Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
The adventure continues..''skinnum joe's''

After crossing the border we realized that we had no Canadian money and that we were getting a little low on gas.
“Let’s stop at the next place we see and get some of our money changed and maybe we can get some gas and get the back bumper of the Tracker repaired”.
“I seen a sign that said “Skinnum Joes” up ahead, maybe we could stop there and get some gas”.
There was a sign written in crayon on the front of the gas pump that said
“EXCHANGE RATE 124, 11/14 (plus tax) AMERICAN”
I eased up to the pump.
A guy in coveralls walked up the window on the van.
“How much gas you need pal”?
“Give me 15 gallons please and do you exchange American money”?
“We sell gas by the liter”
“How many liters to the gallon”
“Oh, about 3 and 23/42nds, give or take a little”
“Sooooo, how much do I need for 15 gallons”?
“I ain’t sure. We can figure that out later”.
He stuck the nozzle in the gas filler and pressed the lever. Now it should be understood that some of these pumps up in Canada are the old mechanical type pump that still work on the “rotating number” system and this was one of those pumps. As he squeezed the lever the pump started running and the longer he held the lever the faster the numbers went. At somewhere between three and five gallons the numbers became a blur and the pump started to shake violently.
“Guess I need a re-balance on the numbers again”.
“I’ll go in and get some money changed over into Canadian dollars so I can pay for the gas”.
To be sure I would get some small bill in Canadian money I gave the guy behind the counter four one hundreds, five twenties, two fifties, three tens, two fives, three ones and a hand full of change. The guy behind the counter smiled at me and said that since I was getting a rather large amount changed that Skinnum Joe would split the “exchange tax” so I would save money.
“That will be fifty four dollars and seventy cents pal”.
“Soooo, how many gallons did I get”?
“Well, if you take the liters and multiply them by three and eleven twenty-fourths and then you divide that by the number of gallons you wanted and then you divide that by the exchange rate of one twenty four plus a little and deduct the exchange tax from that you will see how much this is in American money and you will find I gave you a real bargain on the gas because you are our first customer of the day”.
I thanked Skinnum Joe and walked back to the coach.
“Ask him if he can fix the bumper on the Tracker”.
“He don’t fix bumpers, he just sells gas and fixes flats. We can get it fixed later”.

We headed north. The adventure continues ……
Seajay the sailor man ..................

Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I enjoyed your story just hope not too many people think we Canadians are all like this.

Bob & Deb in a 1991 Southwind
being pushed by a 1976 MG Midget
Life is good
Bob N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Let me say this very loud right now ....... CANADIAN FOLKS ARE SOME OF THE NICEST FOLKS I HAVE EVER MET .. This is the truth as I know it and I have traveled most of Canada and met many wonderful people up there. If I happen to tease our Canadian brothers and sisters about something ..... it is just that TEASING..
I have driven the Alaska Highway a couple of times and I have met many Canadians along the way. They are always willing to share a campfire or a beer or a good story over supper cooked over an open fire on the side of the road where we boondock three nights out of four. On our way to Nova Scotia I met a Canadian that insisted that we ''swop T shirts''.. they were eating clams and drinking beer and they insisted that I share in the bounty and the feast. We sat and talked and drank and ate and made friends with them and they insisted that when we got to Peggies Cove that they would buy our dinner. We swopped T shirts and made friends and had fun in Canada ...
All is ''fun guys'' ..... We love our Canadian brothers and sisters ....
Seajay the sailor man ...
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just as I thought. The sequels are never as good as the original.

I'm joking of course and I do enjoy reading about your adventures.
Jim with Judy
08 38' Bounder DP
Toads: 08 Jeep Wrangler Sport; 11 Chevy Malibu
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote