Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:57 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Wrecked a brand new Motorhome in less than 50' from its dealership parking space

We were visiting in a Motorhome with a salesperson when this guy came in and called the salesperson outside to talk.

A few moments later, the salesman came back inside and said he needed to excuse himself for a few minutes.

When he came back he told me the story. The new owner, was attempting to pull out of a spot that was under cover. It had steel side poles to support the covered roof. Pulling out, making a Right turn, he took out about 25' of his new coach. Baggage doors especially. He left the coach at the dealership for repairs to be done before he took it home.

When we were leaving with the salesperson, in the golf cart he showed me as we drove right past it.

I just really felt bad for that guy!!! Made me ask myself, did he not ever drive one of these before? Obviously he was not watching his mirrors... And I wonder how he explained this to his wife. So glad I was not this guy I would really be disappointed.

Scary when you think of someone getting behind the wheel of a big rig and not having experience.

Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2017, 06:04 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
And yet there are many stories just like this one. New RV owners get behind the wheel and drive it like their car.

I HIGHLY recommend any new coach owner to sign up for the Lazy Days Driving course. When staying at their campground I see women most often driving around the campground who are taking the course. Classroom in the morning and driving in the afternoon.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 06:12 AM   #3

Way back when (1972) did that to a brand new car driving if off the lot. Funny now but certainly not funny then

momdoc
Old 03-15-2017, 06:22 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was standing near a corner in old town Branson, MO a few years ago when a 40' DP (think it was a Monaco Dynasty) approached the intersection to make a right turn. It should have been perfectly clear to the driver that he could never make that turn and IIRC, there was a sign warning large vehicles to continue straight. I watched as the driver made the turn, and the entire right side of the coach from midship to the back dragged across a large concrete barrier. The crunching sound was sickening.

As my father used to say, some folks got more money than brains.....
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #5

I'm very glad that, between my initial retirement at 58 and my first Class A (a 32-footer)I worked for our local transit agency as a coach driver for two years. After driving 40-footers with 60 people on board through downtown rush-hour traffic, the RV was no problem!
Old 03-15-2017, 05:05 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Yes, driving school is a great idea!!

When I was hired years ago by the school district to drive buses, there was an initial 3 week course with a trainer. He took 3 of us out on a course for a week before we ever went out on the roads. I was asked ahead of time how I felt about getting behind the wheel.

Having driven farm equipment and owned RV's for 35 years, I said, no problem! And I must say, my skills were not as great as I thought they would be.

For your CDL, you have to corner without touching the cones and come within 12" of the base of the cone and not touch it.

You have to be able to curb park, pull out, avoid fixed objects like meters and signs, drive a narrowing alley way, be able to corner and back up into an alleyway and stop within 12" of the indicated barrier (cones). That one is really tough to do because they do not allow you to pull forward and adjust.

But even after doing all this and driving for 5 years, I started driving for Arrow Stage lines and in multiple coaches, MCI, Vanhool's, Setra, and even that was getting some used to.

We were in training with Arrow, I was sitting behind the driver (who said he used to drive for Greyhound) The driver was in the center lane, (not sure why) On I-80 from Omaha-Lincoln westbound. A semi came up along side of us on the Right side passing us. When he thought he was clear I guess started coming over. I started yelling, "He's coming over! He's coming over". Our driver seemed to be memorized on the road ahead. Never turned his head or reacted and the semi took out our right mirror. Thomas, our driver was so upset, he pulled off the first exit. Refused to drive. We switched out drivers and went back to base. Thomas finished the day but never returned the following day. I know for certain he was not terminated, I guess the guy decided perhaps it was too much for him. He also told the company our trainer told him to be in the center lane. Which he did not! The trainer even asked me "Did I say anything about being in the center lane and I said no you did not". One more reason to drive the right lane and always be alert to passing vehicles.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:28 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I was in my local RV shop when I watched a 40 some foot coach being backed in the service bay. The entire right side was crushed from the belt line down. A mechanic told me the owner had caught the concrete barriers at a toll booth. I felt bad but then the mechanic went on to say - this is the third time he has done it!!!! Wonder who his insurance company is!
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
When I was hired years ago by the school district to drive buses, there was an initial 3 week course with a trainer. He took 3 of us out on a course for a week before we ever went out on the roads. I was asked ahead of time how I felt about getting behind the wheel.

Having driven farm equipment and owned RV's for 35 years, I said, no problem! And I must say, my skills were not as great as I thought they would be.

For your CDL, you have to corner without touching the cones and come within 12" of the base of the cone and not touch it.

You have to be able to curb park, pull out, avoid fixed objects like meters and signs, drive a narrowing alley way, be able to corner and back up into an alleyway and stop within 12" of the indicated barrier (cones). That one is really tough to do because they do not allow you to pull forward and adjust.

But even after doing all this and driving for 5 years, I started driving for Arrow Stage lines and in multiple coaches, MCI, Vanhool's, Setra, and even that was getting some used to.

We were in training with Arrow, I was sitting behind the driver (who said he used to drive for Greyhound) The driver was in the center lane, (not sure why) On I-80 from Omaha-Lincoln westbound. A semi came up along side of us on the Right side passing us. When he thought he was clear I guess started coming over. I started yelling, "He's coming over! He's coming over". Our driver seemed to be memorized on the road ahead. Never turned his head or reacted and the semi took out our right mirror. Thomas, our driver was so upset, he pulled off the first exit. Refused to drive. We switched out drivers and went back to base. Thomas finished the day but never returned the following day. I know for certain he was not terminated, I guess the guy decided perhaps it was too much for him. He also told the company our trainer told him to be in the center lane. Which he did not! The trainer even asked me "Did I say anything about being in the center lane and I said no you did not". One more reason to drive the right lane and always be alert to passing vehicles.
On a 3 lane road I drive the middle unless the right lane is clear for a long way. Too many folks entering and exiting from the right lane. Trucks do the same thing.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:01 PM   #9

A few years ago I had to drive a brand new 40DP from Indiana (factory) to South Carolina for the owner ( a close friend) who got sick and couldn't drive it. I had driven 70 foot boats, Boeing 757 airplanes, 28 ft class A but nothing like a $500K new DP. Boy the first 200 miles was a steep learning experience.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:24 PM   #10
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertman View Post
I was in my local RV shop when I watched a 40 some foot coach being backed in the service bay. The entire right side was crushed from the belt line down. A mechanic told me the owner had caught the concrete barriers at a toll booth. I felt bad but then the mechanic went on to say - this is the third time he has done it!!!! Wonder who his insurance company is!
Do you mean I wonder who his insurance company WAS? Surely they dropped him after the 3rd time.

I picked my brand new RV up from a dealer in suburban Chicago and was driving back to Oklahoma. As I was very carefully pulling into a toll booth, my driver's side mirror struck a clear plastic wind guard on the toll booth. There wasn't any damage on either, unless you count the undies on me and the toll taker.

Just the first of many RV lessons learned the hard way.
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
I sold my Dodge Viper to a guy who said he had a Viper before but really seemed to lack the knowledge of a Viper owner.
When I finally ask he said he did have it long and he only drove it twice. ???
He drove it home wash and waxed it and he drove it to the scene of the accident.
jaywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:50 PM   #12

Have not seen it with a motorhome, but with a motorcycle. The lady tipped it over in less than 45 feet after purchasing.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:07 PM   #13

It happens

Last spring after leaving the dealership with tt we decided to do dairy queen with the grand kids to celebrate the new purchase. Well I took an easier route through a used car lot to dq, yep the dealer had those old lite bulbs evert foot strung overhead which I didn't catch but the tt roof did with a nice gash in the rubber roof catching the air conditioner and pulling the lite cable down. Never saw so much damage for 2mph.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:38 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Back in the early 60's, when I sold auto insurance, a customer bought a new Plymouth. He called me and added full coverage on his new Fury, which I did. He called me back 15 minutes later, and said that he had driven the Fury 50 feet out the door, and got hit broadside by a BiState bus. They towed him back in the same door.

1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '98 Saturn SW2, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, dealer, motorhome