Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:10 AM   #1

Traffic Cameras.....

Recently, on our vacation trip to Florida, I was driving along and I saw the flash of a traffic camera. I had heard about the dreaded traffic cameras that some Florida cities used to catch speeders but I knew that I wasn't speeding.

Just to be sure, I drove around the block and passed the same spot, driving even more slowly, but again the camera flashed.

Now I began to think that this was quite funny, so I drove even slower as I passed the area once more, but the traffic camera again flashed.

I tried a fourth and fifth time with the same results and was now laughing as the camera flashed while I rolled past at a snail's pace.

Three weeks later, after I'd arrived back home, I received an envelope........ It contained five tickets for driving without a seat belt.

Pawnee Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2010, 08:54 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thumbs up

Funniest thing I've heard/read lately. Read it to my wife and thought she was going to hurt herself laughing.

Laughter is certainly a good medicine.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:47 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
You remind me of ME........lol..........
God bless our troops and bring them home soon and safe
God bless our vets ... ALL GAVE SOME ... SOME GAVE ALL
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dan, I'd just pay the ticket and not try to explain it to a judge....

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #5

dang!! I nearly choked!
haulinhazmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are companies out there that sell products "Guaranteed" to keep you from getting a traffic camera speeding ticket..

Mythbusters tested them

Plastic prismatic or polorized or other special lense cover for the license plate Busted, the camera got a clear view of the plate

Spray on coatings... Busted, camera still got a clear picture.

They had some other trick they tried.. Busted camera still got a clear shot.

There is also a theory that if you go fast enough the camera can not get you.

That one they validated.. 250 mph and the camera did not catch the plate on the rocket car. At 150, with a more standard high performance car.. It did.
(ACTUALLY, I'm not sure the speed the rocket car was going.. But it's one of those they run down at White Sands that can push if not exceed Mach-1)
Old 08-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #7

Dang... I hate how they have cameras all over the place now.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #8

A recent story from the UK, where they have speed cameras in vans that they park by the side of the road, in addition to those on poles. They are all run for the local traffic authorities by private contractors who get a slice of the revenue generated.

A group of young men out for a drive spotted one of these vans on the roadside. They all got out and started a conversation with the operators in the van. One of their group slipped away and removed the license plate from the van.

They then drove away, stopped and replaced their real license plate with that from the van. They then all put on red nose and glasses diguises, and drove past the van at high speed several times, each time seeing a flash from the camera.
The story in the local paper was that the operators were surprised when they were pulled over later that evening by the police for not having a license plate. They were then even more surpised when their company was cited for several instances of exceeding the speed limit.

For a reason that I'm not sure about, speed cameras are known as "Gatsos". There's actually a web-site run by "Captain Gatso" that gives near-real-time information on the location of mobile units, and a listing of where all stationary ones are. The Captain's followers have discovered that a quick volley from a paintball gun blinds the camera but doesn't stop it using up its recording media.

BTW, Dragon Rover, if you don't like "all these cameras" in the US, I would advise against visiting the UK. The number of surveillance cameras over there just shows that Orwell wasn't wrong with his predictions, just 26 years early .
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote