Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Campground Operators
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-12-2003, 05:03 PM   #1

Hi... for those out there who manage campgrounds. Do you get days off or do you expect to work 7 days a week?

"Life is too short! We are traveling while we can."

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2003, 05:03 PM   #2

Hi... for those out there who manage campgrounds. Do you get days off or do you expect to work 7 days a week?

Old 08-25-2003, 03:39 PM   #3

Well... lots of looks, but no answers.

That's ok, we decided to get out of management and back to 5 days a week work.

Life is WAY too short to work the hours we've been putting in 7 days a week, week after week, even if seasonal.

Old 08-25-2003, 05:57 PM   #4

I think I looked at this question when you first posed it. I didn't reply for two reasons. 1-I wanted to see what others said, and 2-I wanted to think about it for a while.

My take on this is... If I was hired to manage a campground I would want a 5&2 schedule, just like everyone else. Now if the owner wanted 7 day coverage, then I'd want three 8 hour days and four 4 hour days. It's still 40 hours a week, but it gives me some time off also. There's no way I'll work with no time off, besides I think FLRB (Federal Labor Relations Board) might have something to say about that.

Rich & Kim, Oreo too
<font color=blue>F250 Supercab</font>, <font color=#33ccff>Prowler 5ver,</font> <font color=black>TrailAir pinbox</font>
<color=yellow>Solar</font>, <font color=#669966>Makita Genset</font>
<font color=blue>WHR Blue Mesa Ranch,</font><font color=red> Colorado Springs CO</font>

<A HREF="http://rk-enterprises.home.att.net">RV Hints and Tips

<font color=blue>F250 Supercab</font>, <font color=#33ccff>Prowler 5ver,</font>,</font><font color=red> Colorado Springs CO</font>
Old 08-26-2003, 05:23 AM   #5

I do not own but what I find is the family owned campgrounds, run by the family, they work 24/7. The larger campgrounds with employees tend to work 5 day weeks but the days off are usually Monday/Tuesday or Tuesday Weds., the slower days.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:51 AM   #6

As an owner we made a decision to work 24/7. We have a limited amount of money and we can put it into labor or improvements. If we spend it on labor we lock ourselves into a business that for all intent and purposes will stay at they same level. Money spent on improvements can build a stronger/better customer base. At least thats they way we are doing things.

Someone working for themselves will work harder and longer than a person working for someone else. Its human nature. That is one reason why a communist society doesn't grow as well as an entreprunurial system. I don't want to get into politiacal stuff so I'll leave it at that.

We are a small park and I assume that is the type of operation that the original question was directed to. The big boys can actually take time off and let someone else watch the place for a day or two. In a small park with managers I don't think you can keep somebody motivated that does not have a steak in the business when you work them 24/7. They are there with the attitude that work supports the things they want to do in life, An owner on the other hand looks at building something bigger than just a job. He/she might also be willing to sacrifice in order to be their own boss, to make the calls and try their own style of running a place. In short to not have to answer to a boss or punch a time clock.

Terry
Sallisaw OK KOA
Old 08-26-2003, 09:46 AM   #7

Hi, actually it was a large area. We are managers for 13 campground with 356 sites. We have been told we shouldn't expect time off because the campgrounds are only open 7 months and we have 5 months in which to have time to ourselves.

I just wanted to see if we were being unreasonable in our expections of days off.

Old 08-27-2003, 06:30 AM   #8

My personal opinion (my wifes may differ) is that for a seasonal park that is only open 7 months that the owners will expect you to be there 24/7. Since the season is limited the owners will be looking to get as much accomplished in season as possible knowing there is plenty of time to play later.

I grew up on a farm and knew that we worked during the growing season. My guess is the owners you work for look at this in a simular way.

If I were the owner and was looking to hire a manager, I would want to make sure that everyone understood the requirements for the job. I personally don't think its to much to ask of a manager assumming that the compensation is fair. I spent several years later in life managing a part of a large corn wheat and alfalfa farm. We worked 16-18 hour days 7 days a week. Once in a great while a rainy day would slow things down during the sumer but we knew that the winter would provide lots of play time so it was worth it. Each has to make the call for themselves.

Terry
Sallisaw OK KOA
Old 08-27-2003, 11:37 AM   #9

Now the next question, is the compensation equal to the time required to complete the task.
I can understand an owner working 24/7 as he will benift from all the profit that the organization produces, so the harder the owner works the greater the profit should be in the buisness if it is succesful. If the compensation is based only on the seven month work year, then you may be free to do what you want for 5 Months, but at your own expense, unless you were compensated enough durring the 7 months that you worked to have enough left over to live on durring the 5 months off. Now if the pay is based on an hourly rate the 16-18 hour days would mean a nice pay day if you worked 7 days per week. Now if you are on a set rate of pay per month then you better negotiate a good rate to start with so you can be compensated fairly. In other words don't assume anything when you take the job. Make sure all details are covered and you understand what is expected of you and what you expect in return.

Just my thoughts

George

adjuster
Old 08-27-2003, 05:59 PM   #10

I agree that as an owner, the expectations are different.

We are on salary. We put in so many hours that we get less than minimum wage. 7 am to 10 pm is the norm.

Not worth it to us. If you are going to ask alot of your people, pay for it.

We don't mind hard work, we do mind being taken advantage of simply because of the sheer number of workampers who are willing to work for peanuts.

We found a new job for next season and the owner couldn't wait to assure us of 2 days off a week. He couldn't believe we were working 7 days a week and stated (correctly) that you don't get the best out of your people when you burn them out.

No, we didn't hire on agreeing to no days off. The contract calls for an assistant manager. Somehow one never got hired.

Sure we could have walked out on our commitment, it's just not the way we work.

Anyway... Thanks for the responses submitted. We appreciate the time you all took.

Old 09-27-2003, 04:55 AM   #11

Owners usually expect to put in 24/7 because it is their livelyhood. But they also like time off. A relief manager gives them this opportuniy. Usually a relief manager works two days a week, usually weekends.

Managers usually work five days a week and assistant managers work two days a week. But this can vary based on need and availability.

See who I am:

http://pages.ivillage.com/workersonthego/

Old 10-31-2003, 09:12 AM   #12

We have managed for several years and the first time it seemed difficult to take time off. However as the hosts got better and better and knew what our policies were then we never had any problems taking time off.

We take at least 2 days a week off and any other time we want. In order to do that however, you must have good hosts and they must understand the program.

A manager will "burn out" without time off. That has never been a problem for us and our company considers us one of, if not the best of, their managers. They have offered us any management job we want in the organization. Our campground runs smoothly, profitable, no host problems or camper problem and no complaints to the FS for the last 3 years.

Perhaps I should say no host or camper problems that we could not satisfactorily handle within the rules. Our hosts seem to love us and we have problems getting them all spaces to come back. We can use only so many at one time.

If the company you work for wants to keep good managers they must understand managing. I have heard there is a big turnover with them but have not known why. Maybe you just told me.

CR