Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:13 PM   #603
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
My first job at IBM was building 026 card punches. I saw one in the Smithsonian a few years ago.

Bruce, they didn't try to keep you there for display did they?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #604

Changed, polished and adjusted the heads on the IRS open platter hard drives...those were fun...not...
Old 05-22-2015, 05:15 AM   #605

Winnebago Owners Club
My dad & Uncle had a junkyard . Saturdays & Summers I would work there. My intro, at about age 11 or 12 was breaking down the "new innovation" tubeless tires. Before we had tire changers we would break the bead with 2 hammers, then pry the tire off the wheel with a spoon.

The mechanical skills I acquired in those years is virtually unattainable to young people today.
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:09 AM   #606

Deny,

Those were the days! Now days, breathing old air from a tire, is probably a health risk.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:29 AM   #607

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I've got a few 5½", 360 K floppies around and a punch card reading board. I did finally throw away the paper programming charts for the card reader and verifier!
I remember upgrading to the 129 readers. "Face Down nine edge first" that phrase draws blank stares these days.

I still have a Kaypro-1 and a Kaypro-16. Boy the 360K drives are hard to find now and the WD1002 Hard Disk controller is just impossible. I'm making a emulator for it now using a PIC Microcontroller which is well over ten times more capable than the Z80 in the Kay1 or the 8088 in the 16.
I keep wondering what we could have done with todays tools back in the day. We built breadboards with a wire wrap tool and wrote software in assembly. 64K of memory was the end all in memory.
The first processor I worked on was a 8008 and for a mainframe we had a Data General Nova II. Five meg hard disk with a removable platter. Did you guys know the Winchester Hard Disks were named after the rifle? 30 Meg fixed and 30 Meg removable made it a 30/30 Winchester.

DW said "Your not too old to remember this stuff!" I guess there is still HOPE.

Dick
Old 05-22-2015, 07:39 AM   #608

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
I remember upgrading to the 129 readers. "Face Down nine edge first" that phrase draws blank stares these days.

I still have a Kaypro-1 and a Kaypro-16. Boy the 360K drives are hard to find now and the WD1002 Hard Disk controller is just impossible. I'm making a emulator for it now using a PIC Microcontroller which is well over ten times more capable than the Z80 in the Kay1 or the 8088 in the 16.
I keep wondering what we could have done with todays tools back in the day. We built breadboards with a wire wrap tool and wrote software in assembly. 64K of memory was the end all in memory.
The first processor I worked on was a 8008 and for a mainframe we had a Data General Nova II. Five meg hard disk with a removable platter. Did you guys know the Winchester Hard Disks were named after the rifle? 30 Meg fixed and 30 Meg removable made it a 30/30 Winchester.Dick
Ah, the assembler language programmer's epitaph "just bury me face down, nine edge first". I remember writing code with paper and pencil, handing the forms to the punch room then submitting the deck of cards to the machine room for processing, then waiting 24 hours to see that I had put one digit in the wrong place, and starting over...
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:45 AM   #609

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
if you remember seeing the movie "The Thing" starring James Arness!
Or how about "Them" (giant mutated ants)
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:00 AM   #610

I saw a look new kaypro at a thrift store this week burried in the man cave...anyone want it?

Cause for paws oakhurst ca...
Old 05-22-2015, 04:55 PM   #611

I had an Osborn when they came out. I still have some of the 8" discs laying around.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:12 PM   #612

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
My first "micro" computer I had to solder together. It was an Elf II and had a full 4K of ram available in it. Ran an RCA (remember them) processor, an 1801 8-bit chip. I practically memorized the hex codes for the assembly as that was the only way to enter code into the thing, through a hex keypad. It's actually sitting in a closet, unpowered of course
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:50 AM   #613

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Or how about "Them" (giant mutated ants)
"Make me a captain in charge of the booze"
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:57 AM   #614

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
One of my first phone company jobs was as an order writer. We took the order from a representative then wrote it in "computer language" on paper and sent it along to a typist to enter in the computer. Then the wait to see if it got kicked out and start over. What the heck is a virgule?
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #615

I used to write the input for tool correction for Barber Colman company. Sent the paperwork to the computer department where inputs were done, then came back in the morning to get computer output with the new geometric shapes. Computer was "so fast" back then that they rented out time on the machine!!
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #616

Monaco Owners Club
You're doing all the stuff your dad used to do...and all the stuff your grand dad used to do...and it's all good.

There was a time when I never wanted to be like him, now I just wish I could.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote