Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-27-2005, 05:41 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How about that "Rose Oil" for your hair, red in color and did great on our ducktails. Could have been used for engine oil.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2005, 09:04 AM   #16

Quote: for those who are younger than us, the greasy kid stuff was Brylcream. All of us used it. end quote

I always thought Brylcream was what replaced the greasy kid stuff. Remember the little dab'll do ya'? That other stuff I remember might have been Rose Hair Oil. Couldn't get anyone to understand using Vitalis would not make your hair fall out (alcohol was bad for the hair, remember)
Also have to remember "there's something about an Aqua Velva Man". Always wanted to be him, surrounded by lovelies.
Ken

2006 Mobile Scout 31 BWKS
53 Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:22 AM   #17

How about "Odell Hair Trainer"? My mom used to put it on my hair and comb it when I was a mere wisp of a lad. Used to make my hair hard as plastic. I couldn't understand why she continued to use it on me everyday before I left for grade school, I figured that my hair had to be "trained" after all the uses!

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:37 AM   #18

Wildroot Cream Oil was one of the Hair tonics of the time Adds stated that it was non-acholic, and made of lanolin. How about the Moon hubcaps.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:02 PM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by plntmgr:
for those who are younger than us, the greasy kid stuff was Brylcream. All of us used it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm 27 but my Mom (62 this year) highly recommended that stuff to me. Mom and her four sisters all swore it was the secret to their "Breck" type hair. Used it until I couldn't find it anymore (about 13/14ish) and would faithfully use it again if I could find it.

All 5 Uncles I got to know (1 passed on before me), Grandpa and my Great Uncles love Old Spice and those still alive use it to this day. I've started buying some for my son. =) Yes, he is 3 but it's a monkey-see-monkey-do thing I'd prefer him to use "boy" products for. LOL

CJsMonnie
CJsMonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 07:03 PM   #20

Captain Bud, you mentioned air raid wardens-a friend of my dad's was one and I still have his helmet. BTW, why did we have air raid wardens and blackouts in WWII? There was no way the Germans could have reached the U.S. East coast nor could the Japanese reach our West coast. We ourselves could barely get to the "heartland" from either coast. Was there a real reason for blackouts or was it an attempt to make the folks at home feel like they too were part of the war effort? Ken, '04 DSDP...
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 07:35 AM   #21

Oh, Ken - don't want to spoil your thoughts, but the Japanese DID reach the West Coast of California!!! If they had gotten a foothold here, the heartland would have been in real danger! Blackouts here were designed to foil any incoming aircraft. No lights - no place to land or drop bombs!!! Don't know about other folks, but my family felt they were part of the war effort - only too happy to give up sugar and butter and take bacon fat to the butcher for our "guys". As a little kid I remember making an oilcloth purse for my Mom to hold ration slips and tokens. I remember finding out my favorite cousin was on the Arizona and knowing I'd never see him again.
So... you betcha we had blackout curtains and saved bacon grease!
Sallys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 04:59 PM   #22

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but the Japanese DID reach the West Coast of California!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
California... and as i also recall some balloons carrying bombs dropped in Oregon.

Every Friday at noon in my mid-CAlif town, the sirens rang out in our neighborhood for practice. Once or twice a year we practiced evacuating the grade school and dashing home.
No more sirens now.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 03:15 PM   #23

I didn't have enough hair in the 50,s to use greasy kid stuff, I used butch stick. I remember thinking the barber was gonna rip my forhead every time he put it on. seemed like he had to start at my eyebrows and work up. He leaned into it too! Scotty.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:39 AM   #24

No one has mentioned the following:
Hair- Duck tails, flatop with fenders.
Dress - White t-shirt with the sleeves rolled up, bluejeans with the cuffs rolled up, white sox, black pointed toe shoes with horse shoe taps. I was a bit of a juvenile delinquent (now there's a term I bet you haven't heard in a while) and we used to put Greenie Stickum Caps on our horse shoe taps and pop the caps in the school hall. I always wondered why they outlawed wearing taps on you shoes in school.

Cheap entertainment: Laying on the lawn on a blanket late in the evening, grocery sack full of popcorn, jug of A&W root beer looking up into the stars to see if you could watch a satelite travel from horizon-to-horizon.

Just a few of my memories triggered by this thread.

WW FS2300
twinbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 06:26 PM   #25

Why is it when I say "icebox" , no one under 40 seems to understand that I mean "refigerator?". Brylcream was good, but what about "Rose hair tonic", man that stuff smelled good and tingled the scalp. Thought about drinking it many times.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland