Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Campground Operators
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-07-2004, 04:08 PM   #15

Found this thread interesting.In our case,Fl isn't what it used to be in several ways.Traffic is bad,prices are out of sight & we needed heat most days from Nov-March.There was a time when it was cheaper to be in Fl,than to pay utilities in the North.Those times are past.I think a lot of people just can't afford to be snowbirds for months. We met several couples spending one month.Also noted the Lakeland park was about 1/2 empty most of the wk.Adding the cost of electric to the campground fee,along with fuel costs & it's no wonder home looks better & better.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2004, 05:40 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Justme:
Found this thread interesting.In our case,Fl isn't what it used to be in several ways.Traffic is bad,prices are out of sight & we needed heat most days from Nov-March.There was a time when it was cheaper to be in Fl,than to pay utilities in the North.Those times are past.I think a lot of people just can't afford to be snowbirds for months. We met several couples spending one month.Also noted the Lakeland park was about 1/2 empty most of the wk.Adding the cost of electric to the campground fee,along with fuel costs & it's no wonder home looks better & better. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Justme I just spent November to date in Florida. This was our first year to winter in Florida and we found it considerably cheaper than NY where we came from.
We arrived in Florida on November 1st and stayed in 9 different campgrounds from 2 days to 2 weeks. Most all of these campgrounds had NO VACANCIES for the winter months. The 3rd week of December we finally found a campground near Davenport for the 4th week of December, January and February, about 25 miles up 92 from Lakeland, and this campground was full most all of January and February. From our point of view $299 + electric per month was cheap. We had a pull-thru site with a huge concrete pad for the 5er and patio. Also had all the other amenities, no pool, that you'll find at the other more expensive campgrounds.
Over the past 4 months we have spoken to snowbirds from Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, New York and 3 Canadian provinces and many said they were extending there stays in winter 2004/05. I know we will be back in 04/05, only this time we will have our reservations in place well in advance.

Old 04-08-2004, 03:04 PM   #17

The thread was about Fl, but you'll find the same prices every where. $299 a mo is cheap. In Rockledge,near family..we payed $648.That includes our electric.In Lakeland,I think it was $450.Neither park was a golfing community or destination park.In my opinion,it all comes down to what ppl can afford or are willing to pay.No need for me to defend Fl...it's a state that has so much going for it.We started vacationing there in the 70's & have spent every other winter there for the last 16 yrs.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:00 AM   #18

Have any of you used the "seasonal" rates? Most of the snowbirds we meet are only there when they can get the "seasonal rate" usually for 6 months (or something like that) ... then they head home. They will not get there early or stay late because they don't want to pay the monthly prices....

Old 08-26-2004, 02:41 PM   #19

My wife is a travel nurse and we have wanted to come to Fla. for the winter for some time and everyone we talk to says that if we don't already have a site down there that it is hard to find one. Also a lot of folks have told us that it's very expensive down your way. Your park sure looks inviting judging just from what I see from your post. We are in New Mexico and not many trees around.
Gary