Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to azbaroness
The $100 Lesson

It was a dark and stormy night - well at least dark and night andwe had taken our four-legged friends out for the last run of the evening! Upon returning the coach the ladies, try as they may - were unable to open the door to the coach. So, they waited for the dudes to arrive thinking that if nothing else, brute strength would make the door magically open as it had done the night before! But alas, no luck. So, there we were at 10:30 at night with a locked coach door, no keys, no phone, no $$, no nothing - with two dogs whinning because they were cold and they wanted their blankies (me too)!

Fortunately, there was a public phone in front of the (locked) club house and after several unsuccessful attempts to contact Good Sam's emergency roadside assistance (they don't give out their emergency number to 411 dso the operator can't connect you because it costs them $20 when someone calls in) - I called two locksmiths - one didn't have an agent in my area and the other wouldn't help me because I couldn't give him the number that I was calling from for him to verify who I was and send help! So then, I called the non emergency police number (didn't they have a good laugh at our expense) and they were nice enough to verify who I was when I gave them the license plate number and put me in contact with a wrecking company who sent a guy out with an unlock kit.

But, unlock kits aren't really designed to open motor home type locks (at least this one wasn't). Fortunately the locksmith was determined not to be outwitted and found a window that he could open, push open the screen and climb in so he could open the door and let us in - around midnight. The dogs went right for the covers and after we settled down from our adventure so did we.

Today we can laugh about it...last night with the prospect of sleeping in the laundry room it wasn't so funny.

Lessons learned - when you have a poorly designed lock that locks itself - take a key with you (or have a hide-a-key) when you walk the dogs.

AZ Baroness
Almost stranded in Oklahoma City

(If this is a dup post I apologize - it didn't look like the first one posted)

Recession-proof vacation ideas. Find free things to do in the U.S.
azbaroness is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I am going to go tomorrow and put a spare key in one of those thingy-ma-jiggies under the coach. Thanks for the lesson on your dollars. Sorry for your plight, but again, thanks!
Old 05-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Yep, I never leave the coach without a door key. I wear it on one of those curly expandable bracelets - it's the first thing I put on in the morning & the last thing I take off at night.

Unlike our previous 5-r, where, if locked out, we could jimmy the basement storage door lock & climb inside through the laundry chute (well, someone small could!), when locked out of the MH, it's pretty difficult to get inside. A lesson it only takes once to learn.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:40 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
First thing I did to our motorhome after bringing it home from dealer was to hide an extra door key in container on the outside of the coach, and stash extra set of keys for ignition and everything else inside the coach. Thankfully, I have never had to use either of the key sets.

Dieselclacker
Old 05-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you choose to do the Hide-a-key ...do not rely on the magnet strength alone to keep it in-place. Jolting & jarring will make it fall off. Instead, Use a zip tie or bale wire to secure it to the frame.

FYI...
It should be pointed out that any nearby coach of same manufacture might have the same key as your lockset. The deadbolt key is unique; but many mfgr's use the identical key for the quick lock, even spanning several year's model. Same goes for the basement keys and driver's door (if so equipped).
Old 05-14-2009, 10:49 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I first got my new motor home, I was backing it into its parking place. Since there was a signicant drop off and I was not familiar with the new motor home, I got out to look at my approach. The wind closed the door and I had inadvertently pushed the lower lock and ,yes, the extra set of keys was still in the motor home. Just to keep in interesting, the engine was still running.

Since I was home, I could call a locksmith. Before he left, I had him make a spare entry key that went into a hide-a-key.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oh how many times I have exited and pushed the little lever down, locking the door. After the first, second, or third time I always keep my door keys in my pocket, even if it is my lounge clothes. The ignition key hangs from the tv antenna knob. Or, the DW stays inside. That is how I got back in the first(3) times. I've been thinking of bungee cording that little lever in the up position so my big fingers can accidently lock it when I exit. I do need one of thos magnetic boxes.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In your propane bay (Which can not be locked) put in what is called a realtor's box

You can get one at any locksmith. Don't forget the combination, I had to run through a good half dozen before I got to the one I'd used
Old 05-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #9

I put a key to the storage bins in the propane compartment .Then I hid a key to the door in one of the locked bins.That way if someone finds the first key and trys it in the door it won't work.All I have to do is remember which bin I hid the key in.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #10
doc

Appalachian Campers
bump (tired of "unbelieveable")
doc is offline   Reply With Quote