Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was a teenager during the golden age of the 'muscle cars' and remember well going to Richmond Dragway (Richmond, VA) and watching the guys with Olds 442's beating the pants off any of the Chevy's, Fords, or Mopars. Guys would show up with juiced-up Cheveles, Camaros, Mustangs, Torinos and Super B's and the stock Olds 442's would outrun all of them.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #16

442 was 4speed 4barrel carb and 2door hard top if I remember right...lol...and get up and go..BUSHMAN never had one but wished for one a few times.and thanks for all the input great to remember them days...Hard to beleave that the Big 3 are in the shape they are but think about how many Cars have died a slow death over the years I drove past a place that made the Car called a Wills Saint Clair...any one out there know of that Car?That was no speed demon...lol...Well

Old 06-09-2009, 04:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman512003 View Post
442 was 4speed 4barrel carb and 2door hard top if I remember right...lol...and get up and go..BUSHMAN never had one but wished for one a few times.and thanks for all the input great to remember them days...Hard to beleave that the Big 3 are in the shape they are but think about how many Cars have died a slow death over the years I drove past a place that made the Car called a Wills Saint Clair...any one out there know of that Car?That was no speed demon...lol...Well
Well I Made a BOBO 2 stands for duel exhust not 2 door hard top.sorry about the first run at that must be old age..got up early and it hit Me but at least know buddy seen it first...lol...Bushman
Old 06-09-2009, 06:30 AM   #18
JWT

Alpine Owners Club
For all you Oldsmobubble lovers out there check this out.YouTube - 1966 Olds 442 W30 MuscleCar Nationals Race & Show Fun
Old 06-11-2009, 06:18 AM   #19

The smell of Bleach and Rubber...Bushman
Old 06-11-2009, 07:39 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
JWT:

Thanks for that great video. Too long ago to remember, but one of my fellow volunteer firefighters had one of those in gold....can't remember if he had 3 deuces or the stock 4 bbl but he regularly kicked butt in his class at the drag strip. He let me drive it once and it was big and very powerful.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:33 AM   #21
JWT

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
JWT:

Thanks for that great video. Too long ago to remember, but one of my fellow volunteer firefighters had one of those in gold....can't remember if he had 3 deuces or the stock 4 bbl but he regularly kicked butt in his class at the drag strip. He let me drive it once and it was big and very powerful.
Those runs were on 8" street tires and full muffler exhaust, not bad huh......
Old 06-12-2009, 12:47 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Buick still has those cute port holes.
Dirk...those "cute little portholes" are actually "working portholes" ...and gosh.. just look what smiles this thread brought up once this "Blue Haired Driving Door Dinger" brought up driving at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. ...(Ok..I know I am not responsible - but heck...we all did smile at where this thread took us! )
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club

This is not my car,(66 caddy)but I used to have this exact same car as the white one but blue in color.I used to drive it to work every day.One day as I was going to work I had to overtake someone I work with.When I got to work & met up with him again he was laughing & laughing,I asked him whats so funny? He says" as you were passing me I kept looking over towards you every few seconds & all I kept seeing was blue! I kept waiting for the end of your car, didn't seem like it was ever going to end! I miss that car.
I liked this part of the car.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:40 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWT View Post
For all you Oldsmobubble lovers out there check this out.YouTube - 1966 Olds 442 W30 MuscleCar Nationals Race & Show Fun
I don't have to remember about the good old days. I've still got my 67 Olds Cutlass. Olds 455, Holley 780, Edelbrock intake, Hooker Headers, Built 700R trans (4sp auto), Chevy 12 bolt posi with 3.31 and Flowmaster Exhaust.

My parents purchased this Cutlass new in August of 1967. They gave me the car when I was training a Keelser AFB, Biloxi Mississippi in 1973.

This Cutlass started out as a 'Turnpike Cruiser'. Which meant it has as the 442 running gear, turbo 400, and 442 suspension (including boxed trailing arms). The only difference between this and a 442 was a 2bl carb, 'smaller' cam and smaller brakes (it has disk brakes now).

Still has the original interior.
CrossCountryNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:56 AM   #25

I had a '68 Olds Delta 88 with the 455 2bbl. I won a lot more $$ at the strip with it than I did with my '66 Nova (327 / 275) or my '69 Dart 340. It wasn't nearly as fast - but in those days it was all about bracket racing - and it would turn 17.3's all night long.

I never outgrew the muscle car era - despite my years of sports cars and road racing. As evidenced by my current boulevard cruiser:

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote