Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:55 PM   #1

For anyone who travels a lot in the midwest you'll appreciate this story. A few weeks ago my husband and I headed out East across Nebraska on our way to a dog show in WI. I had just drifted off for a nap in the passengers seat when the alarm from the weather radio woke me up. I immediately smelled something like burning wires and couldn't figure out what was happening. It was raining buckets and the weather radio was announcing a funnel cloud sited 3 miles East of Aurora. I checked the GPS and we were 2 miles West of Aurora where we could stop and check on the burning smell. I looked out the passenger window at a bank of dark clouds and sure enough, there was the funnel cloud off in a distance to the South and behind us but heading East.

As my husband drove toward the next exit I unbuckled and ran back to the breaker panel shutting everything down.

As we pulled off at the Aurora exit the tornado sirens were blasting and everyone was watching the sky. The announcer on the radio said the funnel was now a tornado and it was traveling at 7 MPH to the East so we figured we were safe for another 15 minutes or so. The control panel was showing an error on the invertor so I shut everything down and my husband jumped out of the coach to check the inverter in the basement and sure enough it had picked this time to fry itself. He quickly disconnected the power, jumped back into the coach and we headed out of town just ahead of the tornado.

There is a happy ending...sort of....We contacted Cummins in WI where we were headed and they ordered a new inverter, once we arrived at our destination they installed the new inverter and had us on our way in a few hours.

If you're travelling through tornado alley ALWAYS be sure to take along a severe weather radio.

Fly'n Paws
2005 Alpine Avalanceh
Centennial, CO

2005 Alpine Avalanche
Fly'n Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2007, 09:55 PM   #2

For anyone who travels a lot in the midwest you'll appreciate this story. A few weeks ago my husband and I headed out East across Nebraska on our way to a dog show in WI. I had just drifted off for a nap in the passengers seat when the alarm from the weather radio woke me up. I immediately smelled something like burning wires and couldn't figure out what was happening. It was raining buckets and the weather radio was announcing a funnel cloud sited 3 miles East of Aurora. I checked the GPS and we were 2 miles West of Aurora where we could stop and check on the burning smell. I looked out the passenger window at a bank of dark clouds and sure enough, there was the funnel cloud off in a distance to the South and behind us but heading East.

As my husband drove toward the next exit I unbuckled and ran back to the breaker panel shutting everything down.

As we pulled off at the Aurora exit the tornado sirens were blasting and everyone was watching the sky. The announcer on the radio said the funnel was now a tornado and it was traveling at 7 MPH to the East so we figured we were safe for another 15 minutes or so. The control panel was showing an error on the invertor so I shut everything down and my husband jumped out of the coach to check the inverter in the basement and sure enough it had picked this time to fry itself. He quickly disconnected the power, jumped back into the coach and we headed out of town just ahead of the tornado.

There is a happy ending...sort of....We contacted Cummins in WI where we were headed and they ordered a new inverter, once we arrived at our destination they installed the new inverter and had us on our way in a few hours.

If you're travelling through tornado alley ALWAYS be sure to take along a severe weather radio.

Fly'n Paws
2005 Alpine Avalanceh
Centennial, CO

2005 Alpine Avalanche
Fly'n Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:07 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Fly'n Paws: .... I checked the GPS and we were 2 miles West of Aurora ... If you're travelling through tornado alley ALWAYS be sure to take along a severe weather radio.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. You have some cool heads in your rig.

Your story is probably the best reason I've heard to get a GPS. I was camped overnight in West Texas and heard tornado warnings in this county or that county -- and I hadn't the slightest idea what county I was in or whether to take cover.

Turns out, the tornado was in the area in which I had planned to camp that night -- but I missed the exit!! LOL!
Old 09-23-2007, 07:16 PM   #4

Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rivercat:

Your story is probably the best reason I've heard to get a GPS. I was camped overnight in West Texas and heard tornado warnings in this county or that county -- and I hadn't the slightest idea what county I was in or whether to take cover.

Turns out, the tornado was in the area in which I had planned to camp that night -- but I missed the exit!! LOL! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We pull a travel trailer, and have a weather alert CB radio, and a weather alert radio in the trailer. Both will scan for the strongest station. When we travel on long trips, I have a truckers atlas and use a highlighter to mark out the counties that we are going through. If the alert goes off, we can look and see where we are in relation to the storm. The GPS is a great idea. I have one, and never thought of using one for that before.
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:32 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fly'n Paws:

If you're travelling through tornado alley ALWAYS be sure to take along a severe weather radio. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fly'n Paws,

Which brand of weather radio would you recommend? We do quite a few dog shows in CO, NM, Az, CA and since my elderly folks reside in Ohio, we make that trip a time or 2 a year. Sounds like a worthwhile investment!

Thanks,
mom2mastiffs is offline   Reply With Quote