Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Campground Operators
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-05-2005, 05:47 AM   #29
mpj

As a park owner, we have installed WIFI and offer it free. We have to pay the DSL fees each month (whether we are open or not), router and modem, additional antenna for shooting the signal into our park. Total costs so far are approximately $2,000 as we have a tech who knows more about it than we do install the antenna so that we will know that it does work. While traveling, we have had to pay for WIFI ($10.50 per week)at one park and the service was very poor. We are curretntly at a park which offers it free, but the signal is weak and we are often dropped. Right now the signal is good. We are going to strive not to have the problems we have encountered. However, if you (Campground owner)have FREE WIFI, you will have people come to you who are not your paying customers. We have had people in cars park in our park to access our signal. We have asked them to leave. They are staying at the competition who does not offer WIFI. We told them to stay with us and they would have availability to it. We have now placed a Code on it so that others cannot use it - only our customers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2005, 07:14 PM   #30

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>posted February 05, 2005 09:47 AM by mpj
As a park owner, we have installed WIFI and offer it free. We have to pay the DSL fees each month (whether we are open or not), router and modem, additional antenna for shooting the signal into our park. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you mpj. Can you tell me where your park is and I will visit if I am in your area. Can you compare the cost of this improvement (the WiFi) to other improvements (a pool), initial outlay and operating cost. I and others say it cost no more but I really don't know. Thanks...

Old 02-13-2005, 04:30 AM   #31

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
The Fayetteville KOA of I95 in Wade, NC now offer free wifi.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:52 PM   #32

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I am not going to say they should 'all' offer it for free. Some may not have access to high speed internet or if so, it may be cost-prohibitive. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
They should if they want to get the camper who might go to the motel instead. The way to make it cost-effective is to charge the monthly customers a small fee while offering it free to nightlies.

Old 02-15-2005, 05:02 AM   #33
mpj

I have responded privatedly - via email - to this party regarding our location. In regards to his question on cost compared to other improvements. It has cost us - so far $2,500. We have a wooded campground so when the leaves come out we may have to add a repeater. Our current antenna is strong - 4 miles - so we do not anticipate this additional cost. Our pool is by far the most expensive item we have, followed by roads. We have to pay the monthly DSL charge of $30 or $35. We decided to use a local tech to set up the system rather than go through the local cable system. We feel the service is better. Additional expenses would involve the replacement of the equipment should a thunderstorm take it out. We sometimes get lightening with out thunderstorms. Hope this helps others.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:04 AM   #34

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sierra75142:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I am not going to say they should 'all' offer it for free. Some may not have access to high speed internet or if so, it may be cost-prohibitive. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The way to make it cost-effective is to charge the monthly customers a small fee while offering it free to nightlies. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Stricltly from a business standpoint, if I were a CG owner and had wifi available for everyone, I'd raise the fees by a buck or so (rates increase yearly anyway) and advertise "free wifi".

Say you stayed at your favorite cg last year and paid $X per night or week or month. Now you go back this year and find that the rates have increased by 5% BUT the wifi is free. Is it?? I'll bet that the cost is buried in the price increase someplace.

<font color=blue>F250 Supercab</font>, <font color=#33ccff>Prowler 5ver,</font>,</font><font color=red> Colorado Springs CO</font>
Old 02-15-2005, 10:50 PM   #35

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Say you stayed at your favorite cg last year and paid $X per night or week or month. Now you go back this year and find that the rates have increased by 5% BUT the wifi is free. Is it?? I'll bet that the cost is buried in the price increase someplace. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would stay there wouldn't you? The price of everything is going up so if this were the only campground in the area offering free wifi, why not? Wouldn't you?

Old 02-16-2005, 08:41 AM   #36

When you run a park you see all the hidden costs of doing business. I am sure we all would like to give lots of free services but we are also in business.

Apple Hill RV Park Brookings Oregon
Old 02-16-2005, 09:39 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RichB:
Strictly from a business standpoint, if I were a CG owner and had wifi available for everyone, I'd raise the fees by a buck or so (rates increase yearly anyway) and advertise "free wifi". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yup, there's no such thing as a free lunch. Unless a campground owner is willing to take a hit on the profit line, revenues have to reflect costs. I agree, though - bump the rates $1/night and include the wifi.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
Old 02-16-2005, 10:57 AM   #38

Hey RustyJC are you lost? This aint DTR

Old 02-16-2005, 03:46 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Oh, they leave the gate open here at iRV2.com every now and then. When they do, I sneak in!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
Old 02-17-2005, 09:44 AM   #40

OH just noticed the Badge
on Rusty

Ramlovingvettryingtobehave

Old 02-20-2005, 02:02 PM   #41

As a cg owner/operator, I am interested in the possibility of adding this service to our customers. How can I find out more?
Roadkill
Old 02-22-2005, 02:08 AM   #42

I would suggest that you look to see who is offering it locally. Check with your phone company. Check the yellow pages to see which isp are offering wireless.

I would suggest that you compare prices and what they are recommending as far as equipment.

I would also suggest that you have a plan in mind before calling someone. Do you want to just offer it at the office or do you want to pay for it to reach to all your sites? Do you want to handle collecting fees or do you want the WiFi company to do that?

You can do an internet search for "wifi" and come up with several companies but you should have someone local who is offering it.