Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Campground Operators
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-08-2003, 03:28 PM   #1

We are being hounded by BMI for their license fee that they say we are required to pay. They want $325.00 for us to have a DJ twice a year and another $200.00 for us to have a band. Campers do not come to our campground because of this entertainment, they come to camp and the entertainment is just a plus. Is anyone else frustrated with this fee? We asked BMI to send us proof that we are required to pay this fee, but have not recieved anything yet?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2003, 03:28 PM   #2

We are being hounded by BMI for their license fee that they say we are required to pay. They want $325.00 for us to have a DJ twice a year and another $200.00 for us to have a band. Campers do not come to our campground because of this entertainment, they come to camp and the entertainment is just a plus. Is anyone else frustrated with this fee? We asked BMI to send us proof that we are required to pay this fee, but have not recieved anything yet?
Old 06-08-2003, 05:24 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Location: FULLTIMERS - currently wintering in Rochester, NY - Goin\' places, Makin\' friends, Havin\' fun!
First of all, I see it's your first post. Welcome to iRV2.

Man, I didn't realize that folks had to pay that kind of money for the priviledge of paying a band. I did an Internet search and found this BMI contract for campgrounds: http://www.bmi.com/licensing/forms/rvparksmult.pdf

I would sure suggest getting a legal opinion before shelling that out each year.

Dave George

<LI> Register Here for National * Order iRV2 Stickers Here
<LI>2003 40' TRAVEL SUPREME Triple Slide Homepage <LI>1999.5 FORD F-450 PSD w/Fontaine Bed Photo Albums
<LI>NASCAR FANS - GO Jarrett #88 & B Labonte #18
[b]NASCAR FANS - Carl Edwards #99 & Ryan Newman #12![/col
Old 06-09-2003, 02:27 AM   #4

I had a friend that owned a neighborhood bar with a jukebox, and an occasional band from the local area, and he paid it.

Didn't like it, but said it was just a part of doing business.

The BMI reasons are, if you use the music written by artists, you must pay them for the use of this music.

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged...´
Old 06-09-2003, 06:56 PM   #5

Went round and round with those idiots here. Our DJ has his own BMI licence as he owns the local radio station. The bands we get in also have there own licence. They tried to nail us because we played music in the store and resrooms and i told them to pound sand and read there sdtupid rule book as we were following there guidlines begrudgingly i might add. No more than 4 speaker in the building. Just another form of legalized extorsion whice we are forced to deal with in this business. And the SOB's register just like a normal camper and then check you out!!!! That is the worst part. I HATE sneaky people!!!!

2003.25 F250 Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 6spd 6.0PSD 3.73 Dark Shadow Grey
My Truck Our Campground Southeast Diesel rally North Florida Dealer for Western Diesel Performance, Ultra Hitch goosneck adapters American fuel/tool tanks and Jordan Brake Controllers. Dieseltorque Website
Old 06-16-2003, 11:53 AM   #6

The alternative is to stop advertising and using music in your brochure, website, events lists, etc.

Then, they'll leave you alone.

I agree it's a rip off. And it doesn't matter if the DJ or band have their own lisence, you as the business owner, are required by law to have one.

Instead of a DJ, if you have a CD player, and the teens play their own CDs, you don't need a lisence. But, if you HIRE a DJ, you have to have one. Law says so.

And, if you have a talent show where people play for free, then you don't need one, but if you hire a band, you need one.

So, get creative!

Robyn Chilson
Old 06-18-2003, 05:24 PM   #7

According to BMI as long as the artist/DJ has there own licence we do not have to have one. They did harrass a camper of ours that was playing and singing a Hank JR song at the campfire one night and told us to tell her to stop or we would be fined. I never asked her to play!!!!!! Didn't matter to these jerks!

2003.25 F250 Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 6spd 6.0PSD 3.73 Dark Shadow Grey
My Truck Our Campground Southeast Diesel rally North Florida Dealer for Western Diesel Performance, Ultra Hitch goosneck adapters American fuel/tool tanks and Jordan Brake Controllers. Dieseltorque Website
Old 12-07-2004, 05:07 PM   #8

Good day all,

My wife & I have been teaching dancing & dj'ng over 11 years now & have always had a BMI/ASCAP license. I've never been asked for it, but pay every year. Just another business expense. Most folks could probrably get away without having one, but if you do a search on the net I don't think you will find an instance where the music industry has lost a case they brought against someone.

Artist turn over the collection of royalties to companies to handle. ASCAP & BMI are two, but there are several others. I think the bottom line is if you are making money by playing music, you had better have a license.

I get mine from the American Callers Association (americancallers.com) Their rates are very reasonable, & the peace of mind is worth it.