Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
This just made me feel good

Shown below, is an actual letter that was sent to a bank by an 86 year old woman.
The bank manager thought it amusing enough to have it published in the New York Times.

Dear Sir:
I am writing to thank you for bouncing my check with which I endeavored to pay my plumber last month. By my calculations, three nanoseconds must have elapsed between his presenting the check and the arrival in my account of the funds needed to honor it. I refer, of course, to the automatic monthly deposit of my entire pension, an arrangement which, I admit, has been in place for only eight years. You are to be commended for seizing that brief window of opportunity, and also for debiting my account $30 by way of penalty for the inconvenience caused to your bank.
My thankfulness springs from the manner in which this incident has caused me to rethink my errant financial ways.. I noticed that whereas I personally answer your telephone calls and letters, but when I try to contact you, I am confronted by the impersonal, overcharging, pre-recorded, faceless entity which your bank has become. From now on, I, like you, choose only to deal with a flesh-and-blood person. My mortgage and loan repayments will therefore and hereafter no longer be automatic, but will arrive at your bank, by check, addressed personally and confidentially to an employee at your bank whom you must nominate. Be aware that it is an OFFENSE under the Postal Act for any other person to open such an envelope. Please find attached an Application Contract which I require your chosen employee to complete. I am sorry it runs to eight pages, but in order that I know as much about him or her as your bank knows about me, there is no alternative. Please note that all copies of his or her medical history must be countersigned by a Notary Public, and the mandatory details of his/her financial situation (income, debts, assets and liabilities) must be accompanied by documented proof. In due course, at MY convenience, I will issue your employee with a PIN number which he/she must quote in dealings with me. I regret that it cannot be shorter than 28 digits but, again, I have modeled it on the number of button presses required of me to access my account balance on your phone bank service. As they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Let me level the playing field even further.
When you call me, press buttons as follows:
#1. To make an appointment to see me
#2. To query a missing payment.
# 3. To transfer the call to my living room in case I am there.
#4 To transfer the call to my bedroom in case I am sleeping
#5. To transfer the call to my toilet in case I am attending to nature.
#6. To transfer the call to my mobile phone if I am not at home.
#7. To leave a message on my computer, a password to access my computer is required. Password will be communicated to you at a later date to that Authorized Contact mentioned earlier.
#8. To return to the main menu and to listen to options 1 through 7.
#9. To make a general complaint or inquiry. The contact will then be put on hold, pending the attention of my automated answering service.
#10. This is a second reminder to press* for English.
While this may, on occasion, involve a lengthy wait, uplifting music will play for the duration of the call. Regrettably, but again following your example, I must also levy an establishment fee to cover the setting up of this new arrangement.
May I wish you a happy, if ever so slightly less prosperous New Year?
Your Humble Client
And remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.
(from me, I really don't care if this is true or not, I just think it is great)

Don & Carol Croner, FMCA- F401447
2007 Monaco Diplomat PDQ 40
2007 Saturn Vue, US Gear Tow Brake
PizzaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Ford Super Duty Owner
I love it. Actually Chase screwed me, so i know exactly how she feels. In the early ninety's I had a kid in collage. I had always paid off my charge card in full every month. Because of some unusual collage expenses I found myself carrying over a balance of about $1300.00. I called Chase and asked if they would drop my interest rate. Up till now it did not matter because I paid it off every month. They refused. I called around and found one for 1/3 less. 15.9% verses 9.9% I sent them a preprinted check from the other card company. I guessed at the balance. I was $9.00 short. The next month, I mailed the check for $9.00 on the first. A couple of weeks later I got a bill for $39.00. It was a late charge for my final payment. For twenty years I had mailed the check on the first and was never late. I was livid. I told my other daughter (a paralegal) that I would never pay the bill. She said ,Dad they will destroy your credit. This is extortion, but they know you are powerless to do anything. I paid the $39.00, but they have made an enemy for life.

1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
Great letter.
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
After I got out of the Army I wednt to school on the GI Bill, Long story short they over payed the payment to me by .16.
I passed it off as a mistake on thier part-but I forgot the goverment don't make mistakes.
Anyhow after fighting with them tooth and toenail,(That was back when you dealt with a human).
They put a lean on my car for 57.00, and had it towed,another 136.00 payment.
Amazing how .16 can grow.
Don't pray for a blessing--Pray to be a blessing.
2006 Holiday Rambler Endavor 40 footer
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
Vintage RV Owners Club

I love that letter, and have for awhile...I see it's going around again!
It's actually a gag that's been going around the internet for years, but it sure sounds as if it's true- or should be!
It's the main claim to fame for the Australian that wrote the original version, Peter Wear...
Here's an explanatory link http://www.snopes.com/business/bank/takethat.a

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy Larry,
You think that's bad; I got hurt(self-employed) and had 9 major operations.
ONE of my hi-jacker cards was paid off by check, which was mailed on time, but was HELD UNTIL IT WAS LATE !!! The hi-jackers are still trying to collect $23K from me for their $35 late charge!!! That has been over 20 years ago..
I am so glad that lady wrote that letter(probably same co.) and hope she followed through.. Poor folks talk to your face; rich people hide behind electronics !!!!
Smooth roads & balmy breezes !!!!!!!!
butterbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
My son set up an automatic pay for his mortgage. The bank was late paying itself and charged a late fee.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
Commercial Member
Monaco Owners Club
It's only getting worse!!!! Glad to see the couple foreclose on Bank of America the other day... that was great!!!!! The couple paid cash for their house but BofA foreclosed on them and the judge said BofA had to pay the legal fees.... awesome!!!!
Message here... don't give in!!!!!
Bernie, Karen & Digbe http://www.RV-Insight.com
Full Timers - SD Tags - Today - North Central USA
2000 Monaco Windsor 38' Diesel Pusher w/250 Scoot
Downsizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You know... A lot of that is why I deal with a Credit Union.

GOOD letter though.

I'm reminded of the scariest thing in most major European tourist towns.

Little old American women in tennis shoes.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
My brother died a few weeks ago and I'm now stuck settling his estate. It seems he owed an electric company $43 in 1991 when he moved and didn't pay the final bill. They never sent him any notice but they did keep charging him interest and fines. They now have a $3,821 lean against his estate. Unbelievable

Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote