Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:48 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to cherokee_psh
Tire goes boom

True Story:

A few years ago, we started off on vacation to Douthat State Park. Pop-up properly hitched to Jeep..☑ tire pressure on trailer correct.. ☑ people, supplies, and luggage loaded...☑

Off we go. We head out I-66 and merge onto I-81. No issue moving right along. The trailer started pulling oddly. Stopped. Wouldn't you know a flat. Changed the tire.

On the road again. BANG!!!!!!! It's been less than a mile since the flat. Start pulling off the road again. We are looking at the trailer. But it has just one spare and we used that already.

A State Trooper pulls up. He has quite the attitude. He says, "You peppered me with shrapnel as I was writing a ticket back there!" We said nothing, thinking you really think it was planned. The officer was huffing and stomping around. The dh explained we just changed a flat so we had no spare. He granted us permission to leave the trailer and get new tires. Like there was another option.

We found a tire store. Back to the trailer, put tire on plus have a spare, and on the road again.

At the campground when setting up the camper, saw wood under the sofa bench. The hole was just above the tire. Continued vacation and dealt with the insurance and repairs when we returned home.
cherokee_psh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #2
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I can understand the annoyed trooper. I would not have wanted to be in his position, nor yours either. It's not like you made the second tire fail on purpose as you were passing him. Glad no one was injured by either bad tire.

Out of curiosity, how old were the trailer tires when they decided to fail?
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:31 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
maybe 5 years old, we bought it new in PA.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Four words, "Tire Pressure Monitor System."
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:48 PM   #5

I have found that the less expensive trailer tires, especially the Carlisle brand, seem almost not worth installing on the rim.
Put one of Discount Tires most expensive trailer tires on my tow dolly. Got almost double the mileage than the cheap tires.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 04:24 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Tire goes boom

Two tires in one trip-wow! Glad nobody was hurt. Wonder if your trailer is overweight when all packed up? I'm pretty close to my limits on my Class A back tires, with plenty to spare on the fronts.

If you haven't yet, it's kinda fun going to a truck weigh station (not on the highway-but they have them at some truck diesel stations too). You'll learn just how heavy you are once the food, clothing, family, and beer is on board!

I do like having a TPMS too, though they don't prevent all blowouts and can't tell you anything about weight. I wouldn't drive without mine just because mine have alerted me to low and high pressures occasionally.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:59 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
After the tire replacement, we never had another flat. We gave the pop-up to one of our daughters. The sold it last year, but they did not have tire issues either.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:03 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Two tires in one trip-wow! Glad nobody was hurt. Wonder if your trailer is overweight when all packed up? I'm pretty close to my limits on my Class A back tires, with plenty to spare on the fronts.

If you haven't yet, it's kinda fun going to a truck weigh station (not on the highway-but they have them at some truck diesel stations too). You'll learn just how heavy you are once the food, clothing, family, and beer is on board!

I do like having a TPMS too, though they don't prevent all blowouts and can't tell you anything about weight. I wouldn't drive without mine just because mine have alerted me to low and high pressures occasionally.
We packed all that in the Jeep. Trailer is gone now, we moved on to a class a. Probably do need to have that checked on this rv.
cherokee_psh is offline   Reply With Quote