Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Campground Operators
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-01-2004, 02:20 AM   #1

After several episodes with rude people and unrully children I have a suggestion for the Campground Owners out there .They need to add a couple of rules about respecting other peoples sites, as in Do Not walk through other campers sites.If it doesn't belong to you don't mess with it! It seems that good manners are not taught anymore at home or school, so you can't assume that the parents will teach the kids.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2004, 02:20 AM   #2

After several episodes with rude people and unrully children I have a suggestion for the Campground Owners out there .They need to add a couple of rules about respecting other peoples sites, as in Do Not walk through other campers sites.If it doesn't belong to you don't mess with it! It seems that good manners are not taught anymore at home or school, so you can't assume that the parents will teach the kids.

Old 07-24-2004, 09:04 PM   #3

It doesn't accomplish anything for a campground operator to have a list of rules if they are not enforced on a consistent basis. The campground where I am spending this summer has their rules posted in several locations, and they also give each guest a list of CG rules when they check in. Unfortunately, that is where it stops because the owners will not enforce the rules. I have actually heard the owners complain to each other about dogs running loose through the CG or about unruly behavior from the guests, but would not enforce the rules that were being blatantly violated. Go figure!
Old 07-25-2004, 02:27 AM   #4

Not rules but include handout with generally accepted "campground ettiquette" tips. With the notation that they are generally accepted customs like picking up after your pets (how to pick up and what to do with it after you pick it up), leashes usually 6-8 ft (not the run out kind), dump station ettiquette/how to dump, generally accepted quiet time, respecting occupied sites, etc. Many new (and experienced) Rver's don't know these thing and don't know where to find the info.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:03 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lorna, the probelm withe hand-out is that all to many people will simply trash them or have the attitude that they could never apply to someone as wonderful as they are. They anly apply to other people. The peopel that need to read them are the ones that don't, won't or can't.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 07-25-2004, 09:35 AM   #6

If that's the case, then it doesn't make any sense at all to have rules.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:33 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lorna. it is a sad comment on todays society. Most of the RVers are good folks and follow the rules. A few don't and no matter what you do short of kicking them out, will not obey any rules. One place we stayed a few years back made you sign a copy of the rule sheet when you checked in and told you to make sure all of the kids and spouse knew the rules applied to them as well. The park owners patrolled the place pretty regularly and did enforce the rules and did kick a few out.

It goes back to the owner...they have to be will ing to enforce the rules to make them mean anything.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 07-27-2004, 08:50 PM   #8

Amen...rules need to be followed and enforced. The campground at White's City NM is a good one. One night I saw a night guard patrolling the ground checking license plates. I stopped him and asked him how often does he find one that's not on his list and he replied about once a week. He then makes them leave and if they give him any fuss they call the local Sheriff's Office and press charges. I'm just like anyone else...when I go camping I'm wanting a good, piece and quiet time.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:19 PM   #9

Rules....Rules....rules

A double edged sword. IF a campground has "rules" and they are enforced people complain. If a campground doesn't have rules, people complain.

If the rules aren't enforced, people complain.

We can't have it all ways, as I see it. Personally I dont' mind rules and their enforcement as long as there is equity in their enforcement, and I'll never complain about a campground that meets this requirement.

Rules are part of the "contract" between me (the leasee of the site) and the campground management (leasor of the site). If I dont' care for the rules then I should move on to someplace else that I do like.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:38 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I like Lorna's suggestion. Yes there will always be someone who does not follow the rules. However there are people who are new to rving or just never had the experience to understand campground ettiquette. For example I do not like people walking through my campsite. But this might seem very natural to someone who lives in a city apartment. Their perception of personal space might be just the interior of their rv. My perception of personal space includes "my yard". If you pass out the sheets, some will read them and it might change their habits.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:42 AM   #11

Nor'easters Club
I agree with Lorna and Lynn. When we started RVing 8 years ago, I had no idea that it was not acceptable to cut through another campsite. I read and learned that information here on this forum and our kids now know they go as far out of their way as necessary to avoid any occupied site. (And they do - I watch them).

It's funny. Now I notice when someone else cuts through mine and would never have given it a second thought before enlightenment .
Old 07-31-2004, 01:47 AM   #12

Interesting post.I think most people are as considerate of rules/neighbors in a campground ,as they are at home.
Many people think your kids & pets should obey the rules, but theirs are pefect & allowed to do as they please.We actually like being camped next to a family & have met some nice people.I applaud the parents who take time to teach & enforce their own /campground rules.Again, it goes back to the home. Children who are polite/respectful at home, will be the same away.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:59 AM   #13

My name is Scott and I am a recovering "cut thru" person. Seriously,until a couple of years ago I didnt know it was an issue.
I think Lorna's idea of commonly accepted etiquette is a great idea.
Having said all that, exactly what rules are there for dump stations ?
Old 07-31-2004, 08:56 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I read and learned that information here on this forum and our kids now know they go as far out of their way as necessary to avoid any occupied site. (And they do - I watch them).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't (unless there is a dog tied up outside..don't want to make him bark or make the owner uneasy). We camp at several places that have long lines of campers, and we have always (as have other campers) cut through, staying as close to the back of the camper away from the campsite as possible. People cut through mine all the time..again, hugging the farthest area from our campground. Until I started camping with IRV2 groups, I never knew it was an issue for some. Kids cut through ours, and again, they hug the side, If they have their bike, we do ask they get off and walk them.

I laugh when I think of going to the campstore or laundrymat from our home c2c campground and walking around..we would have to walk about 20 RV's down and then up 20 or so more...and that's just if we were in the front row. I'd not remember what I was going for, by the time I got there. Everyone does it, and no one seems to mind..they all seem to be a frirndly bunch.