it to work the next day.

How many 30 year old Harley's have never spent a day in the shop and still run fine?

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #30
Originally Posted by gray ghost View Post
I had a 1987 Yamaha Venture with over 117K that I traded off this year. Just about every brand out there has some good bikes that will last a long time with the right care and maintenance. And all brands get ragged on by somebody at one time or another. I know this from all the times I have come back to my bike to find rice under it, even when I was careful to drain all the rice out before I left it.
Good one. I never put anyone's bike down because I feel as long as you are riding it's all good and your choice of bike is none of my business.
In fact, I have a 1400 Susuki Intruder chopped sitting in my garage that I built for my brother who passed away in May.

I had just made a statement to the original poster that I see a lot more old Harleys than any other type of bike. I'm getting on mine now to go enjoy this beautiful 80* SW Fl. day!

Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:42 PM   #31
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I want to have the hearing aid concession at a Harley deaerlship.
1995 Roadtrek 19 Versatile
Dodge 318
1975 GMC Eleganza II
bsinmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #32
Not in my book. If you need a tow truck to help you pick it up when you've laid it down, it's a two-wheel car, not a motorcycle. My personal limit is about 380 pounds.

After a spell as a development and test engineer at Norton, I don't have any patience with anything heavier than the Commando ( maybe 380 lb ready to roll). I once weighed the prototype while sitting on it and it was about 450#. At the time I was about 140 (don't I wish now!). I think the production version was a bit heavier. With a 750 engine at about 70 HP, that thing was quick enough for me!

I did about 20,000 miles of test riding on that bird in about 8 months, running 500 miles a day in 8 hours out on the road and a series of tests on a track at 100 mph for 10 hours a day.

Didn't pay worth a damn, but it was good fun. That's why I emigrated to work for Boeing, and I'm still in western Washington!

Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote