Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2019, 10:19 AM   #1

$12,000 Camping Club Membership?

Curious if the membership we are looking at is pretty typical for campground memberships? I realize that the more you use your membership the more it makes sense from a financial standpoint.

We are looking into joining a "Camping Club" at a private campground near where we live - Duncans Mills Camping Club . They won't tell us up front what the fees are until we do a $70 2 night, 3 day trial stay with a scheduled "tour" during our stay to go over everything.

I have estimated the total fees will be about $12,000 for a 10yr membership and to break even, we would need to stay there at least 2 weeks a year. I don't know yet about the ability to use other membership campgrounds with this membership yet. Their website does not include a lot of information about their program and when I scheduled my trial stay, they said its $70 vs. $60 listed on their website and "have not been able to update the website yet". This is kind of a pet peeve for me in that your online presence is the first thing people look at to see about your campground.
wildcat30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Personal, it sounds like the alarm bells are already sounding just based what you have posted thus far. While some people may have a "home base", one of the advantages of RVing is that you get to explore. I sure wouldn't waist that kind of money for a single place!

Not really that greatly rated either: http://www.campgroundreviews.com/reg...ping-club-4845
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
Personal, it sounds like the alarm bells are already sounding just based what you have posted thus far.
Agreed, we have been RV'ing for 10 years, on our 2nd 5er and have gone to many RV shows including Tampa show and have occasionally looked into camping memberships but it has been awhile, so curious how far out of line this offer is? Granted this campground is in an area where full hookup campgrounds near/on the coast of NorCal run around $80 a night or more.
wildcat30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:32 AM   #4

So every year for next 2 years you will go there for total of 2 week stays.........must be a really great place to go ALL the time.

We bought a Membership with Coast to Coast, RPI & AOR affiliate camping memberships....for $950 TOTAL buy in via RESALE cause we were FTng and could stay at Home Park when in the area and use the affiliate memberships across the USA

Buying into a membership and then being locked into using it over and over and over is not the kind of camping I would want to do.

Going to the 'tour/presentation' in many cases will 'lock you out' of purchasing membership via RESALE for 2 yrs.
Campground NOT providing info unless you pay/stay/tour is because they do NOT want you to =be informed and question costs/fees etc until you are sitting on front of them so they hard sell and 'play the Discount for you just today' game

Memberships work...........for FTng and when purchased CHEAP
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:37 AM   #5

Hustle, bait and switch, hide and seek - this deal has all the signs of a swindle.
RiverBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #6

Sounds like a timeshare scheme.
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:22 AM   #7

$12,000.00 Camping Membership

P.T. Barnum is remembered for "Promoting Celebrated Hoaxes" and of course a Circus. This doesn't sound like a Circus !

If it sounds too good to be true, ... and so it goes.

I would save my money and spend it on something that would benefit you and your family better a few years later "down the road".

JMTCW,
MovingMann
MovingMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #8

According the the older reviews on this site it used to be or perhaps still is a ROD (Resorts of Distinction) membership park. The most recent review is not good.

Duncan Mills Camping Club - Duncans Mills, CA - Campground Reviews
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
Personal, it sounds like the alarm bells are already sounding just based what you have posted thus far. While some people may have a "home base", one of the advantages of RVing is that you get to explore. I sure wouldn't waist that kind of money for a single place!

Not really that greatly rated either: Duncan Mills Camping Club - Duncans Mills, CA - Campground Reviews
same here. run, do not walk, away from this. the simple fact that they won't divulge info up front tells me that the fees are very high.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:38 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Duncans Mills used to be a Thousand Trails property, and we stayed there once. It's right on the river and the sites were adequate. Be aware that the reason Thousand Trails sold the property was that it flooded EVERY winter when the river jumped its banks. They got tired of dumping money into it every year to repair flood damage.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:43 PM   #11

Think time share for RV.

Ask them for the contracts for your lawyer to review and watch them sputter.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat30 View Post
Curious if the membership we are looking at is pretty typical for campground memberships? I realize that the more you use your membership the more it makes sense from a financial standpoint.

We are looking into joining a "Camping Club" at a private campground near where we live - Duncans Mills Camping Club . They won't tell us up front what the fees are until we do a $70 2 night, 3 day trial stay with a scheduled "tour" during our stay to go over everything.

I have estimated the total fees will be about $12,000 for a 10yr membership and to break even, we would need to stay there at least 2 weeks a year. I don't know yet about the ability to use other membership campgrounds with this membership yet. Their website does not include a lot of information about their program and when I scheduled my trial stay, they said its $70 vs. $60 listed on their website and "have not been able to update the website yet". This is kind of a pet peeve for me in that your online presence is the first thing people look at to see about your campground.

I can do a LOT of camping anywhere I'd like for $12K.....without the hassles of a hard-sell membership.
Oversoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #13

Have you considered a ZONE Membership with Thousand Trails? $585/yr...add a ZONE for $54

No long term commitment 1 yr at a time

Northwest ---BC,OR, WA
Southwest ---CA, NV, AZ

https://www.thousandtrails.com/membership-info
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:54 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
20 year's ago it was Time Share's.........now its RV Share's...........Not for me back then and for sure not now.

Tags
camping