Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:03 AM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"We Must be Crazy"

Saw this sub-forum and thought I should share.
Last month DW and I decided to buy our first RV. At first we thought a Class B would be fine, but after researching on forums like this (and thinking about full timing) we decided to look for a Class A. We had a modest budget and did not want to make any payments for a new one, so we looked at mostly mid 90's gas coaches and early 90's diesel pushers. We started looking early July, and must have looked at maybe 2 dozen motor homes and drove about a thousand miles throughout Southern California. Never saw so much junk in all my life! I scoured Craigslist, newspapers and classified ads to no avail.
We started to get discouraged by the end of July and thought it may take quite some time to find something we liked. Then Friday, July 30th DW got a call from her sister in Washington, there was a crisis and she wanted to fly out to help her. I knew this meant using at least 2k of our motor home budget. DW said "I wish we already had an RV so we could go stay at her property and help her". I quickly reviewed all my previous notes to see if I could find something suitable, but nothing I saw was near road ready.
Later that day I saw a new post on Craigslist for a '98 Gulfstream 32.5' with a super slide. DW agreed to wait one more day to book her reservations. As usual it looked good in the ad, but we had been disappointed so many times before, we knew not to get too excited.
We scheduled an appointment July 31st Saturday morning to see the motor home. We arrived at the sellers house (in my home town) at 9:00am. I did a quick walk around the outside of the RV before the seller came out and I thought to myself "wow the outside looks nice" then the owner came out and showed me the coach. It was super nice inside and out! He then showed me the service history, all fluids changed last month, new batteries, new tires last year, just smogged and tagged last month. Everything Looks great for a 12 year old, 50k mile rig.
I performed my rigorous inspection, thanks to the nice check sheet I downloaded from the net. A few hours later I had not found anything wrong!
The only problem now was the price, it was over budget. After befriending the seller and promising to send photos of our future escapades, we agreed on a price within our budget. At 12:00 noon I ran to the bank, got cash, ran back to the seller, and picked up the title. Now seller informs me he must have his handi-capped license plate back. Now it's 1:00pm have to run to Auto Club on a Saturday (they close at 2:00pm) just made it in time to transfer title, get new plates and pay a reasonable amount of sales tax and transfer fee's.
I drove back to pick up the RV and the seller asked me "are you going to take her on a shake down cruise?" I replied "Yes, we are going on a 1200 mile trip tomorrow to Tacoma WA" He looked at me as if I was crazy (and rightfully so)
I drove the coach a few miles home and pulled it into the driveway. DW and I started packing our personal effects and loaded up the RV. Now it's getting late, so I started looking for motor home insurance, I found it is very hard to get RV insurance after 9:00pm on a Saturday. Then DW pulls through at 12:00 midnight and finds a 24 hour RV insurance company on the web. I called and spoke to a live agent, 20 minutes later I printed out our proof of insurance. We're good to go!
We slept lightly that night then got up to start our journey. Our heads were still spinning as we looked at each other and said "We must be crazy".
We left SoCali Sunday afternoon, three days later we arrived at our destination with only minor incidence. A drive belt pulley bearing was noisy. I replaced it the next day, fortunately It was an easy fix.
Now we are in Graham Washington, crisis averted and counting our blessings. We should be ready to go home within a few days and are hoping the trip back goes as well or better than the trip here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV@Redding.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	4940  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2010, 06:28 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
How much better can life get. Own bed,bath and all. Congratulations on the find and the continued adventures. Have you named "it" yet?

skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:39 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow, how lucky could you get?? Glad to see everything worked out for you and hope you enjoy many happy miles traveling in your knew to you rig. I love when a plan come together. Happy Motoring and Be Safe!!!!!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:45 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Congrats. on your first coach

''Congratulations on your first coach.''
You are on page one of a life time of adventure as seen thru the windshield of a motor home. You are on an adventure that will introduce you to this great land called USA and you will see places and do things that only RV'rs can do. You will meet the nicest folks and make friends in ''places where you did not know there were PLACES''... You will laugh, curse, cry, smile, and frown but you will not take anything in the world for the adventure you are about to embark on. Take pictures and keep a ''log'' starting now because in a year it will all ''run together'' like good soup.
Be safe on the road.....
Old 08-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot of head scratching going on

We are learning something new every step of the way. At least I have all the manuals for things I'm not sure about. Thanks for all the great tips, yes I need to remember to take more photos, no I haven't named her yet, so we need to start thinking about names. Reminds me of stories my RN wife tells me about couples having a baby first, then saying oh yeah, we need to name it!
Old 08-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WOW! WOW! WOW! What a story!

Isn't that how things happen sometimes. You wait and wait and wait and then everything happens at once. Glad you were able to put it all together on such short notice.

And Congratulations on the new motorhome!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Everyone that takes a home and rolls it down the road has to be a little bit off center.

Ken
Old 08-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Everyone that takes a home and rolls it down the road has to be a little bit off center.
That's for sure, thanks for helping me feel like I'm not the only one that's ever done something that seems so crazy!
Old 08-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #9

Considering all the "off center" stories with SAD endings, yours is an inspiration!

Welcome to the group!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations and Great Story! Sometimes things just happen for a reason as my DW always says.

Happy and Safe Miles...

BTW.... yes, you ARE crazy but you've come to the right place!

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We lucked into ours so we know exactly how you feel. Congrats & Welcome!!!
ZephyrKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #12

Nope but you are smart!

We also looked at dozens of coaches, drove all over to see Craig's listings and were about to give up on attending a family wedding 1200 miles away in the RV. I had thought 2 months to find something was giving myself plenty of time. Then days before I had to make a no go call a Craig's listing came up that was in great shape, the right length, did not smell bad, had no leaks and was the exact floor plan I wanted with the brand name I wanted. It even had a neutral beige color scheme which I liked. I jumped on it without a professional inspection (which I had vowed to do) as there was another couple standing behind me waving money to buy it if I didn't. So I know just how you feel. Although I spent lots of money on upgrades I'm having a ball using it and there wasn't really much wrong with it when I had it inspected. Congratulations!!!

Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:20 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by micd View Post
I jumped on it without a professional inspection (which I had vowed to do) as there was another couple standing behind me waving money to buy it if I didn't.
Michelle
That couple behind you was probably us!
We helped sell at least 2 motor homes that we missed out on by 10-20 minutes.
We should have got a percentage of the sale for removing the negotiating room from the price.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Congratulations Wanabe FTr !

We got lucky when my sister decided they needed to sell the RV due to their health, the thought of us owning an RV never entered my mind until my brother suggested I buy it ..my son and I flew to Florida, spent a couple of days and drove it home.. Sis rode back to Texas with us for one more trip and a visit with us. DH did not know about our 'new' home until he got home for TAH (OTR truck driver) , was he ever in 'shock' when he learned the truth.. He loves it now,, took our longest trip to Branson this year so far.. looking forward to more trips..

"Travlin with a song and prayer"
Me n Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote