Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:40 PM   #1

Pond Piggies Club
What did you learn this year

Now, as 2010 draw to an end, I think we need to sit back and reflect on what we have learned this year. Here is a few things I have learned this year.

That "stick" that is in the monitor of your back up camera is actually a tree. A big tree.

When you put bread in the toaster, you MUST plug the toaster in to get it to toast the bread.

"Two Scoops" may be OK for cereal, but not for the new coffee pot in the RV.

Wheel Chocks are made to keep the RV from rolling away. However, if you are parked where it is kinda muddy, and you use 4 wheel drive, low range, with a diesel pick-up, you can pull away with the wheel chocks still in place, and they will mess up tires.

OK, who else has messed up this year???????
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:55 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
No wonder you chose the name Grumpytrkr.

My lesson this year is that you should look at all objects in your mirror when backing into storage. Sometimes the neighboring RV mirror protrudes farther than you think.

I am thankful that he is a nice guy.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #3

Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
No wonder you chose the name Grumpytrkr.

My lesson this year is that you should look at all objects in your mirror when backing into storage. Sometimes the neighboring RV mirror protrudes farther than you think.

I am thankful that he is a nice guy.
My Uncle gave me the nickname of Grumpy when I was in diapers, and I drive truck.....Grumpytrkr.

Something else I learned.....when using FRS radios while backing up, make sure they are on the same channel.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
In July we learned that you should check behind whomever placed your toad for hookup. *read 'son'* Chances are they pulled the parking brake up and with a heavy coach you can drag an Element for quite a distance before the two rear tires blow.
Also learned that in Beaufort SC, used (no new ones available) tires are a valuable commodity - especially if you drive a "big ole nice camper" and are over the barrell needing to replace two blown tires. $100 for two worn out tires
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:19 PM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
I learned..............

When a pair of retired couples are on their first trip in a very expensive motorhome, and are departing the campground, and the wife pushes the "awning" and not "antenna" button, it OK to laugh, ONLY after the other couples start laughing. Until then, offer help, like a sharp knife, a hack saw, zip ties.......
Old 12-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I learned to visually check to make sure the step has retracted before you drive off. Why can't they make one that has an alarm and automatically retracts ?
Old 12-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I too, learned that the NY turnpike toll lanes are not wide enough for your RV, with the step extended. Also learned how to take the wrecked step off, while parked on the side of the road. Ouch!
Old 12-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
I learned that a sudden gust or two of wind can make pretzels out of awning arms very quickly ...and that totally removing a damaged large patio awning from the side of a motorhome without causing more damage, and with virtually no help, can be very stressful and takes quite awhile...

Quote:
Why can't they make one that has an alarm and automatically retracts ?
Actually, they do! ...can't tell you much else other than our coach has one and it is made by Kwikee. ...now if I could wire the over-door awning to the step wiring I would be happy!!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We learned that in the epic battle between palm tree and RV, the palm tree wins....
Old 12-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I learned that I can't drag my Ford Ranger towd for 60 feet or so on a paved road with the parking brake on without making a flat spot on the RR tire.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
no matter how much MASS you have....walking head into the slide will not make it go in
but will make you sit down abruptly and see stars
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Things I have learned:

Corrosion never sleeps. Wood rot doesn't slumber either.
I can save a couple of thousand dollars if I do the restorative repair and maintenance work myself.
On an old rig, standards for wiring don't necessarily apply. Verify.
I sleep much more soundly knowing that the repairs are done right, because I did them.
Amish master craftsmen must have had one too many hot toddies when they put my rig together.
Molding hides a carpenter's mistakes.
Happiness is a paid for RV.
You meet the nicest people in a military FAMCAMP, and they LOVE to swap war stories.
The internet is a small place. I know a few folks here from other internet forums. Like powerboatr, whom I know from a diesel truck forum (Hi Robert!)
Always use the slider hitch to slide the hitch point back when making tight turns with a short bed truck. Don't ask me how I know.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #13

I learned over-confidence is hard to overcome_. Perhaps having our rear cap repaired, which cannot be accomplished until the temperature is 60*F or above, will have some influence.
note to self: When you back into a brick house, the RV loses. This the result of telling DW "go ahead in the house, I'll back the 5er in myself".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
I learned to visually check to make sure the step has retracted before you drive off. Why can't they make one that has an alarm and automatically retracts ?
I intalled an auto fish eye on my MH fish eye just for that reason. I can see the stairs in it.