Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > RV'ing Humor & Crazy but True Stories
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:38 AM   #1

YOU MIGHT BE FROM Louisiana IF...........

1. You've ever wore shorts at Christmas time.

2. You pronounce Lafayette as "Laffy-ette" not "La-fay-ette".

3. You learned to drive a boat before you could drive a car.

4. You know the meaning of a "Delcambre Reeboks" (that would be a pair of all white fishing boots).

5. You offer somebody a "coke" and then ask them what kind: Coca-Cola, Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, 7Up?

6. You can name all of your 3rd cousins.

7. You plan your vacation around LSU football.

8. You greet people with "Ha's ya momma'an'dem?" and hear back "Dey fine!"

9. Every so often, you have waterfront property.

10. When giving directions you use words like "uptown", "downtown","backatown", riverside", "lakeside! ", "northshore", "westbank", "down the bayou" or "cross the river".

11. When you refer to a geographical location "way up North," you are referring to places like Shreveport, Little Rock or Memphis , "where it gets real cold!"

12. Your burial plot is six feet over rather than six feet under.

13. You've ever had Community Coffee.

14. You can pronounce Tchoupitoulas but can't spell it (also, Thibodaux , Opelousas , Pontchartrain, Ouachita, Atchafalaya ).

15. You don't worry when you see ships riding higher in the river than the top of your house.

16. You judge a po-boy by the number of napkins used. (Amen) You Got dat rite.

17. The waitress at your local sandwich shop tells you a fried oyster po-boy dressed is healthier than a Caesar salad.

18. You know the definition of "dressed."

19. You can eat Popeye's, Haydel's and Zapp's for lunch and wash it down with Barq's and several Abitas, without losing it all on your stoop.

20. The smell of a crawfish boil turns you on more than HBO.

21. You "wrench" your hands in the sink with an onion bar to get the crawfish smell off.

22. You're not afraid when someone wants to "ax you something."

23. You go by "ya-mom-en-'dems" on Good Friday for family supper.

24. You don't learn until high school that Mardi Gras is not a national holiday.

25. You don't realize until high school what a "county" is.

26. You believe that purple, green and gold look good together (and you will even eat things those colors).

27. You go to buy a new winter coat (what most people refer to as windbreakers)

28. Your last name isn't pronounced the way it's spelled.

29. You know what a nutria rat is but you still pick it to represent your baseball team. (Geaux Zephyrs).

30. You have a ditch on at least one side of your property.

31. You have spent a summer afternoon on the Lake Pontchartrain seawall catching blue crabs.

32. You describe a color as "K&B Purple."

33. You like your rice and politics dirty.

34. When given the choice for Governor between a KKK leader and Edwin Edwards, it's a difficult decision.

35. You pronounce the largest city in the state as "Newawlins."

36. You know those big roaches can fly, but you're able to sleep at night anyway.

37. You prefer skiing on the bayou.

38. You assume everyone has mosquito swarms in their backyard.

39. You realize the rain forest is less humid than Louisiana

40. You can list all the ingredient's of a gumbo or a jambalaya.

41. You go to the "boat", but you don't plan on spending any time over water.

42. When you're in Baton Rouge you know the difference between the old bridge & the new bridge.

43. If you ever had to wait for the bridge to "come down" so you can get home.

44. If you pull for the Saints (who else would)?

45. If you've ever been to a wedding and someone either danced in a #3 washtub or with a broom and this was considered normal.

46. You make your groceries, or, wash your dishes,or, have an icebox.

47. You can't think of anybody that can cook better than your momma.

48. You know when it's appropriate to use "Tony Chachere's" (anytime!!!!).

49. You know an old person that can "treat" you for warts.

50. The four seasons in your year are: crawfish, shrimp, crab and King Cake.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2007, 03:38 AM   #2

YOU MIGHT BE FROM Louisiana IF...........

1. You've ever wore shorts at Christmas time.

2. You pronounce Lafayette as "Laffy-ette" not "La-fay-ette".

3. You learned to drive a boat before you could drive a car.

4. You know the meaning of a "Delcambre Reeboks" (that would be a pair of all white fishing boots).

5. You offer somebody a "coke" and then ask them what kind: Coca-Cola, Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, 7Up?

6. You can name all of your 3rd cousins.

7. You plan your vacation around LSU football.

8. You greet people with "Ha's ya momma'an'dem?" and hear back "Dey fine!"

9. Every so often, you have waterfront property.

10. When giving directions you use words like "uptown", "downtown","backatown", riverside", "lakeside! ", "northshore", "westbank", "down the bayou" or "cross the river".

11. When you refer to a geographical location "way up North," you are referring to places like Shreveport, Little Rock or Memphis , "where it gets real cold!"

12. Your burial plot is six feet over rather than six feet under.

13. You've ever had Community Coffee.

14. You can pronounce Tchoupitoulas but can't spell it (also, Thibodaux , Opelousas , Pontchartrain, Ouachita, Atchafalaya ).

15. You don't worry when you see ships riding higher in the river than the top of your house.

16. You judge a po-boy by the number of napkins used. (Amen) You Got dat rite.

17. The waitress at your local sandwich shop tells you a fried oyster po-boy dressed is healthier than a Caesar salad.

18. You know the definition of "dressed."

19. You can eat Popeye's, Haydel's and Zapp's for lunch and wash it down with Barq's and several Abitas, without losing it all on your stoop.

20. The smell of a crawfish boil turns you on more than HBO.

21. You "wrench" your hands in the sink with an onion bar to get the crawfish smell off.

22. You're not afraid when someone wants to "ax you something."

23. You go by "ya-mom-en-'dems" on Good Friday for family supper.

24. You don't learn until high school that Mardi Gras is not a national holiday.

25. You don't realize until high school what a "county" is.

26. You believe that purple, green and gold look good together (and you will even eat things those colors).

27. You go to buy a new winter coat (what most people refer to as windbreakers)

28. Your last name isn't pronounced the way it's spelled.

29. You know what a nutria rat is but you still pick it to represent your baseball team. (Geaux Zephyrs).

30. You have a ditch on at least one side of your property.

31. You have spent a summer afternoon on the Lake Pontchartrain seawall catching blue crabs.

32. You describe a color as "K&B Purple."

33. You like your rice and politics dirty.

34. When given the choice for Governor between a KKK leader and Edwin Edwards, it's a difficult decision.

35. You pronounce the largest city in the state as "Newawlins."

36. You know those big roaches can fly, but you're able to sleep at night anyway.

37. You prefer skiing on the bayou.

38. You assume everyone has mosquito swarms in their backyard.

39. You realize the rain forest is less humid than Louisiana

40. You can list all the ingredient's of a gumbo or a jambalaya.

41. You go to the "boat", but you don't plan on spending any time over water.

42. When you're in Baton Rouge you know the difference between the old bridge & the new bridge.

43. If you ever had to wait for the bridge to "come down" so you can get home.

44. If you pull for the Saints (who else would)?

45. If you've ever been to a wedding and someone either danced in a #3 washtub or with a broom and this was considered normal.

46. You make your groceries, or, wash your dishes,or, have an icebox.

47. You can't think of anybody that can cook better than your momma.

48. You know when it's appropriate to use "Tony Chachere's" (anytime!!!!).

49. You know an old person that can "treat" you for warts.

50. The four seasons in your year are: crawfish, shrimp, crab and King Cake.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:02 AM   #3
Retired Senior Member

:-)

True dat!
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:47 AM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
Love it! figured most of them out to some degree, but what is #41 about?
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:12 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">4. You know the meaning of a "Delcambre Reeboks" (that would be a pair of all white fishing boots). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Cajun Reeboks"

And with as many days of rain as we have gotten lately, gotta have'um just to walk across the yard...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Love it! figured most of them out to some degree, but what is #41 about? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gambling boat..........
Old 01-30-2007, 04:14 AM   #6

dont fergit #51: You gots a Justin Wilson cookbook on the shelves and understand when it say "hot sauce to taste"
se reposer dans la paix Justin
Old 02-02-2007, 06:08 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
...and when Justin would say "Some for the cook, and some for the pot.." You would know what he was talking about. (adding wine to the cooking)

And, Nagin and Blanco are not Cajun.!!
J.S.Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:49 AM   #8

mamaloya
Close but you need to go down to Bayou Lafourche, Lafitte, Kaplan to study the Cajuns.
#4 Those boots are "shrimping" boots commonly called Air Boudreauxs.
#10 Only 3 directions in So. La., Up the Bayou, Down the Bayou and Across the Bayou.
#11 Up Nort is anything above US190.
#50 There are 6 seasons, the 4 mentioned + LSU Football and Baseball. Already had some King Cake this year and will eat a lot more before Mardi Gras is over.
I can't speak French, only cuss, count and card suits, something you need to know when playing Bourre'. But I can listen to someone speak Cajun French and tell you where they're from, Houma, Lafayette, Mamou, Delcambre, etc., they all have different little accents.
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:23 AM   #9

Dave,

Yah you rite!!!

I have not played Bourre' in years and actually never knew how it was spelled. I need to see if I can find the rules and refresh my memory so I can teach my younguns.

And Mamou, my french teacher was from there. And I know what you mean about the accents. My dh loves to hear me read the Cajun Night Before Christmas every year. My accent is not as thick anymore, but when I am mad, ooh ya betta watch out ya cher (pronounced SHA). My kids know when day in trouble. It also gets a little thicker when I am tired. During the day you really can't pick it up unless you are familiar with it. Someone actually asked me if I was from Boston on New York, go figure?

Delcambre has some good fishing huh. And king cake, hey, you gotta send me some YAH! Mmmm, dat and beignets. Mmmm, boy I miss home right now. We did find a little chinese restaurant here that has crawfish. Not zatarin's spicy, but it will work. Our waiter and many customers have consulted us on how to eat them. We go there every Sunday for about a year now. Don't know where day get dem mudbugs, but I know it ain't from home. It will do until we are home again though.

Thanks for the memories.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:41 AM   #10

mamaloya
I saw from another of your posts that you are from the Big Easy. Were you a Frat(Uptown/Lakeview/Metairie) or a Yat as in "WhereYaAt"(everywhere else on the Eastbank)) especially in da Pearish aka St. Benawd. They talk like they're from Bwooklun. Miss Sue is from Old Gretna and when traveling,has been asked many times if she's from NY also.
Going to our FMCA chapter rally in Rayne next week where the membership is from every section of the state but mainly South + Tx, Ok, Ar, Ms, Al and Fl. A serious melting pot of different accents.
Priority now is securing our MH parking spot on the local suburban Mardi Gras parade route this coming weekend. 1st come 1st serve.
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:50 PM   #11

Well, I am sort of a frat yat. I was born in Metairie, raised in Destrehan, lived in Kenner, River Ridge, Covington, New Orleans (2x) and last lived in Venice, LA for about 2 yrs which is below "da parish", but day talk da same. I lived in Hawaii for almost 2 yrs when I was 21-23yo and have now been in NC for just over a year. dh is in the process of getting stationed at Ft. Polk near Leesville and I am hoping that they go through. I miss home. You can take the girl out of NO, but you can't take NO out of the girl.

BTW, 3 of my kids were born at Lakeside hospital in Metairie, 2 were born at Lakeview in Covington, and 1 at Mercy Baptist in NO. I assume Lakeview fared well and Mercy did not, do you know how Lakeside did. I was born there as well btw.