RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:10 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Astronomy Professor

True story:

We had an overnight stay at a popular camp ground that has a lot of kids with school being out.

I've been known to have given a few shall we say "white lies" at times joking with others.

Well six of us are sitting outside enjoying a beautiful night sky, I happen to have a extremely strong green laser pointer that is used in astronomy. Us three guys are playing with this thing pointing is across the lake, the valley and into the sky..... yes alcohol is involved.

I'm holding the pointer and a gentleman appears out of no where. He asked what in the world are you doing with that pointer? I've never seen one so strong; "I'm impressed". I told him we were looking at stars, planets, etc. He them asked the question; "do you know about these things"? Well not knowing the guy and with a little alcohol talking I replied; "why yes, I'm an Astronomy Professor at USC". To my surprise (buddies laughing in the back ground) he simply turns and walks away.... or so I thought.

About 10 minutes later he shows up with about 20 kids and their families! He says; "I hope you don't mind but I thought our church group would find this very interesting, do you mind"? Now my friends are ROFL!!

I shine the pointer at a star and say you see that, they all are like Yea! Well that's a star, you see that big thing right there? That's the moon.

In very short order I explain I had been kidding but you left to quick to explain, I'm not an Astronomy Professor, heck I know almost nothing about our solar system.

Everyone is now having a laugh at my expense (which was well deserved) but we all sat out together and enjoyed the night sky, all the kids loved playing with the pointer.

**we do not point at aircraft, two of our guys are commercial aircraft pilots and one a private pilot.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2018, 06:51 AM   #2

I, too, have a couple of green laser pointers. I certified them for use on the International Space Station. The astronauts use them to point outside the station at other parts of the station, especially if there is a problem, like a micro-meteoroid impact point. A green laser pointer will show up in video much better than a red one will.

As a side note, we have bobcats on our property. They chase the green dot just as vigorously as a house cat.

Rob

Old 09-11-2018, 04:06 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank goodness you didnít point out Uranus!!
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:05 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinboy View Post
Thank goodness you didnít point out Uranus!!
good reply

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote