Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
Why we have an RV

I grew up camping with my family in a tent, then when planning a trip across country to see the rest of the family our family set out on a quest to find an RV that would suit our needs, there were a total of 7 of us, mom dad and 5 kids. I clearly remember the excitement when my dad began to look at trucks with the slid on campers, unfortunately it just didn't pan out, we ended up borrowing a friends tent trailer and the RV bug officially bite me.
Life continued from that time and our family, after that borrowed tent trailer episode across the country, did what we always did, tent camping. I grew up loving it, went into scouts and covered all the mountain tops in our area, plus Mt. Whitney, thinking this is how camping is done.
Then in 79 I married and thought that this family tradition would begin a new generation. My lovely bride whom we will celebrate 33 years with next week was anxious to learn this lifestyle. I gotta give her credit she was a trouper, didn't matter where we went she was always by my side and willing to make the trips.
We continued with camping in tents for the first couple years, but then after our first son came along and we were expecting our second we decided to spend new years eve in Joshua Tree National Park. Well here we were in the back of our first Rv, sorta, we had a 1973 Toyota pickup with a shell, yup that was it our first RV, real basic. My wife was expecting our second child in July so the three and half of us spent new years eve between the wheel wells of that truck. As you can guess it was miserable for all of us, the following morning we woke and went to visit one of the families that were with us who had t travel trailer. I will never forget the feeling I got when we walked into that trailer, the smell of breakfast, the kids running around with their PJ's with the feet I the bottom, it was warm and cozy, I decided then that we were going to be an RV family.

Dgschaadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Great story! My wife and I have taken five children and 10 grandchildren camping and we still love the look of excitement and the fun times we share with each other. Enjoy every moment of the journey!
Regards, Bruce
Bruce & Ruth Kelly - Hingham, MA U.S.A.
2012 Navion 24J - FMCA F314386 - "Living The Dream
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote