Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Campground Operators
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-18-2003, 04:47 PM   #1

As most of us here on the board are obviously quite computer addicted, there are several threads dealing with the issue of at site internet service.

I'm curious if any of you have plans to implement some sort of service, or let the customer find their own way on this?

Reason I ask, for the most part the customer has been forced to fend for themselves, but big dollar solutions like Motosat have most of us priced out of the market, and cell technology is still quite limited in this scope.

I've been reading with interest about LINK SPOT but see they don't have a lot of campgrounds on-board for this service. According to their website the campground can even make some money from this too, curious why more campgrounds are not on to this service?

*Cliff*
2004 Trail Cruiser C-23B
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Gone Camping " net
Victory Lane Online
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.

2004 Trail Cruiser C-23B
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2003, 04:47 PM   #2

As most of us here on the board are obviously quite computer addicted, there are several threads dealing with the issue of at site internet service.

I'm curious if any of you have plans to implement some sort of service, or let the customer find their own way on this?

Reason I ask, for the most part the customer has been forced to fend for themselves, but big dollar solutions like Motosat have most of us priced out of the market, and cell technology is still quite limited in this scope.

I've been reading with interest about LINK SPOT but see they don't have a lot of campgrounds on-board for this service. According to their website the campground can even make some money from this too, curious why more campgrounds are not on to this service?

*Cliff*
2004 Trail Cruiser C-23B
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Gone Camping " net
Victory Lane Online

2004 Trail Cruiser C-23B
Old 08-19-2003, 02:38 AM   #3

Sorry, not a CG owner, but I too need Internet access wherever I go. Link Spot is a per day type thing, like now available in a lot of hotels (in a wire form). The rates for Link Spot are: $2.95 per hour, $5.95 per day, 25.00 per week, or $50.00 per month, but each 'sale' is for a single CG. So, the monthly rate is no good for those that have to move every 2 weeks between membership campgrounds. I will say the rates are lower than the hotels (usually about 10.00), but the speed will be slower due to wi-fi limitations (for now).
There is also another wi-fi company looking at CGs, Hotspotzz has an agreement with KOA so that if you use Koa Konnect as your ISP, the charge to use the Hotspotzz network is waved. So, for the standard $19.99 monthly charge, you get both a national dialup ISP and a wireless plan. (FYI, you can signup directly with Hotspotzz for $16.95, but you don't get the dialup access. (Just checked, and they do have a 19.95/month plan with dialup.) This type of charge is more mangeable for RVers. Plus, you can use it at other locations, like airports, that get on the band wagon. For those occasional users, the Hotspotzz network let's the CG sell 1, 4, or 24 hour scratch cards that are good at the current location (maybe any location) and the CG can keep the full proceeds from the sale.
I for one hope the CGs go with a system like Hotpotzz instead of LinkSpot.

To CG owners: This setup of a WiFi network is going to require an initial $ outlay, and I don't know what these guys are charging for that, but the real cost is the DSL monthly connection. Although this would work with a cable modem, the last I knew, the cable modem companies prohibited reselling their service. But, as a CG, you could always hook a WiFi access point to your cable modem and just leave the access unencrypted. Anybody can use it. If you already have a cable modem, then the $ outlay may be minor if your CG is setup so that the small base unit antennas are all that is required.

29' Four Winds 29QB/Pac-n-Play, '01 GMC Savana 3500 Extended Hi-Top Conversion, 8.1L

(fka TonyT)
Old 08-19-2003, 06:12 PM   #4

Looks good, but they have no enabled places in my state? Linkspot is based here in Virginia... I don't really want monthly access, I have a cable modem at home, and the daily rate at $6 is resonable enough for me. Actually, if campgrounds would hop on the band wagon with EITHER one of these that would be fine by me. I just need access, and would prefer that from the comfort of my RV, not lugging the laptop to the modem port and waiting in line for a brief session.

Both look good to me, the more the merrier!

*Cliff*
2004 Trail Cruiser C-23B
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Gone Camping " net
Victory Lane Online

2004 Trail Cruiser C-23B