Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Campground Operators
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-11-2005, 07:39 PM   #1

I am wondering how many campground owners out there charge sales tax on the overnight sites. When we camped, most of the campgrounds we stayed in did charge sales tax on each site.
We do charge sales tax on our longer term sites because they are at a discounted rate to begin with.
Are there any states that charge a "hospitality tax" (as in the room tax added onto a hotel bill) in addition to sales tax on campground sites? I know that it has been suggested in some of the states, but have not heard anything about it being implemented.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2005, 07:39 PM   #2

I am wondering how many campground owners out there charge sales tax on the overnight sites. When we camped, most of the campgrounds we stayed in did charge sales tax on each site.
We do charge sales tax on our longer term sites because they are at a discounted rate to begin with.
Are there any states that charge a "hospitality tax" (as in the room tax added onto a hotel bill) in addition to sales tax on campground sites? I know that it has been suggested in some of the states, but have not heard anything about it being implemented.

Old 02-25-2005, 06:09 PM   #3

Baroness, When we managed a park in Apache Junction, AZ last year anybody staying for a short term paid a higher % rate than the ones staying longer.
Just trying to get everybody to stay a little longer I guess.
Peaceful
Old 02-26-2005, 04:38 PM   #4

I'm curious as to how you can decide whether or not to charge sales tax. My belief was it was either the law or not. How can you decide to charge sales tax on sites because they are lower cost? Don't understand, in all the area's I've lived/stayed in, the law determines whether tax is charged????
Old 02-27-2005, 07:26 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

In the parks where we have worked (all in the Northeast), the park has been required by state law to charge sales tax and also a "bed tax" if there was one in that area. Some states consider a campground site the same as a motel room, an interpretation that seems to be more common in the high-tax East than elsewhere. Long term stays were generally exempt, though, because rental housing is not usually sales taxed. In the places where we have worked, any period of a month or longer was considered long term for tax purposes.

As Texas Bubba says, state law determines what is or is not taxed, so you need to check with your state's tax authorities.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Old 02-28-2005, 09:04 AM   #6

We are taxed but just include it so the customer know what the rate will be ahead of time.

Apple Hill RV Park Brookings Oregon
Old 03-03-2005, 07:36 AM   #7
mpj

In Missouri, we are required to collect tax on any stays less than 30 days. We have a state tax, city tax, and hospitality tax. If we don't collect it, we still have to pay it. We do not charge tax on monthly stays. We have been to other states where you are charged tax on monthly and tax is included in the daily. We did not like that idea for us because the tax can and does change. Besides, trying to extract the tax amount to pay the piper would be difficult. Last year our count voted in a 1/2 % during our winter hiatus, which we nothing about until we got the paper work in mid season. Check with your city and state officials. In most states it is a required tax.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:39 PM   #8

Texas Bubba - we are actually charging the overnighters the sales tax, it is included in the site fee and therefore give the campers their discount.
We pay our state taxes on a monthly basis and ALL sites are included in that statement. Our overnighters are actually paying a discounted price + the 7% state tax. They are informed that for the nightly price, tax is included.
I have checked on the tax for long term campers (we have contractors here for 6 months-1year or longer) and was informed that the tax is paid on ALL sites, no matter how long the camper is there.
As I said before, these sites are reduced to about 1/2 the nightly site, so we add the 7% tax on top of the rate fee.
It may sound confusing, but it is really easy on the books.

baroness94