Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:30 PM   #1

Fender Skirts

What a great blast from the past! I haven't thought about "fender skirts" in years. When I was a kid, I considered it such a funny term. Made me think of a car in a dress.

Thinking about "fender skirts" started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice.

Like "curb feelers" and "steering knobs." Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first. Any kids will probably have to find some elderly person over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember "Continental kits?" They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.

When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes?" At some point "parking brake" became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with "emergency brake."

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the "foot feed."

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you could ride the "running board" up to the house?

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore --

"Store-bought." Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days. But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy.

"Coast to coast" is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing. Now we take the term "worldwide" for granted. This floors me.

On a smaller scale, "wall-to-wall" was once a magical term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure!

When's the last time you heard the quaint phrase "in a family way?" It's hard to imagine that the word "pregnant" was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company. So we had all that talk about stork visits and "being in a family way" or simply "expecting."

Apparently "brassiere" is a word no longer in usage. I said it the other day and my daughter cracked up. I guess it's just "bra" now. "Unmentionables" probably wouldn't be understood at all.

It's hard to recall that this word was once said in a whisper --"divorce." And no one is called a "divorcee" anymore. Certainly not a "gay divorcee." Come to think of it, "confirmed bachelors" and "career girls" are long gone, too.

I always loved going to the "picture show," but I considered "movie" an affectation.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure-'60s word I came across the other day -- "rat fink." Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

Here's a word I miss -- "percolator." That was just a fun word to say. And what was it replaced with? "Coffee maker." How dull. Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro. Words like "DynaFlow" and "ElectraLuxe." Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with "SpectraVision!"

Food for thought -- Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what castor oil cured, because I never hear mothers threatening their kids with castor oil anymore.

Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves me most -- "supper." Now everybody says "dinner." Save a great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts.

Someone sent this to me, and I thought some of us of a "certain age" would remember most of these!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2005, 03:30 PM   #2

Fender Skirts

What a great blast from the past! I haven't thought about "fender skirts" in years. When I was a kid, I considered it such a funny term. Made me think of a car in a dress.

Thinking about "fender skirts" started me thinking about other words that quietly disappear from our language with hardly a notice.

Like "curb feelers" and "steering knobs." Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction first. Any kids will probably have to find some elderly person over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember "Continental kits?" They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.

When did we quit calling them "emergency brakes?" At some point "parking brake" became the proper term. But I miss the hint of drama that went with "emergency brake."

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone who would call the accelerator the "foot feed."

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you could ride the "running board" up to the house?

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore --

"Store-bought." Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days. But once it was bragging material to have a store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy.

"Coast to coast" is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement and now means almost nothing. Now we take the term "worldwide" for granted. This floors me.

On a smaller scale, "wall-to-wall" was once a magical term in our homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with, wow, wall-to-wall carpeting! Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting with hardwood floors. Go figure!

When's the last time you heard the quaint phrase "in a family way?" It's hard to imagine that the word "pregnant" was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for use in polite company. So we had all that talk about stork visits and "being in a family way" or simply "expecting."

Apparently "brassiere" is a word no longer in usage. I said it the other day and my daughter cracked up. I guess it's just "bra" now. "Unmentionables" probably wouldn't be understood at all.

It's hard to recall that this word was once said in a whisper --"divorce." And no one is called a "divorcee" anymore. Certainly not a "gay divorcee." Come to think of it, "confirmed bachelors" and "career girls" are long gone, too.

I always loved going to the "picture show," but I considered "movie" an affectation.

Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure-'60s word I came across the other day -- "rat fink." Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

Here's a word I miss -- "percolator." That was just a fun word to say. And what was it replaced with? "Coffee maker." How dull. Mr. Coffee, I blame you for this.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro. Words like "DynaFlow" and "ElectraLuxe." Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with "SpectraVision!"

Food for thought -- Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains of that anymore. Maybe that's what castor oil cured, because I never hear mothers threatening their kids with castor oil anymore.

Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list. The one that grieves me most -- "supper." Now everybody says "dinner." Save a great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss fender skirts.

Someone sent this to me, and I thought some of us of a "certain age" would remember most of these!!

Old 03-17-2005, 01:43 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How bout wide white walls? The kind you where had to lift to lift the wire keeper and swing it down to remove the fender shirt, pull the wheel, let the air out, lay it on top of the tire and refill to lock in place, several times to get it aliened right.

Can you remember hand signals, what directional lights?

When they came along the first ones fastened around the steering column with straps not unlike a radiator clamp and had a little wheel that rolled on the underside of the steering wheel to turn them off. No water squirted when you pulled back on the handle either.

And then there was tipping your hat when greeting a female, removing it (uncover was the term I think) in their presence or entering a building. Recently ate in a nice restaurant and counted six gentlemen (very loose) eating with their hats on, mostly sidewise or backwards.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 10:47 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
well,... if there are any 'pluses' to change as the decades go on,..
here it is:

no more 'greasy kid stuff' in my hair. Any time they took photos at school, or grandma came over for Sunday supper, or we went out to a fancy dinner, all the young boys in those days had mom rub in 'greasy kid stuff' into your hair to hold it neat. Never mind that haircuts in those days kept your hair a half inch long to begin with.

I haven't had mom rub that stuff in my hair in 3 or 4 decades now, and I don't think my little one has ever had in in his hair.

Does anyone still use 'greasy kid stuff'?
Does anyone still eat supper as versus dinner on Sunday?
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 12:43 PM   #5

Our foster son actually put "gel" on his hair to keep it where he wanted. And yes there is always supper on Sunday nights.

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 03:17 PM   #6

I still use the term "Supper" for the evening meal and "Dinner" is the noon meal..

When I was growing up..

"A square guy" was a high compliment meaning he was honest and dependable

"A queer sort of fellow" meant that he was a little odd and marched to a different drummer.. Today its considered a dirty slur..

"Hey man, thats so COOL" every generation has grown up thinking the word "cool" was from their age group... when actually it was first used to describe something as really nice or really neat (neat-o) back in the 1920's during the "Flapper" age..

Along with the phase "Give me some skin man" which was also from the 1920's..

When a person was happy about something they were considered to be "Gay"... not anymore...

It was shameful to sit down to a nice supper of fried chicken with all the trimmings and ask for a piece of the "Breast"..

OH HORRORS !! "Breast" was a dirty word that was never used in mixed company.. the proper word for it was ... May I have a piece of "White Meat" please..

I grew up with several "Mammys" looking after me as a baby and small child.. One was "White" (my grandmother) and two were "Black", which were the women who helped around the farm...
They both loved me and I them..

Oh how times and our language has changed over the years.. and not necessarily for the best...

Jeeeze,,, I can't believe I have lived this long.. from no such thing as television to something called a computer..

I didn't see a television until the late 1950's and the first computer I ever used was crammed into two large rooms at the college. We had to use "punch cards" in it..

From the "Trailways Bus" stopping along side the highway to pick up and drop off passengers to a rocket that put a man into space and on the moon..

Things sure have changed in my lifetime.. some for the good .. some for the worse..

John
Old 03-25-2005, 08:17 PM   #7

for those who are younger than us, the greasy kid stuff was Brylcream. All of us used it.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:37 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
alidldabadoya
before the greesy kid stuff was Vitalis, sat on the shelf beside dad's two bollets with the ships on them.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:49 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow, all the replies brings back some great memories. I was 5 yrs old when WW2 started and I still remember the Air Raid Wardens and the air raid drills all the rationing. Taking the used fats to a butcher to turn in for the war effort. I remember going to Newark, N.J. to celebrate VJ day. And everyone is right about getting in trouble and coming home and having to tell your parents, that was the worst. How about baking potatoes in a fire?? Rember you were told if you wore sneakers all the time you would get flat feet.
I was bought one bycycle as a kid and that was it. Iguess growing up in the city we were all Dead End kids, but we all turned out pretty well. Tomorrow is a Joyous day in my life, first of all it is Easter and I met my wife Ruth, 55 years ago..

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:51 AM   #10
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hey Mike,

I also wore old spice, but since I am only 45 I don't think I am your father,LOL !!

To Bud & Ruth Happy 55th. and many many more!!!
Old 03-26-2005, 11:25 AM   #11

My Mother always gave me Old Spice for Christmas. I never had the heart to tell her that I didn't use it. I have about 8 or 9 bottles of it stashed away in a cabinet. She died in 1988 at the age of 93.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:52 AM   #12

I started using "OLD SPICE" after shave when I was a kid in the Navy back in the 1950's and still use it today..

I also use the "OLD SPICE" brand of underarm deodorant..

One of my ex -wives gave me some of that disgusting stuff called "MUSK" or something like that.... hellsfire !! I could go for six months without a bath and smell better than that stuff..

She finally admitted that it really did stink like an un-washed body.. and I happily went back to my good old dependable "OLD SPICE" brand.

Old Spice deodorant and after shave lotion along with "BAY RUM" hair tonic from the barber shop are what a real man uses..
Women go absolutely crazy when they get a whiff of that combo..

You have to beat them off with a stick..

Oh,,, and if you don't remember "BAY RUM" from the barber shop.... you must have Alzheimer's disease

John
Old 03-26-2005, 05:37 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Harrelson:
Women go absolutely crazy when they get a whiff of that combo..

You have to beat them off with a stick.. John </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So that's been my problem. The old spice and not being able to beat them off with a stick. I'd have a lot more money in the bank if I had known.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:51 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Brylcream and barber shop Bay Rum, ....
i may never be as dapper as some of you fellers,
but at least i now remember what the name brands are if I want to restock up.

I still wear high-top canvas tennis shoes, its just that over the decades i've switched from dark blue to my current red colored canvas. (I guess you gotta just go a little wild once in a while.)

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland