Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2016, 06:34 PM   #1

1 Week in AK, What would you see?

Folks here were great in helping me plan my trip to Canadian Maritimes last year. My wife and I are flying to Anchorage last week in August for a conference. Then plan on renting a Class C for a week of travel. If you had one week to see this part of AK, what is a must see? Definitely planning on Denali. Suggested campgrounds?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2016, 06:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Before or after your Denali visit a trip down to the Kenai Pennisula to see Homer and Seward should be on your list.

Stay on the Homer Spit while in Homer. Lots of campgrounds to choose from including a municipal one. Do some fishing if you have the time.

Seward has a municipal campground right on Resurrection Bay. Great campsites with great views for very little cost.

While in Seward take a National Park Boat Tour with Kenai Fjords Boat Tours to see lots of sea life and bird life. Also take a short drive up to Exit Glacier.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0137.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	118470   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0126.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	431.5 KB
ID:	118471  

Name:	IMG_5934.JPG
Size:	393.2 KB
ID:	118472   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5952.JPG
Size:	387.3 KB
ID:	118473  

Old 02-06-2016, 07:09 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nice haul. I lived up there in the late 70's. It is on our long list.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
A week isn't a long time when you consider the amount of driving you have to go to get anywhere.

If you are going to Denali there is a campground right at the entrance but you miss most of the park. They also have a campground in the park ~30 miles in but there is a 3 night minimum stay. At minimum I would recommend taking the Green Bus tour into the park at least to the visitor center and if possible to Wonder Lake but it is a full day trip.

A trip all the way to Homer AK on the Kenai is also good. Several places to stop along the way. Seward AK is also on the Kenai.

We spent a month in AK back in 2009 and didn't get to see much of it. Planning on going back possibly in 2017
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #5

We've stayed at two campgrounds in Denali - Riley Creek is in the front area and Teklanika is the farthest you can drive with a RV. Both places have plenty to do. If you stay in Riley Creek sign up for one of the 'school bus' tours to take you further back into the park. The drivers are very knowledgeable and can easily find animals for you.

If you stay at Teklanika, purchase the TEK pass and you can ride the 'school bus' tour as often as you want. Sometimes we'd just go out in the morning; sometimes just toward evening, and we also took it for the all-day trip to Wonder Lake but in our opinion, it's not necessary to go that far. We saw more animals and the scenery was better before getting to Wonder Lake.

The end of August you'd probably see more bears than earlier in the summer because they'll be out and busy eating berries and roots, storing up for winter. It's a fantastic place!

If you think you'll have enough time then yes, head down the Kenai Peninsula but trying to go north to Denali then south down the Peninsula will take more driving time than you think. At that time of year I wouldn't make reservations for the Kenai. There are plenty of places to stay and you might not make it down the whole way. Just take it unplanned and you'll be fine. The tiny towns along the way down the Kenai are great to poke around.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
You could go North from Anchorage and hit Denali for a night or two (about 200 miles). Then travel another 125 miles to Fairbanks. There you have the RiverBoat Discovery, great cruise down the Chena River to a Alaskan Village (2-3 hours). The Fairbanks Visitor Center is a wealth of info and ample RV parking.

Traveling Southwest of Fairbanks, you will come across North Pole ( about 15 miles) and Santa Claus House. You also have the Alaskan Pipeline viewing area in Fairbanks. Traveling SW and South of that area it will be about 300+ miles to Valdez. From there you can get back to Anchorage along the Glenn highway (300 miles). And maybe spend 2 days Seward and Homer.

Over-all you could easily travel 1600 miles and do a big loop, or skip Valdez and lower that to 1200 miles.

If you were at all able to stretch that to 10 days, you will thank yourself with a slower pace.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We traveled to AK in 2012 and toured for 2-1/2 months. The highlight was an airplane ride and glacier landing in Denali on Eldridge Glacier. We camped at Talkeetna Camper Park where we boarded our 6 passenger Cessna 185 from Sheldon Air at the airport for the 2 hour flight. Our two grandsons joined us for three weeks of our trip.This was amazing. The memory always comes back as I think about our AK trip.

Homer was also a highlight: Dry Camping on the spit, fishing for Halibut, taking a water taxi across Kachemak Bay and climbing Gracie Ridge

Also take a 26 glacier Tour from Whittier.

https://talkeetnacamper.com/

Talkeetna, Denali NP, McKinley charter flights - Sheldon Air Service

https://www.phillipscruises.com/

Safe Travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE

Pics: 1- Eldridge Glacier landing, 2- Great Gorge of Ruth Glacier & view of Mt. McKinley, 3- Grace Ridge Trail, and 4- view across Kachemak Bay form our dry camp.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01884.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	118494   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01812.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	118495  

Name:	DSC05305.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	118496   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02290.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	118497  

RV735 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:35 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
You could go North from Anchorage and hit Denali for a night or two (about 200 miles). Then travel another 125 miles to Fairbanks. There you have the RiverBoat Discovery, great cruise down the Chena River to a Alaskan Village (2-3 hours). The Fairbanks Visitor Center is a wealth of info and ample RV parking.

Traveling Southwest of Fairbanks, you will come across North Pole ( about 15 miles) and Santa Claus House. You also have the Alaskan Pipeline viewing area in Fairbanks. Traveling SW and South of that area it will be about 300+ miles to Valdez. From there you can get back to Anchorage along the Glenn highway (300 miles). And maybe spend 2 days Seward and Homer.

Over-all you could easily travel 1600 miles and do a big loop, or skip Valdez and lower that to 1200 miles.

If you were at all able to stretch that to 10 days, you will thank yourself with a slower pace.
I think this route is a good one but I would opt for the 3 days at Teklanika campground in Denali and shorten the Seward and Homer trip. A week is short and i predict you will be back.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #9

I agree with the three days at Teklanika in Denali. We were there in August 2015 and saw so many bears on our school bus tour. Lots of moms and cubs feasting on berry bushes. Saw plenty of caribou too. And a clear day brought out Mt. Denali in all its glory.
I also agree about not traveling to Wonder Lake. There is not that much scenery and 60 mile round trip on a school bus is enough! Also, if you want to do a day cruise and can't make it to the Kenai, Stan Stephens Cruise out of Valdez is very good too. The road to Valdez has outstanding scenery and waterfalls.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:52 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Anchorage to Valdez and back to Anchorage is 600 miles round trip. That's 2 days of driving alone for me and that's without stopping to take photos and absorb the scenery.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #11

Great Stuff

Folks, All Good Stuff. Studying the maps and following your suggestions to see what I am comfortable doing.(of course, we all know that in the end it is what Mama decides)
Planning to do this again in 7-8 years when I am retired and have more time. Tim
Old 02-07-2016, 06:00 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I think you should go north or south from Anchorage but not both because it is too much for a single week. If it were me I would do Whittier (Great tour boat trip to glaciers) Seward (Nifty town with awesome municipal campground on the bay and a fascinating aquarium), Homer (Picturesque fishing village). There is lot more to see in this direction and you will have no problem spending an enjoyable week.

If you choose to go north, then do take the ski plane from Kalteekna to the Ruth Glacier in Denali NP. From there to Denali and then Fairbanks and back to Anchorage. This trip will easily fill your week.

I just don't think you have time to do justice to both routes in one week. While in Anchorage go see the Lake Hood seaplane base which is unique in all the world.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Tim, decide what is important to you, wildlife, go north to Denali, fishing go South, Homer, Seward, etc. In 2014 we toured Alaska for 2 months, while we were in Homer I went charter fishing and brought home 40 # of filleted halibut. We have phenomenal bear/elk/caribou/etc pictures from Denali (check www.capecodtoalaska2014.com for pictures of each area). After getting all the advice here only you can decide which is best. But flying tomAnchorage and renting a class C is a great idea, try to stretch a few more days, you will thank yourself!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:22 PM   #14

Short answer reaction is, not much. Choose which way carefully.

Park entrance at Denali is about a day, given a few stops along the way to oooo & aaahhh. It is a long day bus ride from one of the entrance area CGs deep into the park & back. There is 3 days not counting picking up & stocking RV or dropping it off.

Anchorage to Homer is a day & 1/2 allowing some stops to enjoy the scenery. Homer is a fishing town with a fishing problem. You can't go to Homer without a fishing trip or at the very least buy some fish.

To get the iconic views of Homer you have to drive up the mountain above town. Finding spots to stop & get those views takes some doing.

Given that you only have a week & Denali seems to be top priority, do that then back past Anchorage & head to Seward. Fishing there too. Also a really good aquarium.

Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote