Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Campground Operators
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-13-2002, 05:57 PM   #1

This is the worst December ever for Florida. All the parks i talk to are way down in campernights. I drove for about 3 hours yesterday and maybe saw 15-20 rv's. Usually you could not count them and drive at the same time! Where is everyone this year?? Gonna play in the snow?? I have all the snowbird sites full or reserved right now but i am starting to think i should use some of my overnight sites for snowbirds also.

2000 F250 4x4 6spd PSD 3.73 Western Diesel Chip, Guages & Ram-Air.
My Truck 83,000 Miles. My Campground Southeast Diesel rally North Florida Dealer for Western Diesel Performance, Ultra Hitch goosneck adapters American fuel/tool tanks and Jordan Brake Controllers.

Got rid of my junk 03 6.0 diesel!!!!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2002, 05:57 PM   #2

This is the worst December ever for Florida. All the parks i talk to are way down in campernights. I drove for about 3 hours yesterday and maybe saw 15-20 rv's. Usually you could not count them and drive at the same time! Where is everyone this year?? Gonna play in the snow?? I have all the snowbird sites full or reserved right now but i am starting to think i should use some of my overnight sites for snowbirds also.

My Truck 83,000 Miles. My Campground Southeast Diesel rally North Florida Dealer for Western Diesel Performance, Ultra Hitch goosneck adapters American fuel/tool tanks and Jordan Brake Controllers.

Old 12-13-2002, 06:22 PM   #3

Wish I could take a vacation to Florida, but my work schedule says no.(So does the money )
One reason may be because here in Wisconsin, all we've had is flurries. You can see in my temp bar how warm it is here. Normally, I would have been out three or four times with my snowmobile.
Doesn't look like it's going to be a white X-mas, either.

Jim and Linda
Christopher, TJ and Tiffany
93 Caravan
90 F150 4X4
85 Palomino MXL

Jim and the Crew
Old 12-13-2002, 06:57 PM   #4

mjstef,
How's it look for a site in your campgrounds for the end of Jan or first part of Feb.?

The wife and I have been thinking of heading to Florida about then. We have traveled to 25 of the states but never to Florida.

Yeah, I know we're one of the few retirees that don't go to Florida, but I hate crowds and everyone tells me it is full in the winter.

Ron

2003 36' Gulf Stream Yellowstone Silver Edition Country Club DP w/Full Body Paint, 330hp Cat., 3000MH Allison, Freightliner XC Chassis, Towing 1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition w/Blue Ox Towing Acc.

Old 12-13-2002, 07:16 PM   #5

Matt,

I've made several MH trips south, east and west of Gainesville over the last several months. I've noticed a steady increase in MH, 5vr, TT traffic on I-75, 441, 27, etc.

So, I think they're here but, maybe further south this year?

Lew
Gainesville, FL - '97 Infinity, Class A, 36'. . . fulltime financial advisor, Weekend RV Florida Boomer. Sima (riding shotgun)plus two rude, crude mutts! Visit my professional website at: www.yourfinancialplanneronline.com

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Old 12-13-2002, 07:56 PM   #6

The snowbirds must be on the way We just made reservations for Coral Reef State Park and the earliest we could get a 7 day reservation was March 30.

Jim & Diane
31.5ft Hitchhiker 31.5 LKTGK
350 PSD Dually Crewcab

SKP# 61097

All who wander are not lost.

31.5ft Hitchhiker 31.5 LKTGK
Old 12-14-2002, 01:22 AM   #7

We spent 3 nights in Crystal River last weekend, and I am wondering if anyone is left to shovel the snow in Michigan or Canada!!!

98 Winnebago Adventurer 30WQ P30 V7400
Check out the Florida Boomers!

Check out the Florida Boomers!
Old 12-14-2002, 01:39 AM   #8

Just spent 3 months at Almost Heaven RV Park in Manvel, TX and they were at 95% + all the time, even while it was hot.

03 Mako 5er, 99 Ford F250SD Auto. Minature Snauzer as co-pilot and "Brat".
Old 12-14-2002, 03:44 AM   #9

Many snowbirds are still in Canada, freezing.

First of all, many of us won't go south this winter mainly because of the exchange rate for US money.

Others that used to go for 3-4 months will shorten their stay to one or two months only.

Finaly, Texas is a much cheaper destination.

This is the real explanation...beleive me.

Sept 2001 has nothing to do with our decision. Florida is just too expensive for me at this time.

94 Firan Raven 31Ft. P30, partly paid for :-)
Visit my web sites ( in French ) at http://www3.sympatico.ca/galant/messites.html
My English is not up to par :-((

Visit my web sites ( in French ) at http://www3.sympatico.ca/galant/messites.html
Old 12-14-2002, 04:24 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Location: FULLTIMERS - currently wintering in Rochester, NY - Goin\' places, Makin\' friends, Havin\' fun!
Tania and I are at Secret Lake RV Resort in Kissimmee for the second winter in a row and the Canadian presence here is down significantly this year. And, we haven't seen the rigs on the roads around this area like last year either (West 192, 27, I-4)

Was talking to a gal from Toronto in the landrymat last week who related the high cost coming to Florida because of the exchange rates. I certainly can appreciate what they are faced with but I thought the Canadian exchange rates have been at 60 to 65% on the US dollar for some time now. Maybe the slower world wide economy is taking it toll everywhere.

I know there was a concern last year about whether or not our great friends to the North would even be able to stay in the US for the 4 to 6 months they normally spent here but that issue was resolved between the countries.

Now, that said, Central Florida just announced that tax receipts on hotel rooms rose 30% during November! Didn't happen in the convention business though. Tania's tip income for November was the lowest it's been since she started last January.

Dave

<LI> Register Here for National * Order iRV2 Stickers Here
<LI>1998 40' TRAVEL SUPREME Triple Slide Homepage <LI>1999.5 FORD F-450 PSD w/Fontaine Bed Photo Albums
<LI>NASCAR FANS - GO Jarrett #88 & B Labonte #18
[b]NASCAR FANS - Carl Edwards #99 & Ryan Newman #12![/col
Old 12-14-2002, 05:50 AM   #11

Forgot to mention the very high cost of health insurance when we go south.

Last year, for a planned 4 1/2 month stay, the cost was close to 2000 Can $. Of course, age and health condition are different from one individual to another. In my case, seems that I'm a bad risk due to previous heart problems and we are both in the 60-65 year old range.

Add that up and you will understand that many canadians just can't afford the States anymore.

Don't think for one instant that we realy enjoy our canadian winter. If Jacques Cartier had known how to navigate, we wouldn't be here

94 Firan Raven 31Ft. P30, partly paid for :-)
My English is not up to par :-(

Old 12-14-2002, 02:04 PM   #12

GStream36,
Should not be a problem. Shoot me an e-mail or give me a ring.
We see a large influx at the end of every month as a lot of folks start there stay on the 1st of the month further south. I guess i can see the problem with cost. We had quite a few Canadians make reservations here on the way home last spring as we are way cheeper than the camppgrounds further south and our sites are much larger.
Part of the problem here with lack of people is people using Triple A trip tics. Those idiots at Triple A route people going from the eastern seaboard to the Tampa area down 95 to 295 to I-10 to 75 instead of 95 to A1A to 301 to 75. That wastes peoples time and Money as it is about 30 miles out of the way! They route you this way to avoid Lawtey and Waldo. 2 speed traps. But guess what??? If you don't speed, through those towns you won't have a problem! DUH Triple A!!!!

Old 12-14-2002, 04:55 PM   #13
doc

Appalachian Campers
Hey Stef, We are heading back north from Tampa on the 30th. If we stop by for a day or so to say hello can you find us a spot? I use to truck through Starke in another life, not been there in years. Also the Welaka and Palatka area.

doc
Old 12-24-2002, 09:11 AM   #14

Hey doc,
Drop in and see us. I'll save a spot for you. Sorry i didn't reply sooner. I just got back from Illinois today.
Matt