Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2017, 06:25 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Same as you my wife loved her first visit into the Canadian Tire store there in Whitehorse.

I have followed Chris & G Travels since day one. I actually meet them in Seward last summer camped 3 sites from us in the city waterfront campground. They both worked at the Sealife Center there which included a free ($40 a night) electric campsite. But Chris said 2016 was going to be the last summer for the free campsite. So I'm not sure what their summer plan is. When I saw their last YouTube post they were still traveling north. Normally they are up there early May. Not sure how far behind he is posting videos.

We also stayed in the same boondocking spot as they did on that lake that starts with the letter K.

Any desire to do and gold panning / prospecting? There are a number of "free" State owned claims. Trust, if you willing to work a little you will get gold.

Once you hit Alaska, will you be heading towards Fairbanks or go south on the Tok Cut-off route towards Valdez or Anchorage? The Tok Cut off route at least last summer was said to be sort in bad shape.

I've emailed with Chris a bit the past few days and they are in Seward. We had originally planned to do the Alaska loop counterclockwise with Fairbanks first, but then we decided to do it clockwise, but it appears our main LP regulator for the trailer has died, so if we can't get it fixed in Tok tomorrow we will try for Fairbanks for repairs. Nothing has related works in our trailer, not the reefer, the stove, oven or furnace. Went to one shop and called another in Whitehorse this morning and they couldn't get to it until Monday. So we are camped at an electric site in Beaver Creek tonight. The worst part is it's been raining for four damn days!!

bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #156

2017 Florida to Alaska Trip

Day 21, 7/15/17: Well, what a day. The reefer quit working and it appears the main regulator on the trailer has died because now nothing LP works, not even the stove. Both tanks are full and I've switched tanks to no avail. We tried two repair places in Whitehorse this morning, but they couldn't get to it until Monday. We rolled out of Whitehorse around 10:00 AM this morning and are currently sitting in an electric site in Beaver Creek, so at least the reefer will cool back down and we have the microwave and a small electric heater for some heat. The lady at the campground said we can probably get it repaired in Tok tomorrow and she would call them to verify or else we'll shoot for repairs in Fairbanks Monday. Lordy, but I have to say all those frost heaves for several klics north of Destruction Bay really suck. Then the road got fairly decent for several kilometers before we ran into road construction with detours through some really muddy gravel. The worst part is that it has been raining for four days now!!!! Tomorrow looks drier, though.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #157

2017 Florida to Alaska Trip

Does anyone know of a RV repair shop or mobile tepair service in Tok or Fairbanks that can replace the LP regulator on our trailer?
Old 07-15-2017, 10:31 PM   #158

Don't bypass Skagway, camp at Pullen Creek and ask for the backend site facing the harbor. You can walk everywhere but the drive from Whitehorse to Skagway is very interesting. Rainbow Lake was exceptional. If you are a foodie, great Thai restaurant.

2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #159

We made it!!! Currently sitting at Fast Eddy's in Tok having lunch. Lots of frost heaves between Beaver Creek and Tok, but the Highway got very nice a few miles east of Tok. Yea!!!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0521.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	441.6 KB
ID:	168964
Old 07-16-2017, 03:02 PM   #160

You find a place to get you squared away with the gas?
Old 07-16-2017, 03:16 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by trs80 View Post
You find a place to get you squared away with the gas?

No, not yet. Probably have to get to Fairbanks?
Old 07-16-2017, 03:32 PM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher003 View Post
No, not yet. Probably have to get to Fairbanks?
Wish I knew to help.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:28 PM   #163

Welcome to Alaska! You can try either alaska rv or arctic rv in fairbanks. We have two to choose from! Both will probably be busy and may require a bit of pleading.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:53 PM   #164

Wow! You two look so happy!
Old 07-16-2017, 09:01 PM   #165

Day 22, 7/16/17: We left our campsite in Beaver Creek around 10:00 AM. The Highway had a lot of frost heaves between there and the AK border. Stopped at the boundary and took all the requisite pictures.

Name:	IMG_0520.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	682.3 KB
ID:	169009
The US border crossing was a snap. We handed him our passports and he asked if we had cigarettes, alcohol and firearms. I said, "yes, yes and yes." He asked to see the Canadian Firearms Declaration Form and I handed it to him. He gave a brief look and handed everything back to me and wished us a good day. Nice!
We stopped in Tok and had a great lunch at Fast Eddy's. Boy, were they ever busy with the local crowd! My wife loved the fried fresh halibut strips and the cheeseburger I had was the best I've had in a while. We mailed a couple of postcards to our Grandsons at the post office, then stopped at the Tesora station for gas. I went in and asked them if they had any auto switching LP regulators and sure enough, they did. All my gas fittings matched and while the mount didn't match up with it, I attached it with ty-wraps. They even loaned me a tube of sealant to use and I changed it out in there parking lot. Leak tested the fittings with some soapy water and all was good. The stove worked and the fridge now works as it should. Then I went in and paid them $53 for it. Bliss!!! We then left Tok and headed for Mile 1422, the end of the AH in Delta Junction. Good Road about all the way and we cruised at 55-60 mph into Delta Junction. Went to the visitor center and got the pictures of the mile 1422 end of the AH market.

Name:	IMG_0571.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	169012
Asked the woman at the visitor center to confirm that unless a turnout, parking area, etc., was marked otherwise we could park for the night. She said the Alaska highways are your playground, park anywhere you like and recommended a couple of turnouts a few miles up the road. We are spending the night at the one at mile marker 288, literally right next to the Tanana River.

Name:	IMG_0579.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	583.0 KB
ID:	169014
Just living the dream! What a campsite for our first night in Alaska! Can any of you veteran Alaska RV'ers tell me what the etiquette is for turnout overnight parking? We have our slide out, but what about stabilizer jacks, etc.? We did not put ours down. Oh, and this site is within the lines on our levels.
All in all, a fantastic day!!! Outside temperature is 72 degrees at 7:00 PM Alaska Time.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:41 AM   #166

This is Alaska! The Last Frontier! Many people live here because of the lack of etiquette. I think as long as you don't set up a laundry line or start a small swap meet you will be okay. Sounds like you will cruise thru Willow tomorrow on your way south. We live in Willow during summers. Will be here all day tomorrow. Send me a PM if you want to get together.
megehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:54 PM   #167

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Glad you got your propane issue fixed....

As far as campgrounds & boon-docking in the North Pole / Fairbanks area. I know this area fairly well. (Sis-n-law) lives in North Pole, so we get to stay there in her driveway. I told her when we left last Sept we want to go ahead and reserve site #1 for June of 2019.

About 2 miles east of North Pole you have Chena Lakes State Park. They have 2 loops of non electric sites. They have water and a dump station. During the week there will hardly anyone there. Close to my sis-n-laws house so we ride our bikes there and pick berries. The campground next to Santa Clause House in North Pole closed about 5 years ago. NW. of North Pole on Badger Rd. is Riverview Campground. Fairly nice park, they take Good Sam, clean laundry, nice pull thru sites. $43 full service

In Fairbanks you have Chena River Wayside (State Park) They do have "some" electric sites (other sites are dry sites), but over-all I think the place is kind of dumpy. The only private one is towards the western side of Fairbanks and is called Rivers Edge. Place is OK, but higher priced than the one off Badger rd. $55-60 full service.

Just north of Fairbanks towards the NE. you have Chena Hot Springs. It's about 50-60 miles to the actual Hot Springs Resort at the end of the paved road. But there are two state parks (Rose Hip and Granite Tors). We like Granite Tors...(Moose like to hang out near there). The Chena Hot Springs has a campground, but to me it was kind of crappy and very tight.

** There are some boondocking spots along the Chena Hot Springs road. PM me for my favorite...Nice spot with 6 free campsites with pit toilet, fire rings and tables. There are two lakes you can pull your RV 2' from the waters edge and watch beaver hard at work. Nice solid gravel surface. (about 500' off the Chena Hot Springs rd.)

The Fairbanks Walmart has boondocking, and will be active with "long term" RV's parked there. Just a note, Fairbanks has it's share of crime...so just watch yourself.

Free dump and water fill at the Sourdough Fuel station at Badge rd exit for North Pole. Instead of going south for North Pole, the station is 1000' north of the exit on Badger Rd. The Dump is next to the steel building behind the gas station. The water fill hose is on the back wall of the station. We used that location maybe 4-5 times last summer.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:35 PM   #168

Thanks, Superslif. By the time I saw your suggestions we were already set up at Rivers Edge. You're right—it is pricey! $54 a night with the GS discount for a pull thru, full hookup site and boy is this place packed! We got here about 15 minutes earlier than the Noon check in and they told my wife we would have to wait until noon! My wife also said they weren't real friendly about it either. LOL So we just sat in the checkin lane until Noon. I have an appointment at the Ford dealer in the AM for an oil change, lube and battery and alternator test. I think our F150's 4-5 year old Florida original battery is going south. Since this truck is a Platinum with all the bells and whistles and I have all sorts of electronics running 24 hours a day (TPMS, Garmin RV760, cell phones, headlights on when towing, etc.) the battery works hard. Anyway, should get that squared away tomorrow morning and I've already told my wife that since we have our LP system squared away we are going to do some serious boondocking. LOL. I wasn't real worried about the battery going dead at a boondocking site because I can always fire up our Champion 3,400 watt genny sitting in the back of the truck and hook the charger up we carry.

Tags
florida