Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Campground Operators
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-15-2004, 11:24 AM   #1
mpj

A customer just came into my office and wanted to use our WIFI. PROBLEM: he is staying at another campground in the area that does not offer WIFI. Since I offer this service to MY campers at no charge, should I allow those who are not staying here to use it? After I told the gentleman "NO" I decided to ask the members her what their feeling are. He thought I was not "camper friendly" said he would stay "elsewhere" next time he was in this area. I told him he already was "elsewhere". I would like some feed back - positive and negative. Thank you in advance for your view points.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2004, 11:24 AM   #2
mpj

A customer just came into my office and wanted to use our WIFI. PROBLEM: he is staying at another campground in the area that does not offer WIFI. Since I offer this service to MY campers at no charge, should I allow those who are not staying here to use it? After I told the gentleman "NO" I decided to ask the members her what their feeling are. He thought I was not "camper friendly" said he would stay "elsewhere" next time he was in this area. I told him he already was "elsewhere". I would like some feed back - positive and negative. Thank you in advance for your view points.

Old 10-15-2004, 12:03 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I'm not an owner- just a customer. I agree with you. He's not your customer, just a freeloader.

I will say another thing about WiFi. When this started, I thought that WiFi in campgrounds would be a good thing, so I got the gear needed and waited for the opportunity to use it in a campground.

During our two month trip this past Aug/Sept we had 4 opportunities to use WiFi in campgrounds.

At the first campground the manager said that the system was down and he probably was going to get rid of it since few people were using it. Upon inquiring as to the fee he had been charging, it was stated that you get 2 hrs for $5.

At the next 3 campgrounds that had WiFi, I found that that the charges varied between $4 and $5 for 2 or 3 hours. The 3rd campgound (a KOA) charged $5 for 3 hours or $8 for 24 hrs.

I have decided that these fee's are a little steep and I will not use WiFi at those rates. However, I would pay $2, maybe $3 for 3 or more hours access.

I do not believe that WiFi should be free, but a little more reasonable rate by some of the campgrounds would generate more use ( all 4 of the campgrounds reported light use of their WiFi system).

You provide a nice service for your customers. I'll bet you could charge $2 for unlimited service and recover some of your costs, with little grumbling from customers. I would gladly pay that.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:55 PM   #4
mpj

Thank you for your viewpoint. I offer it free in order to keep customers coming back. I have heard stories about paying for the service then the time runs out. Our Guest computer has issues but the service is free with your own laptop until we get all the bugs out. By 2005 we WILL be rady for you campers and we still will offer it FREE.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:19 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I agree with you too, that person shouldn't have expectations of using your WiFi for free. You could consider WiFi similarly to other commodities such as sewer dumping, electricity, water, etc. Folks who aren't camping there shouldn't have expectations of getting any of that stuff free.

Have you considered offering it to people who aren't staying at your campground for a fee? Maybe you could pick up some extra revenue to help offset some of your investment and expense.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:32 PM   #6

I agree, charge a reasonable fee for it and ask them to stay at your park next time and it will be free. I commend you for offering it for free to your customers.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:31 AM   #7

If you allow non-campers to dump for a fee then you may consider allowing non-campers to use your wifi for a fee. An alternative would be to not let them use it but locate wifi places (hot spots & cafes?) or other places that will allow them internet access. This may actually help you to acquire more customers since you are so helpful. You could make a printout of things like the local off-air TV stations, cable offerings ($ for cable hook-up), your WiFi rates, and the list of the "local" wifi places (whom most likely charge). Give this to customers & non-customers. What would you rather do? Sit in the comfort of your RV or even walk up to the campground's wifi cafe OR schlep out to find a wifi place that hopefully is open and it's not raining (it always seems to rain on us, is it different for other folks). I know one of my kids goes to a place in Franklin that lets folks use their computers for an hourly fee. You could find places like that by contacting the local providers.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:24 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I hope that this is a very isolated incident.

You did right and the advice above is good.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:15 PM   #9

Not having ever used WiFi, I don't know the in's & out's but Why not offer it at a hefty price that would be higher than the going rate at kinkos or where ever else they offer it in your area. You are there to offer services to the public, right? I can't see turning money down when it is offered unless you would have to give him equipment that he might carry off with him. In that case make a deposit for the equipment that is equal to its replacement value. Plus get his drivers license number, home address & telephone number. Tell him if he will stay with you next time the service will be free.